For Those Having Problems with OSX Lion DP4 & Time Machine Error - Please Read

Thanks Tony.

Just to confirm, but you will be providing an update for MyBook World/World II devices as well, correct?

Above you stated only MyBook Live.

Thanks!

Adam

Those products are in sustaning, so different set of issues. We are going to “try” to support the MBWE II and sharespace, but as I said - still to be determined.

Tony

I appreciate the reply Tony.

I can appreciate the difficult position that Apple put you guys in… changing their protocls without much notice, leaving you to scramble to try and find a solution.

Having said that I sincerely hope you guys are able to provide an update for MBW/MBWII.  I am a consultant who has deployed maybe 25-30 of these at various locations… most in the last 6 months.   Almost all are used in conjunction with timemachine.  Should there not be an update, it would be fair to say that all of my clients MBW’s would be rendered useless with Lion upgrade.

On a related note, is there a way to “bypass” the default timemachine folder set by the device? (ie. is there a way to create a folder in the downloads or public folders to use with timemachine?. 

Feel free to email me privatly if you wish (email in my user profile)

Quote : " On a related note, is there a way to “bypass” the default timemachine folder set by the device? (ie. is there a way to create a folder in the downloads or public folders to use with timemachine?. "

I don’t use the default TM location on my MBL. I follow these instructions to create a sparsebundle on a private share:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1522821?start=0&tstart=0

To make the share visible to TM you need to run this terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

Might need to turn TM off and back on again for the command to take effect.

Hi Tony,

i too have been waiting patiently - since july 1st when I upgraded to OSX 10.7 Lion. I have now not backed up my mac for 20 days, making me feel very uneasy.

I bought my beautiful new MBWII a few weeks before having had an older smaller model for several years, and I cant use it at all.

I thought that as Lion was launched today you would have some good news for us loyal customers.

please help us all resolve this problem as soon as possible

sincerely

rus

Lion was released today - Not on July 1st.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are working on it, but it is not going to be immediate. Best estimate is August for a update that supports Lion. I know that is not what you want to hear, but it takes time to do these things.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for your speedy response!

Correction - sorry i meant I am an Apple developer and installed the OSX Lion GM seed on july 1st. You are correct it was officially released today!

I look forward to the fix as soon you have it, as I am sure that from today this thread is going to get dramatically longer.

regards

rus

Add me to the list of people having the same issues. Perhaps WD could have communicated this issue to users in advance as not to upgrade before a fix was ready. Or it’s my fault for not checking the WD forums every day.

Regardless, are we looking at early August? late August? It’s tough considering I just purchased two 2TB MBL in the last 6 months.

I guess next time I’ll just spend the extra $$ for an APL time machine.

How can we subscribe to a notification list when an update is available?

Hey, thanks Limedo!> Ill try that out and let the people in this form know how it goes. :smiley:> * * *
Lymedo wrote:

Quote : " On a related note, is there a way to “bypass” the default timemachine folder set by the device? (ie. is there a way to create a folder in the downloads or public folders to use with timemachine?. "

I don’t use the default TM location on my MBL. I follow these instructions to create a sparsebundle on a private share:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1522821?start=0&tstart=0

To make the share visible to TM you need to run this terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

Might need to turn TM off and back on again for the command to take effect.

Hi, just put Lion on myself having done a Time Machine backup prior to running the setup and found it wouldn’t connect.  Luckily came across this thread so know why.  I have a MyBook World Edition 1TB which I bought at the same time as my Mac a few months back purely for Time Machine so hopefully you guys will come up with a solution so I can get it working again.  Have no issues connecting to the other share I set up on there though.

Lymedo

I followed your steps and everything works as it should… exept for the final stage of actually backing up… it gives the same error “The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features”

Looks like your solution works in terms of creating a new backup location on a MBW device, but still not compatible with 10.7.

Let me know if you have any additional info/advice, otherwise I guess we are in the same boat.

Thanks!

Sign me to the list. Same error, today I upgraded to Lion and become unbackuped. So WD I’ll waiting for update…

MBWEII bought last week worked perfectly until today before I upgraded to Lion. Now I can’t access my iTunes or Aperture libraries and some other important stuff…I wish I knew there was a compatibility issue yesterday. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to revert to Snow Leopard while we are waiting for a fix?

Regards

Neil Smith

Same problem.  I’m using My Book Live 2 TB as my Time Machine disk.  Looking forward for quick resolution from WD.  Tnx!

Tony,

Can you let me know when the update is available?

Thanks,

John

Of course we will let everyone know. We understand the urgency and are doing everything we can to get the support in there. We need to get this update out next week, then we can push the testing for the Time Machine fix.

Thanks for your patience!

Tony

PS: No need for everyone to post here that they have the same issue… we got it :slight_smile:

Tony,

Please add me to list as well.

Thanks Richard

But it is correct that the WD BOOK LIVE can connect to the Mac OS X Lion: Also, data can be transferred - only Time Machine does not work?!

@swiftism: I can connect as “Guest” only … so depending on your settings you might be able to read/write to public folders. My user account or the time machine backup (which requires a login) doesn’t work with Lion as of now…

waiting for a fix for this as well …

as a side not regarding reverting to Snow Leopard… I use something like SuperDuper to create a bootable backup of my old snow leopard installation … and I might just revert to that one until this is fixed.

Sebastian