Help... Hub powers up... WD light flashes... then powers itself off. :-(

I had this happen to me yesterday. The hub was in standby (but the media server was still running) and all of a sudden I got a pop-up on my laptop saying the hub had been disconnected. This was the moment that it died.

Took it back today and got a new one, so we’ll see how this one goes.

Hi all, I’m the new member of this club!

After reading all 13 pages of messages from this thread, I would like to summarize some conclusions:

1. No, upgrading the firmware is not the cause, nor it has any relation with the problem. My last upgrade was weeks ago, and the problem only showed up today. First problems reports were before the release of the last firmware version, I had the last version when the problem appeared;

2. Nothing specific triggers the problem, it can happen any moment, even when the box is unnatended… or it can just never happen;

3. It has nothing to do with over or under heating. Problems reported in Syngapore, Australia, Brazil, USA, etc. No pattern detected here.

4. It has nothing to do with HDMI, Composite, USB ports usage… It’s a main unit malfunction. period.

5. The problem may be intermitent: It happened to me, I factory reset the unit, it came back to life, then it died again after few minutes. Tried to turn it on 2 or 3 times… no success…Then I came to this thread and after reading all 120+ messages (almost one hour), I turned the unit on again, and, surprise surprise,  it stayed on… and it is still on as I’m writing this message…

Most important learned lesson: _ keep your important personal stuff away from the internal storage while you can!!! _

But now I’m having a bad feeling: Since the problem appears without any previous sympton or any known reason, who guarantees it won’t show up again, and then, the power button unplug may not solve the problem anymore?

Is like living with someone with a very bad heart disease… It may dies anytime anywhere… scary isn’t it?

1 Like

Sorry to hear that you have the same problem as us.

Kudos to you for succinctly putting everything in one post!

RMariz wrote:

Hi all, I’m the new member of this club!

After reading all 13 pages of messages from this thread, I would like to summarize some conclusions:

1. No, upgrading the firmware is not the cause, nor it has any relation with the problem. My last upgrade was weeks ago, and the problem only showed up today. First problems reports were before the release of the last firmware version, I had the last version when the problem appeared;
  1. Nothing specific triggers the problem, it can happen any moment, even when the box is unnatended… or it can just never happen;
  1. It has nothing to do with over or under heating. Problems reported in Syngapore, Australia, Brazil, USA, etc. No pattern detected here.
  1. It has nothing to do with HDMI, Composite, USB ports usage… It’s a main unit malfunction. period.
  1. The problem may be intermitent: It happened to me, I factory reset the unit, it came back to life, then it died again after few minutes. Tried to turn it on 2 or 3 times… no success…Then I came to this thread and after reading all 120+ messages (almost one hour), I turned the unit on again, and, surprise surprise,  it stayed on… and it is still on as I’m writing this message…

Most important learned lesson: _ keep your important personal stuff away from the internal storage while you can!!! _

But now I’m having a bad feeling: Since the problem appears without any previous sympton or any known reason, who guarantees it won’t show up again, and then, the power button unplug may not solve the problem anymore?

Is like living with someone with a very bad heart disease… It may dies anytime anywhere… scary isn’t it?

You did not mention if you opened the hub and unplugged the power switch plus how do you know that it was nothing to do with all the things you mentioned?

No, I did not opened the hub yet. Before opening it I would like to know if the solution of unplugging the power switch indeed solved the problem on a long run.

The solution first hit this thread almost 3 weeks ago. Are those first “serviced” units still working flawlessly?

BTW, my unit’s DCM: BAAEAA

Thanks for the feedback.

RMariz wrote:

No, I did not opened the hub yet. Before opening it I would like to know if the solution of unplugging the power switch indeed solved the problem on a long run.

The solution first hit this thread almost 3 weeks ago. Are those first “serviced” units still working flawlessly?

BTW, my unit’s DCM: BAAEAA

Thanks for the feedback.

I think the remedy, not really the solution that I suggested more than a week ago (not 3 weeks ago) will work in the long run. At this point in time, its working flawlessly and I even let it turned on for hours per day. I think that power switch is really the culprit of this problem proved by the replication that richUK did that when you press the power switch while booting, the hub shuts down at loading mochi screen. Unplugging the power switch is really just a remedy to the problem because the real solution is for our hub to work flawlessly even if the power switch is plugged. Its WD that should really give us a real solution to this problem but for the mean time, this remedy I believe will work in the long run.

Glad to hear that.

I will open the unit and unplug the switch… But It is a very strange solution for an even more strange problem.

If I was the CEO of WD I would fire the dude who put this switch on the unit in the first place. It is useless, and now it is the cause to a problem that will render a lot of returns and a damage on WD image.

Sometimes, more is less.

Nah the CEO shouldn’t be disturbed on the golf course, or hot tub or whatever.

BUT: CRM SHOULD BE:

1. ACKNOWLEDGING THE PROBLEM  & APOLOGISING

2. RECALLING UNITS. & RETURNING THE CUSTOMER’S DRIVE FULL OF DATA IN A USB HOUSING

3. REFUNDING AFFECTED PURCHASERS

4. OFFERING SOME LOYALTY INCENTIVE

RMariz wrote:

Glad to hear that.

I will open the unit and unplug the switch… But It is a very strange solution for an even more strange problem.

If I was the CEO of WD I would fire the dude who put this switch on the unit in the first place. It is useless, and now it is the cause to a problem that will render a lot of returns and a damage on WD image.

Sometimes, more is less.

hmm i think you are right, the switch is just useless i never use it.

Whenever i plug the hub directly, it just switches on directly without the need of the pressing either the power button on the hub or on the remote.

And to switch off , i just use the remote.

I had the exact same problem too.

Was about to call WD to setup an RMA for me, but I thought I’d give it another try. Worked fine for about 3 minutes then it died on me again. I read that allot of users fixed theirs by disconnecting the power button. I was reluctant to try that, but since I had all my movies on the drive I thought I’d give it a shot.

Fiddled around a bit trying to get the unit open; started at the rear and pulled my way to the front prying it open.

Eventually got it open and noticed the little board behind the power button. Disconnected the cable and tried it again.

It’s been working stable for about 15 minutes now. I’m backing up all my movies, if it dies again I’ll let you guys know. If you don’t hear back from me it means it’s still working. :slight_smile:

max2tall wrote:

1. RECALLING UNITS. & RETURNING THE CUSTOMER’S DRIVE FULL OF DATA IN A USB HOUSING

That’s not going to happen, in most user agreements it states that the user is responsible for making backups of their data.

The most they will agree to is to do a low level format on the drive to prevent your data from being viewed, which they are likely to do anyway so they can reuse the drive.

I’m having the same problem, the unit is from US but i’m using it in Argentina. A friend of mine went to Miami and bought the hub for me. Everything went fine for a few days, then updated FW and the problem everyone mentions showed up. Just sent a question to WD support about warranty in my country to get a replacement but i wouldn’t bet on that. I’m thinking about opening the device and removing power button (it never worked the few times i tried to use it, not even before updating firmware if that helps)

DCM BAAEAA

When the “Shiny” new toy hit the markets I bought 8 of these new hubs, which I have since returned, and am still keeping up to date with what’s happening.  I spend a great deal of time reading these forums and can only say this one thing;

*Internal hard drives are very very very bad news.

Unless you have enough knowledge on how to extract your information if the [deleted] hit s the fan, you will be left a broken and shattered shell.  Lets face it, what will you use on this new hub that you won’t use on the WD Live TV version (which is half the price I might add).  Nothing!

Transfer rate, even over Ethernet, is absolutely abysmal.  Better to have a couple of external hard drives which are more user friendly and a great deal easier to move data on/off.

Simple fact is this;

A few problems would be ignored,

A few more problems is an issue,

What we have here is a failure.

p.s.  Unless you are upgrading then I will assume you have not tried the WDTV Live … It is by far the best little media center on the market and I would highly suggest you try it.  In fact the only way you could out do it would be to spend thousands on a true PC Media center.

@richUK, are you truly running xp on your WDTV Live?!? If so, can you give me the details, cause that would really be awesome :slight_smile:

Ebany wrote:

@richUK, are you truly running xp on your WDTV Live?!? If so, can you give me the details, cause that would really be awesome :slight_smile:

No. My sig is just to let people know that I am running XP on my computer.

Thanks to bro   b0y0ng99 !!

Just follow the step unplug power cable inside WDTVHUB  then boot up with no problem at all…

GREAT! thank you …

Does anyone know if WD is doing anything more with regard to this problem besides RMA’ing back refurbed units to those who request it?

Earlier in this thread the WD-guy said they were investigating problem, but there has been silence from WD here since.

I’d be happier if WD would send me a fixed power switch module right at my doorstep than with an RMA. I hope you hear me WD!

We are still investigating this issue.

My replacement unit arrived today :slight_smile: Basically 1 month turnaround.

I’m sure it is a properly fixed unit and not just another one off the line that will have the same problem as soon as I touch the power switch…

So anybody want to buy a new still in unopened box wdtvlive hub ???

Going cheap… (when it’s going ! ) haha

Seriously, I’m using it, I just wont touch the power switch, & will disconnect it when the fault starts.

Still very poor handling by WD, nothing was included about the fault issue, Its just another box

although it’s labelled :

B8K & CBAGAAA

Anybody got a faulty one with those numbers ?

btw WD GUY: thanks for investigating & letting us know here, we are all really looking forward to your conclusion ! :slight_smile: