'[FAQ] Twonky DLNA Media Server Setup & Use

[edit: a word of caution is needed here, as I note that people are reading this FAQ as ‘gospel’: it certainly isn’t; it’s just a collection of my findings, and I may be wrong (as I made clear in my original post). I find that putting my media into Twonky’s ‘Shared Media’ folders causes me trouble. BUT, given that there must be tens or hundreds of thousands of MyCloud users, and we’re not seeing them all here, cursing Twonky, I suspect that most people have no problem following WD’s advice to use these folders. I’m sure my advice will not cause you problems, but, equally, WD’s advice may not cause you problems. It’s just one thing to try if you do have trouble.  If you have no trouble with the ‘Shared Media’ folders, or if you do, please share your experience, and we might be able to get to the bottom of the problem.]

[The purpose of the ‘Shared Media’ folders has finally dawned on me.  They’re not meant to be folders that Twonky creates for you to put your media in; they’re folders Twonky creates to store media it has copied from other media libraries it finds on the network, as part of its ‘aggregation’ function.]

[Of course, since Twonky starts up by default when you first turn on your MyCloud, it has already created these folders by the time you first see the Public share folder, and, with no explanation to the contrary, it seems that is where you’re supposed to put your media*.  YOU ARE NOT…  Don’t put anything in the ‘Shared Media’ folders; leave them for Twonky to use.]

I’ve added an FAQ on how to move these aggregation folders somewhere more tidy.

* Oh, and the reason why it seems that you should put your media in the ‘Shared Media’ folders?

Because those are the names that Windows uses for its public access ‘All Users\Documents’ media folders…  And the User Manual repeatedly says this is where you should store your media.  All I know is that if I do put my media in the ‘Shared Media’ folders, Twonky doesn’t behave properly.

3 Likes