Firmware Update via SSH

Myron,
In the thread “Cannot access the dashboard on Mybook Live 1TB Nas drive” on Sun 11 Dec 2011 you said that, at one time, you had a dead UI problem and that by applying a firmware update via SSH you were able to bring the Dashboard UI back to life. Since I haven’t loaded any WD software to my PC (no SmartWare or QuickView nor is auto updates enabled) I am at present entirely dependent on the manual Dashboard UI for firmware updates. At present everything is working fine (after the resolution of my Sleep/Standby problem) and I have performed 3 firmware updates via a Dashboard update (all from a previously downloaded file) with no problems. However, if the Dashboard UI goes down (as it seems to be prone to do for many users) then it would be useful to be able to revive it via an SSH firmware update. Thus it would be nice to have the SSH Firmware Update procedure in my arsenal of tools. So I was wondering if you would be willing to share the procedure that you used. If you don’t feel comfortable reporting the procedure on a public forum (and possibly incuring the wrath of WDTony) then, if you would still be willing to share the procedure, then perhaps you could email me the procedure at “jvyyvnzunjrfNGebtrefQBGpbz”. If you don’t want to share the procedure I understand why you might not want to and am happy with that.

Although I haven’t yet loaded a single file to my MBL, I’m still having lots of fun with it as I try to get back up to speed with Linux/Unix. Like you, I find the inner workings of this special purpose device most fascinating.
Thanks, WilliamH

P.S. Thanks to my rotten 13 year old for the email address.

Not a problem.  Already posted the procedure.

First, enable SSH. Login to the Dashboard UI and once you have the usual menu change the address on the browser to:

http://MyBookLive/UI/ssh

Enable SSH.  Make sure that port 22 is NOT forwarded out to the Internet on the router and DO NOT put your MyBook Live on the router’s DMZ.

Next, download the latest fiwmare file from:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmb_live

At the time of this message this downloads a file named apnc-021009-124-20111113.deb.  Download this to the NAS’s Public folder.

Start a telnet session via. SSH to get the Linux’s command line and issue the following command:

/usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021009-124-20111113.deb

Obviously change the name of the upgrade file in the above command to match the name of the upgrade file you download.

You won’t get any progress feedback that the upgrade is actually happenng. You just need to wait. When the upgrade completes the MBL will simply reboot.

So far I’ve had 100% success rate at upgrading my MBL’s firmware, even with a totally bricked Dashboard UI.

Remember NOT to end the terminal session while the upgrade is in process.

6 Likes

Myron,
Thank you kindly. I feel more comfortable now that I know I have an alternate procedure to fall back on in the case of Dashboard UI problems. Much appreciate your help.
WilliamH

Hi hw can I enable SSH if I can’t access to UI??? via web y put   http://mybooklive//UI/ssh in my browser and i recive the same blank page that i put  http://mybooklive/  :dizzy_face: Sorry for my english

Unfortunaty, rubenrubio. You’re out of luck. It is possible to turn on SSH but you need to take the MBL’s drive out of it’s caee. Connect ti to another computer. Locate the file /etc/nas/service_startup/ssh and change the one line in that text file from …

disabled

… to …

enable

Once you reassemble your MBL then you’ll find that SSH will be enabled.

There is one other method but that involved a bit of soldering and building a buffer circuit to be able to connect your MBL to a computer’s serial port.

Apart from that, send the thing back to Western Digital to be replaced with a refurbished MBL.

(Opening your MBL will void its warranty.)

Hi Myron,

First of all, thanks for the steplist.

I have tried to do exactly as your directed but still, My MBL stil got yellow and sometimes red LED light.  Is it OK to repeat the procedure again?

rgds

adi

@Myron

One question, I already have the latest firmware installed, do you know what would happen if I download it again and execute updateFirwareFromFile.sh?  

I wanted to reinstall the drive without losing the data, and I thought this would be a good way to do it.

Or perhaps I need to trick the drive into thinking that the firmware is out-of-date somehow?

I’ve read someone posted on here that re-applying the same firmware as what is installed actually cured a fault they had. I’ve not done this on my oen MBL so I personaly don’t know what the result will be. I assume it should work. Why you’re getting LED indicators showing that there is an issue, I don’t know.

Just an important point. Do not shut-down the telnet session while the firmware update is in progress!

adi_ab wrote:

Hi Myron,

First of all, thanks for the steplist.

I have tried to do exactly as your directed but still, My MBL stil got yellow and sometimes red LED light.  Is it OK to repeat the procedure again?

rgds

adi

If you have a search of the community, I can’t recall which discussion threads, there is a method where you can do a factory restore WITHOUT erasing all your data.

Jagermeister wrote:

@Myron

One question, I already have the latest firmware installed, do you know what would happen if I download it again and execute updateFirwareFromFile.sh?  

I wanted to reinstall the drive without losing the data, and I thought this would be a good way to do it.

Or perhaps I need to trick the drive into thinking that the firmware is out-of-date somehow?

Myron, The thread was “new My Book Live” and the posting on how to do a factory restore without deleting data was by was by WD BBBBBrandon on 12-13-2011 03:25PM.

@Myron, @WilliamH

Thank you very much! I knew this topic was talked before but I couldn’t find the thread anywhere. I’ll try it this evening

Thanks WilliamH. Found the discussion thread now. For completeness and for anyone else who are interested in this discussion . . .

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/new-My-Book-LIve/td-p/299058

@ Myron: Thank you so much,  I upgraded latest firmware that reason why i cannot login to Dashboard of MyBooklive. I spent many time on search solution for resolving this. finally, i found your answer, i’m feeling happy. 

Good. Glad it worked. I’ve had the dead Dashboard UI myself and having SSH access (I changed the default password to something secure) enabled and a bit of additional knowledge, have saved my MyBook Live from being subject to RMA.

Overall, I’m quite happy with it.  Just for some reason Western Digital is having issues with the firmware.

Yesterday ,WD released new firmware and I updated my booklive. Unbelievable, I Can login to my Dashboard :X

Hello,

I got my UI bricked and I had no SSH enabled.

Now, I opened my MBL out of its case, connected via sada port on my pc (in AHCI mode) and now how I enter the file manager so I can enable the SSH and update to new firmware? I see 5 partitions in Computer Management

1rst 15MB unalocated

2nd 489 MB RAW

3rd and 4th 1.91 GB

5th 927 GB RAW

Thanks,

S@

On the 3rd and 4th partitions edit the file  /etc/nas/service_startup/ssh and change its content from disabled to enabled.  It’s actually a RAID1 configuration so would be better mounted as such before editing the ssh file.

Copy the latest firmware update file to the 5th partition under /DataVolume/shares/Public.

Put the MBL back together again and power it up.  the SSH daemon should now be enabled.  get to the Linux’s command line and invoke the command . . .

/usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021109-053-20120413.deb

Don’t close the terminal window while the upgrade is running.

I think this should be the easiest solution from the point you’re at now.

…  but reading your post again, I don’t know if your PC is running Windows or Linux.  If Windows you may need a file system driver installed like the one at http://www.fs-driver.org/ and http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Thanks for the fast reply,

Primary on Windows 7 x64 but got live ubuntu for this purpose. I cant get to enter any partition on windows or ubunto.

Any suggestions?

Try this . . .

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-368098/debricking-script-that-can-keep-data

Ok, see the script, how do I run it under ubuntu?

Thanks,

S@