For Those Having Problems with OSX Lion DP4 & Time Machine Error - Please Read

This is not exactly true. I can connect to my private shares by mounting the share like a server. In finder Go → Connect to Server → Click the clock for recent servers → pick MyBookLive my system autofilled the address with an afp://MyBookLive …  Then I can select the share I want. It asks me to log in, and I’m golden. On the sidebar in finder it looks like a mounted drive. I’m used to doing this to connect to smb shares on the network as well.

Hope that helps you.

This is absolutely, completely and utterly unacceptable. Lion Developer has been available for months and WD didn’t fix this even after the official release being well aware of the problem. C’mon guys, this is a major company making lotsa money on this product!

I could not agree more.

Cannot believe that WD is not promptly following market changes.

All,

Its not that we don’t have developer releases of Lion…etc.

The issue was that this was an open source module that the developer decided to not release because they wanted to be paid for their work to continue supporting the code. This was a change in the policy from the developers. They saw this as an opportunity to start making money as all NAS companies that want to support Lion would now have to come to them.We support this, but it was late in the game (end of last month) that this happened.

We have had to work through contracts, support agreements etc. in order to get access to this code. We have it in house, and it is working, but as I have mentioned before, it is going to take a few weeks to get it released. The release coming out next week was already planned a long ago.

I am trying to be as transparent as I can as I do not like seeing these threads that WD does not care or this is unacceptable. We definately understand and are making commitments to get this done. Just hang on few weeks!

Tony

1 Like

Tony that was an exhausting more than transparent answer :-D. I understand that. It is not easy as looks like guys. I think there is not space for angry comments, while WD is evidently doing maximum. And if it is some politic of Apple we have to be angry to apple developers instead of WD. So lets be patient and I hope that next week we will say “Vinc are we happy? YES!!!” :smiley:

“Just hang on a few weeks!” => unacceptable. WD has been aware of the problem and has been relying on the open source community to catch up with this. Don’t blame the developers to seize an opportunity to make money just as Apple, WD or any other company would have. You have basically just stated that your processes are too slow to accomodate a timely solution.

I am also having the same problem Tony. I bought the mybook live because of time machine problems with my old NAS. I know you are do the best you can under the circumstances.

fnord wrote:

This is absolutely, completely and utterly unacceptable. Lion Developer has been available for months and WD didn’t fix this even after the official release being well aware of the problem. C’mon guys, this is a major company making lotsa money on this product!

They might even be making more on the product than Apple is on OSX.  :smileyvery-happy:

Uggh… This **bleep**. I just bought my firt Mac… Setup Time Machine with my MyBook Live all is good… and then Lion comes out so I ‘Upgrade’ and now I can’t backup! So I am supposed to not backup my machine for “a few more weeks” because of this [deleted for profanity]. 

fnord wrote:

“Just hang on a few weeks!” => unacceptable.

If you can show me on the box, or in the documentation, from when you bought your MBL, where it says it IS compatable with Lion, you might have a point – all I see mentioned as being supported is Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Complaining that it actually takes time to add something it was never designed nor tested for, seems a little selfish and arrogant.

There’s no reason I see that WD _ has _ to do this… they merely want to… for _ YOU _… and all you can do is complain?

1 Like

Haven’t tried this myself (and won’t until tonight), but a possible workaround (copied from the Apple Developer Forums)

http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/

1 Like

Tony:

I appreciate that you are on here leaving comments and updates from WD.  Where and when should I be looking for this update on the site (specifically downloads and instuctions)?

To everyone else that wants to moan:

If it is such a simple issue to solve why don’t you write the code or negotiate the contracts?  Or learn how to follow the advice in the Apple developers forum that gives you a couple lines of code to enable the system components that allow the AFP to work under Time Machine? 

Or even better, how about you use half your brain and wait 2, 3, 4 weeks AFTER brand new, major software is released to read the reviews, forums and comments to see that it functions as expected and you can confirm that your most needed software and devices work with it.  Just look at me as the example of intelligence around here.  I have not installed Lion yet as I am googling to double check that my most needed software and my wd time machine drive would function properly.  Now I have the code to update from Apple developer forum and I know to look for an official WD update in a couple weeks.  It’s not that difficult.  Stop whining.  And stop taking it out on the people that are working to make things better and keeping you informed.

3 Likes

I’m not the same tony, but I’ll answer:

The MBL will tell you when the new firmware is available.

If you want to watch the web, just look here in the Forum in the ANNOUNCEMENTS section.   It will point you to the update.

eochs - Thank God for people like you!

Unfortunately I just tried it and it didn’t work for me…  Maybe if I also update the netatalk version…  Will try later

WDTony,

Thank you for the continued updates regarding this issue. Some of us understand the complexity of using an open source code gone closed source. I do not think WD has dropped the ball at all. I agree that if any owner of the MBL looks at their packaging/Product Details, it does not state supporting OSX Lion. I suppose I may understand why users are complaining, being that they upgraded to lion blindly and did not check for updates regarding software/peripherals used. “It’s just supposed to work!”, right users? :smileyvery-happy:

As the originator of this thread I have been following updates to AFP and WD and the like, knowing that in the end I still made the right choice in purchasing my MBL. As for a solution to some of these user’s issues with not being able to backup…

I have been using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to create incremental backups and then I copy them to my MBL incase the need arises until we can get the TM support back. 

There are plenty of other solutions as well… Instead of registering here to complain about development  schedules for software that was just released, one could have searched for alternitive free backup solutions in the interim and saved themselves valuable key strokes…

Just my $0.02. Again, I will be awaiting patiently for WD to release firmware to suppurt OSX Lion, so keep up the good work.

Thanks for that info.  Will keep an eye on the MBL and the forum.

We will keep you all updated. I believe our team will be posting on twitter too, so you can sign up for updates there.

Hi Tony

You mentioned that we could folow the progress and or be notified about the fix / update via twitter, please could you let us know what  the Twiiter address is we follow.

thanks

rus

You can follow WD at : http://twitter.com/#!/WesternDigital.

We will let you know here as well.