HELP Please, I spent more than USD400 for Nothing

Hi Guys,

I dont how how to solve this issue, I am steel have sttutering issues, I just bought a new N router WRT160N and 1TB MyBook World edition, add USD150 from the WD Live plus the Buffalo Adapter, I spent more than 400USD I cant see a single movie with medium quality over the Wifi.

The strange thing is that I can if I use the adapter with a notebook, the streaming is ok with the notebook and if I play the movie from an USB, is ok too.

I am just trying to play 4.3Gb files, there are no have a great quality!!!

Please, some Help!!!

I tryied with FW 1.0.3.22 and 1.0.2.21

I dont have interferebce in my area, everything ok, and remember that the streaming with the notebook works perfect!!!

HELP PLEASE!!, I dont know what to do!!!

I should add that the files are MKV

Thaaanks

Every MKV file I’ve tried studders- No matter what quality, good or not so good. I don’t think they play well over a network with the Live plus-  I use .vob and mp4 instead.

It all depends on the bit rate of the files, not the size.  (And the Live plays MKV files just fine).

If they are high bitrate then the Live can’t do it wirelessly with the standard firmware.  Best bet is to go wired – all issues will then clear up automagically (which is what I did).

I’m no net expert, but it’s something to do with the way the Live buffers things wirelessly (um, Samba?) and there IS third party software which uses a different approach and apparently can work better in this regard, so if that interests you you should Google B-Rad.

However, I still think wired is the way to go, IMHO (and you can save yourself all that money on a fancy router and wireless cards).

almost 90% of the Blue Ray rip are in MKV, what can I do?, convert them???, what I should do?A

Thankss

These are the details from the File:

ideo
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Si
Format settings, ReFrames        : 12marcos
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                         : 1h 57min.
Bit rate                         : 4 681Kbps
Width                            : 1 280pixeles
Height                           : 536pixeles
Display aspect ratio             : 2,35:1
Frame rate                       : 23,976fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8bits
Scan type                        : Progresivo
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.285
Stream size                      : 3,76GIB (86%)
Title                            : x264_L4.1 @ 4681 Kbps
Writing library                  : x264 core 84 r1400M 20fa784
Language                         : Inglés

Actually, the bit rate for that file isn’t bad at all.

I am struck by the odd size of the frame, though – why is it 1280x536?  Do you live in a PAL country?  As an NTSC type, I’m not used to seeing that. (We would expect to see 1080 or 720).  That *might* be the issue right there.

How did you encode this file?  What software did you use and what were the presets (if any)?

I bet It’s the high ReFrame count.   12 is pretty high.   It’s the “Standard” for a video of that resolution, but being an odd resolution makes it high.   I think it’s the aspect ratio that yields the weird resolution.  It’s a 2.35:1 (a Cinema mode) so the letterboxes are cropped.

The localization in use on the MediaInfo output does suggest the OP is in a PAL region, but even for PAL, that’s a weird resolution.)

Well, if that’s the case then you and I know the answer – Handbrake with the High Profile preset!

(Ta-da!!!).

Hi Tony / Kelly,

I live in Argentina and we have PAL-N, anyway, all our equipments are NTSC and PAL, actually I use NTSC, except for Cable TV.

All these Files are downloaded from the NET, I did not convert from my self.

The strange thing here is that If I try to play the video over the wifi under G, works great, and with the WD TV under N didnt work, so I guess that the issue is the WDTV under wifi network.

One more think, what software is a good one to convert video files?? and how can I check if my network has N or G speed?

Thanks a lot!!! guys

I don’t know how to configure your particular router, but when you do “Mixed Mode” G and N configurations, you have to be very careful with the Wireless Config on the router.

One of these days, I’m going to buy a 5 Ghz N adapter for my WD, because my routers are “Dual Band.”   I can make it where G only exists at 2.4 Ghz and N only exists at 5.   That’s the BEST configuration if it’s available.

Most people here are going to agree that HandBrake is the best thing since sliced bread.  Works with the vast majority of inputs.  

Refer to section 4F of the FAQ.

Thanks Tony, I am trying to convert the same file to MP4 in order to determinate if the issue is with the MKV or with all files