For Those Having Problems with OSX Lion DP4 & Time Machine Error - Please Read

I’m not technically minded - but is likely to be the same issue that makes all my MacBooks hang after I select the WD Live disk  in Time Machine preferences? After I select guest, the rainbow twirly wirly thing just keeps spinning, and I have to force system preferences to quit.

Cheers

Simon

What a stupid comment.  WD ABSOLUTELY has to do this.  Just like all other hardware and software manufacturers, it is their responsibiltiy to insure that their products remain compatible with OS updates, and in a timely fashion.  Or maybe you like the idea of replacing your hard drives, printers, scanners, etc., every time an OS gets revised?

chgohotdog wrote:

What a stupid comment.  WD ABSOLUTELY has to do this.  Just like all other hardware and software manufacturers, it is their responsibiltiy to insure that their products remain compatible with OS updates, and in a timely fashion.  Or maybe you like the idea of replacing your hard drives, printers, scanners, etc., every time an OS gets revised?

You need to learn how to use the QUOTE button so we know whose comment you’re calling “stupid.”

2 Likes

chgohotdog wrote:

Now that is a stupid comment.  Software and hardware has always been tied to a specific range of OSes.  Actually, even tied to specific chips.

Software (and OS’es) that were written for '386s wouldn’t run on '286s if they used '386-specific instructions… if you tried running them on an older chip anyways, it’d just crash with the '386-specific new opcodes that were jibberish to '286s.

Likewise '486 code wouldn’t run on '386 machines… and so on…

And there were a lot of devices that simply couldn’t be upgraded to Win2k from Win98, due to the changes Microsoft made.  None of Dell’s Inspiron notebooks that had hardware decoding for the DVD drive could be upgraded to Win2k… due to the changes, a new driver was physically impossible due to the arcitecture.  Even now, 13 years later, there still isn’t such a thing as a driver for those Inspirons for any OS after Win98.  How’s that for a “timely fashion”?  And it wasn’t just the Dell’s… there was lots that became usuable under Win2k.

The choice was to either upgrade your hardware, or not upgrade the OS.

It happened with Vista all over again – e.g. lots of ATI graphics cards wouldn’t (and still won’t) run under Vista… you either didn’t change OS, or you went out and got a different card.

This isn’t the first time that a change has been incompatable with previous or future things, and it won’t be the last.

Commodore found out the hard way that if you try to maintain 100% backward compatability, then you lose forward motion and get left in the dust.

Progress involves moving forwards… that’s why hardware and software specifically list what OSes and what processors it will run on (and by exclusion which ones it won’t).   Win7 simply won’t run on an old 8088, no matter how “stupid” you think it is that it can’t.

WD’s external drives simply don’t have drivers for Server 2008, Server 2003, 2000 Server, 2000, ME, 98SE, 98, 95, 3.1, 3.0 – there’s no onus on WD to maintain compatability with past or future systems.  They do it when they can, because they want to, but if future compatability is impossible, they are not required to do it.

Same with Apple… it’s always better to maintain compatability, but they’re not obliged to… or you end in the same sunk boat as Commodore… they’re allowed to change things, and even break compatability.  No one put a gun to anyone’s head and forced them to install Lion.

2 Likes

@RoofingGuy

Completely Agree!  Very Good Input  :smileyvery-happy:

Well, reading all of this, let us just be patient and wait for a fitting solution. In the mean time - depending of the size of the network/backup requirements - take some simple but effective enough precautions to save your working files on some other - portable - storage device/chip/DVD.

This is just a fact of things, which happened now. Complaining, for once OK, let us learn all form this (again), by not installing everything the first day something is available. Especially not all computers in a networked situation. If you want to see what an app has to offer, isolate the testing from the ‘day-to-day-work’.

Kind Regards,

Peter Luit

Netherlands

Lucky for me I had just recently bought my WD MyBook so I went to BestNuy this weekend and returned it and bought the Apple Time Capsule.  Works like a dream and a **bleep** of a lot faster!

I just got an email from my MBL:

Event time:06-20-2011 02:04:08 PM

Following events are generated on your MyBookLive MyBookLive.

Event title:A new version of firmware is available

Event description:A new version of the firmware has been released. Please update your device.

Severity:info

Event code:2002

Event time:07-25-2011 06:25:02 AM

-----------

Not sure if this is the update that will make it compatible with Lion or not (reverted my MacBook back to Snow Leopard until the MBL is ready for TimeMachine in Lion)

Anyone currently running Lion- can you confirm whether or not this new firmware update does the trick?

Thanks!

zzrider wrote:

I just got an email from my MBL:

Event time:06-20-2011 02:04:08 PM

Following events are generated on your MyBookLive MyBookLive.

Event title:A new version of firmware is available

Event description:A new version of the firmware has been released. Please update your device.

Severity:info

Event code:2002

Event time:07-25-2011 06:25:02 AM

-----------

Not sure if this is the update that will make it compatible with Lion or not (reverted my MacBook back to Snow Leopard until the MBL is ready for TimeMachine in Lion)

Anyone currently running Lion- can you confirm whether or not this new firmware update does the trick?

Thanks!

NO!  

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

NO!  

Seriously? [deleted for profanity] WD…

Commodore?  Windows 3.1? Really?

I’m not talking about the stoneage here, and I’m not talking about a lousy Windows box, which I abandonded years ago because a computer user shouldn’t have to put up with the BS Microsoft tortured us with, which you seem to think is OK and their right.

And I’m not talking about a fundamentally, radically altered OS, which Lion is not.  In the big picture this is a minor security revision which should have been addressed in a timely manner by WD, assuming that is, that they want to mantain the trust, confidence and repeat business of their consumers.

zzrider wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

NO!  

Seriously? WTF WD…

That’s already been answered, if you’d taken the time to read the thread.

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That’s already been answered, if you’d taken the time to read the thread.

I’ve read the thread, but the firmware update was just released in the past 24 hours or so. Never hurts to ask.

Jeez.

The update was released on July 20.  5 days ago.  :)

WD commented that:

– This Update WILL NOT fix theTime Machine error.

– The Next one (a MAJOR update) WILL NOT fix the time machine error.

– They will begin working on the Time Machine Error AFTER the next major update.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/OSX-Lion-DP4-amp-Time-Machine-Error/m-p/219382/message-uid/219382/highlight/true#U219382

Well my email came in this morning and it said there was an update available on 7/25- so that’s all the information I had about the update.

Sux that its going to take them that long. Guess I’ll hold off on Lion in my house.

Just an FYI - Its not - “Will begin working”. We already have the fix in place and it is scheduled to be released “next week” pending no issues coming out of test.

As mentioned earlier. A major update (which we have been working on for the past 6+ months) is coming this week. This was already planned many many months ago before this Lion issue raised its ugly head. For those of you that keep insisting that WD should have got the developer preview of Lion - all I can say is DUH… really?? You think we are that stupid?  That was not the issue. Do some research around Netatalk and you will see why this issue came up so late.

Excellent!   

Thanks for clarifying, Tony.

Sorry to have put the wrong words in your mouth.  

Stop making Tony mad people, he may leave us :slight_smile:

WDTony wrote:

Just an FYI - Its not - “Will begin working”. We already have the fix in place and it is scheduled to be released “next week” pending no issues coming out of test.

As mentioned earlier. A major update (which we have been working on for the past 6+ months) is coming this week. This was already planned many many months ago before this Lion issue raised its ugly head. For those of you that keep insisting that WD should have got the developer preview of Lion - all I can say is DUH… really?? You think we are that stupid?  That was not the issue. Do some research around Netatalk and you will see why this issue came up so late.

WDTony,

Thank you for your continued support considering the push back from the comunity you have received. I look forward to seeing the update when it lands…

To the rest of the followers, an ETA(Estimated Time of Arrival) is just that! “Estimated!” Please do not slander WDTony if their ETA is not met…

Thank you!

WDTony, thank you for your continued updates and transparency on this issue.   Techy’s are a tough crowd to please! lol.> People, Lion just came out.  Compouded with Netatalk issues its fair to give WD the ETA they are proposing… just my 2 cents.  Let’s wait and see what happens. :smiley:> * * *
WDTony wrote: