Help... Hub powers up... WD light flashes... then powers itself off. :-(

Good News! I solved this problem. But it will require you to pry open your hub.

Out of desperation, I pry opened my hub to see if I can solve this problem. The first thing I tried is to remove the fan because fan consumes power and this seems to be a power problem, but that didn’t work. I also tried removing the hard drive but that didn’t work too.

One thing I’ve noticed when this problem came up is that the power button is not working so what I tried to do is to disconnect the cable connecting the power button to the mainboard and after turning on my hub, it works. I’ve tried several times to turn on and off my hub and it always works so I think the power button is causing the problem.

If you will see the inside of your hub, you will see the little board that contains the power button is seperated from the mainboard and the little board of the power button is just connected to the mainboard through a cable. Maybe the firmware upgrade causes conflict between the little board of the power button and the mainboard so disconnecting the cable between them solves the problem.

Do this at your own risk and you will be the one responsible if something is damaged in your hub by doing what I said and your warranty may be voided. I just would like to share to you what works for me. Tell us if it works for you.

6 Likes

This is your first post describing your problem:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub/WDTV-Live-Hub-won-t-turn-on/m-p/112924/highlight/true#M3847

Quote:

'm having the same problem with the hub shutting down during the “loading mochi” screen and Iike RenMart, I’m also in Manila and my hub was bought in the U.S. so I can’t get a replacement. My hub is working fine for a couple of weeks and few days after installing the latest firmware 2.03.24 that when the problem starts. Hopefully there will be a solution to this problem without replacing the unit.

I note that you say that the hub worked for a few days after installing the latest firmware so I can’t really see how it also could be the cause of your problem. It may be that the switch / board / lead is in some-way faulty. Perhaps in your case the switch is stuck on.

After some tests I can replicate your problem and I believe that it is the switch that has stuck on. If you hold the hub switch in and then start the hub via the remote then it will boot up to the second boot screen but switch off before the user menu’s appear.

However I am glad you have got it working again but I would caution users that this a radical step which could cause further damage particularly if you could return it.

Upon checking the power button of my hub, it is not stuck and I don’t remember pressing it before the problem happened because I always use the remote to turn it on so I don’t think it’s physically stuck. I also indicated in my previous post the word “maybe” in telling the firmware upgrade causes the problem so I’m not telling everyone it is the problem. I’m just obviously speculating that it is the problem because that is the only one I did before the happened occured even though it is days apart.

b0y0ng99 wrote:

Upon checking the power button of my hub, it is not stuck and I don’t remember pressing it before the problem happened because I always use the remote to turn it on so I don’t think it’s physically stuck. I also indicated in my previous post the word “maybe” in telling the firmware upgrade causes the problem so I’m not telling everyone it is the problem. I’m just obviously speculating that it is the problem because that is the only one I did before the happened occured even though it is days apart.

As I said I have replicated your original problem by holding in the switch and booting up the hub. It acts in exactly the same way as your problem. Have you checked the switch with a meter or just by looking. The switch panel is basically a button switch on a pcb with a couple of surface mount components so there is no a lot more that it could be.

Of course the other explanation is that you could have somehow jammed the button and by playing around inside the unit you could have unjammed it.

b0y0ng99 wrote:

Good News! I solved this problem. But it will require you to pry open your hub.

Out of desperation, I pry opened my hub to see if I can solve this problem. The first thing I tried is to remove the fan because fan consumes power and this seems to be a power problem, but that didn’t work. I also tried removing the hard drive but that didn’t work too.

One thing I’ve noticed when this problem came up is that the power button is not working so what I tried to do is to disconnect the cable connecting the power button to the mainboard and after turning on my hub, it works. I’ve tried several times to turn on and off my hub and it always works so I think the power button is causing the problem.

If you will see the inside of your hub, you will see the little board that contains the power button is seperated from the mainboard and the little board of the power button is just connected to the mainboard through a cable. Maybe the firmware upgrade causes conflict between the little board of the power button and the mainboard so disconnecting the cable between them solves the problem.

Do this at your own risk and you will be the one responsible if something is damaged in your hub by doing what I said and your warranty may be voided. I just would like to share to you what works for me. Tell us if it works for you.

We are currently looking into possible problems with the power button. I’ll post an update when I know more. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks very much b0y0ng99!!!

I knew there was something up with the POWER switch as it has never worked properly in turning the unit off/on.

Out of desperation, i looked for the notch at the back of the unit near the top and pryed open the WD. I looked for the connection of the power switch to the board and disconnected it.

Lo and behold, the unit came back to life!!! Wooohooooo!!!  

It’s forums such as this that is worth the visit for support.

I am now updating the firmware again to see if this will cause a similar problem.  I don’t think it will though.

Will keep you posted. 

1 Like

RenMart wrote:

Thanks very much b0y0ng99!!!

I knew there was something up with the POWER switch as it has never worked properly in turning the unit off/on.

Out of desperation, i looked for the notch at the back of the unit near the top and pryed open the WD. I looked for the connection of the power switch to the board and disconnected it.

Lo and behold, the unit came back to life!!! Wooohooooo!!!  

It’s forums such as this that is worth the visit for support.

I am now updating the firmware again to see if this will cause a similar problem.  I don’t think it will though.

Will keep you posted. 

But you said that you could get the hub to work by cooling it down.

I’m on the old FW and the power button isn’t working for me, i.e the Hub is working fine but the button is inoperative.

Guy_K wrote:

We are currently looking into possible problems with the power button. I’ll post an update when I know more. Thanks for your patience.

Hi Guy_K,

So is it safe for me to update the firmware? I want to copy my movies over to the internal harddisk without  risking it being deleted in a FW update. Thanks!

Hi RichUK,

Yes I did say that.  But not without a number of attempts. So it seems not to be the solution.

All along I was suspecting the fan since this is the first that makes a clicking sound before the shutdown.

However, I did notice that the power button on the unit never seemed to work properly. But of course I ignored it.

Now it makes sense.  Disconnecting it from the board seems to be the best solution so far.

I am on 3hours running without any problems.  The firmware upgrade did not seem to replicate the original problem.

So if any of you guys have a similar problem, I suggest taking it back for a replacement.  But if any of you like me are overseas and no access to any store that would honor the warranty, then try out the solution proposed originally by B0y0ng99.

It works.  

richUK wrote:

As I said I have replicated your original problem by holding in the switch and booting up the hub. It acts in exactly the same way as your problem. Have you checked the switch with a meter or just by looking. The switch panel is basically a button switch on a pcb with a couple of surface mount components so there is no a lot more that it could be.

Of course the other explanation is that you could have somehow jammed the button and by playing around inside the unit you could have unjammed it.

As I said in my previous post, I checked the power button and it is not stucked or jammed even before the problem occurred so how can I unjammed something that its not jammed? and I know what’s a switch panel is. How do you think I figured out that disconnecting the cable the connects that pcb to the mainboard solves the problem? so don’t tell me something that as if I don’t know what I’m talking about. And yes, you replicated the problem but that doesn’t mean that the power button is jammed. It could also mean that even though the power button is not pressed, that pcb is sending signal to the mainboard that it is pressed so that’s why there is a problem. And as it appears now, I’m not the only one who solved this problem using my method so the power button or its circuit board is causing the problem.

Agreed, much more likely to be some hardware component failing.

Something has a bunch of low spec ones that have found their way into these boxes.

Melamine filled capacitors from China or some such.

leslie11 wrote:

Guy_K wrote:

Hi Guy_K,

So is it safe for me to update the firmware? I want to copy my movies over to the internal harddisk without  risking it being deleted in a FW update. Thanks!

At the moment, we believe this is a hardware problem and is not related to the firmware.

HEY GUY _K, 

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

having this issue, but can get power to stay on by powering on manually with power plug but an getting green screen rather then blue…any thoughts as to why?

Guy_K wrote:

At the moment, we believe this is a hardware problem and is not related to the firmware.

Thanks for your reply.

If this turns out to be an hardware issue, does it mean that all the faulty unit will have to be returned? Can’t see how that can be handled smoothly for a user

b0y0ng99 wrote:

richUK wrote:

As I said in my previous post, I checked the power button and it is not stucked or jammed even before the problem occurred so how can I unjammed something that its not jammed? and I know what’s a switch panel is. How do you think I figured out that disconnecting the cable the connects that pcb to the mainboard solves the problem? so don’t tell me something that as if I don’t know what I’m talking about. And yes, you replicated the problem but that doesn’t mean that the power button is jammed. It could also mean that even though the power button is not pressed, that pcb is sending signal to the mainboard that it is pressed so that’s why there is a problem. And as it appears now, I’m not the only one who solved this problem using my method so the power button or its circuit board is causing the problem.

I am not saying that you don’t what you are doing or that you are wrong, in fact all kudos to you for finding the solution to this problem. I was simply pointing out that the problem can be replicated by pushing in the button and asking if you had checked the button with a meter. I do not have the problem but I am interested in whats causing it. I would assume that WD are also interested in getting as much information as possible. Sorry if my previous posts have upset you.

I purchased a unit from BB just before Xmas, but have yet to open unit,  I have until the end of January to return it, and have been reading the threads here, especially this one with great interest.  I think I am getting cold feet because I really do not want to go through the hassle of RMA’ing unit if this problem were to turn up in my unit or perhaps a WD recall…

I really would like to have a sense if this power button issue is widespread, that is a latent defect in all units, or just an isolated failure mode common to only a batch  or run of units. 

Anyone want to chime in with a recommendation as to whether to return unit or give it a try knowing the problems others have had?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.