Help... Hub powers up... WD light flashes... then powers itself off. :-(

If you guys want to see what the inside before you start prying yours open and poke around, here’s some pic’s from legitreviews.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1456/2/

so where’s the power cable?

It is in front of that orange thing on the top right of the device in the second picture. I would snap some pics of my own, but I don’t have a Camera at the moment. And on the third picture, you can see a little white plug thing, that is the thing b0y0ng99 pulled out. Not a big problem to pull out, just use a small flat object to slide it out.

Perhaps a video describing how to open the hub ,the steps required to unplug the cable. and photos of the particular cable will help many of us and prevent us from damaging the unit.

This will be much appreciated.

BobbyL wrote:

I think that its great that the workaround to the issue is to open up the unit and disconnect the power button cable, however many speak to this at THE fix to the problem.  In reality, it is not a fix but only a band aid workaround;  doing this results in the loss of functionality of the power switch.  If the equivalent capability is provided by the power button on the remote, I guess that is acceptable to some, but I don’t see this as the final WD fix which should be a correctly functioning power button capability on the unit.

I agree with you. In my previous post, I referred to it as a fix or solution to the problem but after reading your post, I realized that its really not a fix or solution. Its just an acceptable remedy to the problem because the function that is lost is not really important as you can use the remote to replace it. I think WD should really solve and give a fix to the problem.

The only fix is to return it for repairs or exchange.  Open it and you VOID your warranty … but if you are happy to have a brand new unit, broken and without any warranty …

I’m sure WD are beavering away on a solution right now. There must be some sort of active component on the little pcb that interfaces the power button to the main pcb that goes faulty. If you are very careful, your warranty will remain intact, as there are no seals or anything that I could see. If I had known about this ‘fix’ before, then I would have been happy to do that rather than send it back into RMA land for who knows how long, especially considering all the stuff on the drive. In a short while, someone out there will have figured out the faulty part, and post a solution for those willing to have ago at desoldering/soldering smd parts. Power button seems redundant anyway.

blogra wrote:

I’m sure WD are beavering away on a solution right now. There must be some sort of active component on the little pcb that interfaces the power button to the main pcb that goes faulty. If you are very careful, your warranty will remain intact, as there are no seals or anything that I could see. If I had known about this ‘fix’ before, then I would have been happy to do that rather than send it back into RMA land for who knows how long, especially considering all the stuff on the drive. In a short while, someone out there will have figured out the faulty part, and post a solution for those willing to have ago at desoldering/soldering smd parts. Power button seems redundant anyway.

On my panel there is no active part - just a tactile press switch, a surface mount resistor and a surface mount capacitor.

Standard setup for a de-bounced momentary contact switch, the R & C provide a time constant to the switch action.

Could be capacitor shorts out due to under voltage rating, or the switch sticks on.

Either way I wonder how WD will handle it, it’s probably a bit random amongst the batch(es) using those components.

My replacement unit’s power switch clicks when I press it, as did the old broken one.

Both units’ power buttons do nothing and never have. I have not opened up this new unit to do anything to the power button as so far it is still working. But as I said, the power button itself does nothing when pressed which is the same “functionality” as the last unit.

My second Live Hub has just bought the farm, it’s the same batch as the OZ ones and was on the stock firmware. My hopes were rising by the day but after 10 days it failed.

It’s really disappointing. mx2tall, is your Hub with WD? I don’t want to give it to them and wait for them to come up with a solution. What do you suggest I do?

that is very discouraging news.

I’m STILL awaiting replacement after 16 days now.

& It looks like i’ll just get a similarly faulty unit when it ever comes…

COME ON WD !!!

THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TREATMENT OF CUSTOMERS.

YOU ARE DRIVING US AWAY WITH THIS POOR SERVICE & FAULTY PRODUCTS.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK NOW, KEEP THE WD TV DEAD HUB !

leslie11 wrote:

My second Live Hub has just bought the farm, it’s the same batch as the OZ ones and was on the stock firmware. My hopes were rising by the day but after 10 days it failed.

It’s really disappointing. mx2tall, is your Hub with WD? I don’t want to give it to them and wait for them to come up with a solution. What do you suggest I do?

If you will ask my suggestion, I will suggest that you do the remedy which is to open your hub and disconnect the cable from the little pcb. We really can’t tell when will WD give us a permanent solution to the problem so for the mean time, that’s the best thing that you can you do in order for you to use your hub.

Thanks guys, your responses say it all. I’ll pry it open and disconnect the faulty component. Let’s just hope that this is the only problem we’ll have.

Just checked my RMA status again …

it no longer says ‘pending’…

now it says ‘Delayed’

at least 2 weeks more (was handed over 3 weeks ago)

reason given: ‘stock shortages’

I WANT MY MONEY BACK !

Sorry to hear that, I’d be peeved too if I were you.

I’m just about to start opening my Dead Hub to try and revive it.

Hey WD Guy_K.  Any updates yet on WD investigation into problem.  Specifically, when and how will WD by providing fixes to customers with problem? 

I’ve disconnected the power switch from the main PCB as directed, updated the FW and everything is running fine. Thanks to everyone for your troubleshooting advice, you’ve been a really helpful bunch!

Just one thing I’ll like to add, do not use anything to pry the lid from the main unit. I simply used my fingernails to dig in and pry it apart, you don’t need to be Hulk Hogan to be able to do it.

I had exactly the same experience (the last message was Loading Mochi…) a few hours after upgrading from a new firmware (could be coincidence though)  and had to trigger the RMA.  I was able to boot up successfully once and then tried system/factory reset but it did not work. I tried the reset button underneat the box, it did not help either.  Send it for replacement.  I found out from the product registration screen that the model numbers of the same product are different (probably due to a different country where the Live Hub was assembled / made.) 

mine same problem. returned mine 3 weeks ago. still delayed status on RMA page. called spore WD customer service. Service center asked me whether I can accept the new unit (Same Model but newer version) as replacement? otherwise i have to wait long long :frowning: I agree to accept that replacement unit cos i can’t wait any longer. If i have same problem on my replacement unit, HOW??? RMA again? WDTV was the best player for me but this time disappointed. :cry: