Has WD stopped making/supporting WDTV media players?

Was looking to purchase another unit but I see that WD is not listing it on its web site. I use this to stream content from my computer to the TV. The format I use most often is .mkv. Perhaps there is another product out there that will fill the gap.

1 Like

yes there are … i recommend this website to begin your search

I am familiar with that website. I was hoping for some constructive input from other users that are in the same situation and perhaps some recommendations based on their experience.

ok, sorry :wink:

Anything you buy today will support MKV (H.264)

but, if you need H.265/HEVC / 4K / 10Bit support … then Nvidia Shield TV (don’t bother with cheap china android boxes)

Have much do you wanna spend ?

i’m happy with my $35 Raspberry Pi 3 and i know people happy with their $300 Nvidia Shield TV’s

Again, it all depends on what “other” features you need (apart from MKV playback) … which will also determine your choice of device and the cost.

I am looking at the Roku, it might be a good replacement. FYI, I keep the PC in a separate location from the TV

I have had different models of Roku for a long time. I also have WDTV, FireTV Stick and a Chromecast. The Roku is a great streamer, but not as good as a media player. I use Roku only for streaming sources like Netflix, Amazon Prime video, etc. I use WDTV for streaming media like my videos and music to my TV.

So, why have the Fire Stick and Chromecast? They are inexpensive and have their own unique feature set not on the other two. Besides, the FireTV (stick or box) can be a replacement for a Ruku and WDTV player in many ways. It has Netflix and Amazon video, PLUS it can be set up to be a video player like WDTV. All one needs to do is install a free app called KODI onto the FireTV. It is fairly easy to do with help from recently posted YouTube videos, although installing can be an issue for some people who are tech-challenged.

I actually have two Fire Sticks running KODI, and just recently set up KODI onto the second one. I got the second Fire Stick free when I bought a new TV from Amazon, but if I were to buy one today, I would get the FireTV box, and not the Stick since it is more robust and is a wired or wireless device.

Kodi, like WDTV, allows one to watch all sorts of video files. Price of entry for FireTV is affordable.

What to replace a WDTV is a good question. I am currently testing a MINIX NEO X8-H, which is an android based media server. So far its looking good, but as with all these things there is a steep learning curve - especially if you want to replicate everything a WDTV does.