Home screen (rv_home.xml ) overlay png without flickering when scrolling

My main menu screen is a modification of the Aeon inspired osd where there is a png overlay colouring the centre/selected option.  However when you scroll the png overlay ‘flickers’ quickly, tolerable but would like to stop the flicker.  So I looked at Joey’s Gallery Movie Thumbnail Trick osd and thought…hey he managed to not have his overlay flicker when scrolling between movies , why cant the same be done with this overlay on the main menu page.  Have tried to tweak but no luck…is it possible to stop this overlay flicker?

Here is the code I’m using :

- -<mlmenu lbmask=“d” autoenter=“1” is_loop=“1” valkey=“rv-home-menu”>

<mlmenuview display_item_cnt=“5” bg=“2” h=“462” w=“1280” y=“358” x=“0” draw_init_animation=“0” style=“rv_home” changed=“@@rv-home-menu-changed” ctrlname=“rv-home-menu”/>

<image scale=“100” bg=“1” h=“80” w=“320” y=“543” x=“480” image=“image/main_menu_select_up.png”/> <include filename=“./info.xml”/>

Any ideas?

Here is a screenshot of the main menu

1 Like

The overlayed png only flicks once per scroll,and is a fast flick, obviously a redraw…I guess.

I also created different colour overlays, looks pretty good.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t see your pics yet, but are you talking about the menu background?  The image behind the menu icons.

no, the image behind the meny is gone, or reduced to nothing.  I have created an overlay png  that sits right at the centre of the selection

So, it’s similar to what I did with Voodoo in the pic HERE.

Ok, so here’s what I did with mine and works great.  It uses the “inc_time.xml” to display the backgound instead of adding an image to the “rv_home.xml”

See the post HERE.

Also, you get the added benefit of it not displaying when you have the dashboard up, so you don’t see it behind the dashboard overlay.

ahhh , so instead of displaying/adding  a new imae I would use that instead…as the overlay image and there fore avoiding the flicker…  hopefully my image will be up soon, I was using time and weather. 

Is the include  time the same for all pages?  so wouldnt it show up on other pages also in said spot?

thinking more it likely wont work, wait and see my image. 

It may be a while before the pic shows up, you may want to upload to somewhere like Flickr.  But there is another trick for the time/whether if you are displaying them, if you want  a backgroud to display.

HomerJ,

I can see your pic now and the time trick will  work for what you are wanting to do, if the blue part is behind your Video, Music, etc. icons.  

Very nice work by the way.

thanks, I could upload the whole thing if people wanted, it’s a mod of Joey’s osd, but tweaked to my liking, screenshot does not do it justice.

Oh, and the time trick didn’t work , I assume it’s because the blue overlay is not behind, it’s over the top of them ,  wouldn’t have the same wash effect if it was under.

thanks for your help though.

I think my TV and Movie folder would be better looking if  we could use png’s for folder rather than jpg’s only .

HomerJ wrote:

thanks, I could upload the whole thing if people wanted, it’s a mod of Joey’s osd, but tweaked to my liking, screenshot does not do it justice.

Oh, and the time trick didn’t work , I assume it’s because the blue overlay is not behind, it’s over the top of them ,  wouldn’t have the same wash effect if it was under.

thanks for your help though.

That’s the reason for the flicker then.  If you place an image over the top of the menu icons then you get this effect and there’s really no way to fix it other than puting the image behind it.

But you can still use the time trick, you just set "bg=“0” ", I did this in the being, but didn’t like the flicker, so I had to set it to the background.

Great HomerJ!!

Love the classic photo of the theatre in the background.

This is just what theming is all about- customizing a theme to suit one’s own personal preferences!

looking forward to seeing more.

I am currently workin on my own theme, based on other great themer’s work before, but with  just slight tweaks and mods to suit my personal aesthetics. Its such along and drawn out process (trial and limited knowledge errors), but hopefully will be worthwhile.

BIG hands up to the guys who have all helped us along the way!!

I think you will know who you all are :smiley:

If not then may  I credit them all as follows- in no particular order- 

JoeySmyth, ExD, TW, JuliosJS, PAzator, Firetix, Drizz and many others to name but a few!!

thanks guys, much appreciate the info.  My wife is completely annoyed at my tweaking, she thinks it’s just a waste of time…silly girl  :smileyvery-happy:

Yes big thanks to all of you have shared your great info with us yearning to learn.

I feel your pain, mine says that I’m “obsessed”.  WOMEN!, you can’t live without them, you can’t turn them off with the remote.:smileyvery-happy:

lol, or on for that matter …when necessary  :smileyvery-happy:

True. 

If you would, upload your theme.  I’d like to take a look at what you’ve done.

1 Like

ok, uploaded it, here is the link, hope you like it

Aeon Tweak

Wifes- what do they know?

Obssessed – NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Fellas- trying to know everything about theming !!!

Obsessed – Noooo just  being Meticulous about every detail…Pity about the OFF button option for women though!

Any Ideas themers? :smileyvery-happy:

Ha settle down boys … I happen to be a wife and a mother and my husband constantly shakes his head at me everytime I disappear into my computer and wdtv hub world!!! Who bought the hub just to watch movies on … Lol