How can I make the virgin disk imgae of My Cloud 2TB?

I bought WD My Cloud yesterday and want to make the virgin disk image like in this below link to make restore bricked My Cloud.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Debrick-MyBookLive-v2-0/td-p/567582

Step 1: Void your warranty.
Step 2: Open the chassis and remove the drive.
Step 3: Attach drive to your PC
Step 4: image the disk using your favorite imaging software.

Thanks! Great solution!

And How can I make small size like just 4 or 5GB ?

What is your recommand utility in windows and linux?

To make the image in linux use “disk” utility in ubuntu likes distros (live edition should work too).

To reduce side to move 7zip is your friend.

Pretty simple without having to open the drive to make a backup of the OS

Boot up the drive and enable SSH

Login to the drive using PuTTY (Windows) or Terminal on (OSX)

Type this command to reset the firmware to a factory state

/usr/local/sbin/factoryRestore.sh noreformat

Type this command to backup all of the OS partitions etc

dd if=/dev/sda of=/DataVolume/shares/Public/mycloud.img bs=1M count=5000

Wait around 5 minutes for it to finish and you should have a file named mycloud.img in your Public folder

Copy the file to your computer for safe keeping

The file will contain all partitions and some empty data from the data partition

Then you can just follow the MyBookLive guide to basically write the image back in the event you hard brick but you will want to save your data off the bricked drive before doing so as the image runs into the data partition 396MB for extra measure

When mounting the image in R-Linux you can see all the partitions are there along with 396MB of blank data from the data partition

mycloudimg.jpg

4 Likes

Heh… Leave it to nfodiz to remind me I don’t know much about Linux. :slight_smile:

nfodiz wrote:

Type this command to backup all of the OS partitions etc

Wait around 5 minutes for it to finish and you should have a file named mycloud.img in your Public folder

Copy the file to your computer for safe keeping

The file will contain all partitions and some empty data from the data partition

Thanks nfodiz i was looking for this ssh command. :slight_smile:

Is this a full disk image with all partition layout less the data in data partiton (ext4)?

It’s possible to write the image back from ssh?

Yes this is a full disk image minus the entirety of the whole data partition. There will be 396MB of blank data in the image just to set the data partition up. When you write the image back to the MyCloud a quick or full factory restore will format the data volume for you.

You would actually have to take the drive out of the case and use a Linux distro or the bootable SystemRescueCD etc to write the image back

To write the image back you would simply follow step 10 from the other guide

On some Linux distros SUDO will be required before each command

1. In terminal type the commands below (Make sure you change sdb1 (For the thumbdrive or usb hard drive) and sda (for the MBL hard drive) to whatever they show up as in GPARTED)

mkdir /mnt/usb
    mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
    dd if=/mnt/usb/mycloud.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Heh… Leave it to nfodiz to remind me I don’t know much about Linux. :slight_smile:

LOL Tony! I seem to forget it as quick as I learn it though. I find myself checking old posts of mine quite often to remember how I did something :slight_smile:

1 Like

nfodiz wrote:

Yes this is a full disk image minus the entirety of the whole data partition. There will be 396MB of blank data in the image just to set the data partition up. When you write the image back to the MyCloud a quick or full factory restore will format the data volume for you.

You would actually have to take the drive out of the case and use a Linux distro or the bootable SystemRescueCD etc to write the image back

To write the image back you would simply follow step 10 from the other guide

1. In terminal type the commands below (Make sure you change sdb1 (For the thumbdrive or usb hard drive) and sda (for the MBL hard drive) to whatever they show up as in GPARTED)

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
dd if=/mnt/usb/mycloud.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M

“Disk” utility will do the job in ubuntu likes using restore image to disk?

I would guess so but I am not familiar with that utility as I run Windows on my machines. I have installed Ubuntu in a VM once to play around but most of my experience comes from the command line and PuTTY with the MyBookLive and MyCloud drives and Debian

You may want to ask sammarbella just to be sure :slight_smile:

i asked myself but didn’t find the answer…

It’s possible to save the image using ssh direcltly to local partition folder?

Login in ssh trough winscp or putty alone?

Great!

I’ll try and share image for us.

Hallo, please could you tell me if the procedure you descibe  here would work on my 4tb box. The thing is that right know is almost full of data. is there a way to create an image of the system only and not the ext4 partitions?

Thanks in advance

Andreas

Yes. that’s right.

andreaspf8585 wrote:

Hallo, please could you tell me if the procedure you descibe  here would work on my 4tb box. The thing is that right know is almost full of data. is there a way to create an image of the system only and not the ext4 partitions?

Thanks in advance

Andreas

Unfortunately all images on the net are more or less broken.