[GUIDE] Installing OwnCloud Server on My Book Live

nfodiz wrote:

Dashboard is NOT working and OwnCloud is NOT working

BRICKED

wheezy=BAD

That sounds about right. Might as well remove wheezy from the repo list?

Yeah I would edit the guide so people comment out wheezy

Now who’s gonna buy me a new drive! LOL j/k rolling back to my custom firmware as I type this :slight_smile:

nfodiz wrote:

It works based off of apt.conf

In firmware 02.42.02-012 apt.conf looks like this

APT::Default-Release “lenny”;

Which is strange as there are no lenny repos in the sources.list

Lenny is the legacy stable repository…

Squeeze is the current stable repo

Wheezy is the next-generation testing repo

Sid is the unstable dev repo

So squeeze is the most stable for the installed system.

I wonder why it looks for lenny?

@nfo: oh noez! If only someone would write a guide on how to unbrick an MBL!!

And I updated the guide.

That’s a good question… I have been googling a bit as I was running through the process but didn’t come up with much but the fact that apt.conf points to the repo to use and you can set more than one and give the entries Pin-Priorities

I’m gonna do the process 1 more time to be absolutely sure. I’m in the process of upgrading to 02.42.02-012 again

70%

90%

Drive is rebooting

nfodiz wrote:

I’m gonna do the process 1 more time to be absolutely sure. I’m in the process of upgrading to 02.42.02-012 again

70%

Thanks for that… success seems to be oddly inconsistent… and I can’t even get mine to fail.

OK back to factory 02.42.02-012 again… Dashboard is up and working… Will edit this post with my progress

Yep a wheezy install bricks the dashboard and anything php related

rhartinger wrote:

Hi, thx for your guide. It works. Can you describe how I can use the original UI from WD? This is broken. And maybe you can add the upgrade to PHP 5.3.2 to your guide?

Your gonna have to follow this guide as your Dashboard is bricked. Use guide 3

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Restore-Downgrade-firmware-via-the-reset-button/m-p/481588#M15044

Then follow this guide again with the updated instructiions

1 Like

ponce10 wrote:

Hi addchild314,

Great guide, really! Thanks a lot!!!

Nevertheless I have a problem accessing my owncloud after setting the symbolic link. I followed the tutorial, but after setting the symbolic links and copiing everything to the new location I can not enter into owncloud anymore. Only a white page apears. Before doing that I could access owncloud via the webbrowser and finish the setup of owncloud.

Any idea what’s going wrong?

Thanks,

ponce10

When you ran apt-get did it install the php stuff from wheezy or squeeze? Wheezy will brick anything web related. Does the dashboard work? If it does you have other issues…

Hi,

I found the solution to my problem (see next post).

I installed everything from Wheezy and it works fine! I started updating my MyBook Live Duo 4GB to the latest FW (dated to beginning of April). So I can report no problems with the the Wheezy. Dashbord works fin now.

Greetings,

Ponce10

Hi addchild314,

the problem has been identified to ly between the ears :slight_smile:

During setup of owncloud you have to go to advanced (or expert) mode and select the right location of the owncloud stuff. In this case

/DataVolume/owncloud_data

So now everything works fine.

By the way: I used the original guide and the wheezy stuff and dashboard as well as owncloud works.

Cheers,

Ponce10

EDIT: I am working with the My Book Live DUO!

I am a little bit concerned about security. What shall be the minimum (and optional) steps to protect owncloud from unauthorized data access and data download.

I am running a small business with a friend living far away from me and we would like to build our own cloud storage to work together on project documents, so security is an issue for us.

ponce10 wrote:

Hi addchild314,

the problem has been identified to ly between the ears :slight_smile:

During setup of owncloud you have to go to advanced (or expert) mode and select the right location of the owncloud stuff. In this case

/DataVolume/owncloud_data

So now everything works fine.

By the way: I used the original guide and the wheezy stuff and dashboard as well as owncloud works.

Cheers,

Ponce10

You should edit your post to say it works on a MyBookLive DUO from wheezy. It most certainly bricks a single drive MBL using wheezy and the latest firmware.  Tested it 2 times myself on the latest firmware with a virgin OS install…

You’re right. Sorry for that.

Yes, it works with MBL DUO and Wheezy.

Also, it’s strange that you have to change the data directory in owncloud on the DUO, but symlinks work on the MBL Solo

Hey!

Very good guide! I looked for such a guide like years!

But I’m experiencing the same problem of the white */index.php page

Here are my permissions:

MyBookLive:/var/www# ls -al /var/www/
total 36
drwxr-xr-x 8 root www-data 4096 May 4 09:22 .
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Apr 1 18:09 …
drwxr-xr-x 3 root www-data 4096 Apr 1 18:06 Admin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 1 18:02 Software
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Apr 1 18:06 UI
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 225 May 24 2011 index.html
drwxrwxrw- 14 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:45 owncloud
drwxrwxrw- 3 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 09:22 tmp-owncloud1367652124
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 1 18:02 webdav

MyBookLive:/var/www# ls -al /var/www/owncloud/
total 152
drwxrwxrw- 14 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:45 .
drwxr-xr-x 8 root www-data 4096 May 4 09:22 ..
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 1061 May 4 08:26 .htaccess
drwxrwxrw- 26 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:23 3rdparty
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 585 May 4 08:23 AUTHORS
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 34520 May 4 08:23 COPYING-AGPL
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 567 May 4 08:23 COPYING-README
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 753 May 4 08:23 README
drwxrwxrw- 31 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:23 apps
drwxrwxrw- 2 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:24 config
drwxrwxrw- 10 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:23 core
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 3183 May 4 08:23 cron.php
drwxrwx--- 2 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:41 data
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 17438 May 4 08:23 db_structure.xml
drwxrwxrw- 2 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:23 files
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 102 May 4 08:23 index.html
-rwxr-xr-x 1 www-data www-data 853 May 4 08:23 index.php
drwxrwxrw- 81 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:23 l10n
drwxrwxrw- 18 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:23 lib
drwxrwxrw- 2 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:23 ocs
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 443 May 4 08:23 public.php
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 960 May 4 08:23 remote.php
drwxrwxrw- 6 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:23 search
drwxrwxrw- 8 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:23 settings
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 1216 May 4 08:23 status.php
drwxrwxrw- 2 www-data www-data 4096 May 4 08:23 themes

MyBookLive:/var/www# ls -al /DataVolume/owncloud_data/
total 384
drwxrwx--- 3 root www-data 65536 May 4 08:36 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 65536 May 4 08:35 ..
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 0 May 4 08:26 index.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 94208 May 4 08:28 owncloud.db
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 203 May 4 08:26 owncloud.log
drwxr-xr-- 4 www-data www-data 65536 May 4 08:26 torsten

I hope you can give me a hint on fixing this.

Edit 1: I’m running an MBL Solo and installed from squeeze

Edit 2: After the first installation I was able to access the owncloud via browser. A second try to install it didn’t work for me

I believe this guide will is turning out great for many people who, like me, bought MBL because it said “Personal Cloud” only to find out that… well, it does not really deliver “personal cloud”…

It would be nice to have a more “for dummies” guide tho… I did some installs on my MBL using Putty and the rest, but nobody would like to brick a box that contains important data…

I have some questions for the time being:

1- I see that there are two scripts in the guide: is it enough to copy them and paste them (right mouse click) on Putty?

2- accessing ownCloud from the outside is the most important feature one is looking for from this piece of software: how does one access it from outside one’s network? do you use the same address accessed from within one’s LAN, but with ports 80 and 443 open?

3- is there a way to let ownCloud know that you are accessing or syncnig a file from within the LAN or from outside? this is in order to avoid it using data bandwidth when using the cloud from within the LAN.

4- finally a question about security: ports 80 and 443 are often scouted by hackers on the net… is there any way to secure access and keep safe one’s data?

thanks so much for the work carried out so far!

@hafenschiffer

hafenschiffer wrote:

Hey!

Very good guide! I looked for such a guide like years!

But I’m experiencing the same problem of the white */index.php page

Here are my permissions:

[SNIP]

I hope you can give me a hint on fixing this.

Edit 1: I’m running an MBL Solo and installed from squeeze

Edit 2: After the first installation I was able to access the owncloud via browser. A second try to install it didn’t work for me

It seems that you missed this step:

addchild314 wrote:

We now need to make sure it has write permission to the directory (temporarily)

chgrp www-data /var/www
chmod g+w /var/www

@nicopizza

nicopizza wrote:

I believe this guide will is turning out great for many people who, like me, bought MBL because it said “Personal Cloud” only to find out that… well, it does not really deliver “personal cloud”…

It would be nice to have a more “for dummies” guide tho… I did some installs on my MBL using Putty and the rest, but nobody would like to brick a box that contains important data…

I have some questions for the time being:

1- I see that there are two scripts in the guide: is it enough to copy them and paste them (right mouse click) on Putty?

2- accessing ownCloud from the outside is the most important feature one is looking for from this piece of software: how does one access it from outside one’s network? do you use the same address accessed from within one’s LAN, but with ports 80 and 443 open?

3- is there a way to let ownCloud know that you are accessing or syncnig a file from within the LAN or from outside? this is in order to avoid it using data bandwidth when using the cloud from within the LAN.

4- finally a question about security: ports 80 and 443 are often scouted by hackers on the net… is there any way to secure access and keep safe one’s data?

thanks so much for the work carried out so far!

1. No, they have to be saved as shell scripts and executed.

2. You have to forward ports 80 and 443 to your MBL on your router. You access it via the IP of your router to the outside world. To find this, head to http://whatsmyip.org/

3. It depends on how you access it. When you use the internal IP (usually 192.168.something.something or 10.0.0.something.

4. You can choose to forward alternate ports. Usually, routers will let you cross-map port forwards. So, it can map external port 8080 to internal port 80. In the picture below, for example, I am forwarding ports 8080 and 8081 from my external IP address (68.200.x.x) to my MBL’s ports 80 and 443 (192.168.0.7). To access owncloud externally, I point my web browser to http://68.200.x.x:8080. Internally, I go to 192.168.0.7

You can use a service like dyndns to map your public IP address to a domain name for free.

2013-05-06_122843.png