Failed Drive - Advice required on replacement please

Drive A has failed on my Duo (about seven years old so cant complain) but having followed the User Manual advice to refer to knowledge base Answer ID 8644 for instructions on how to obtain a compatible drive, i find the Answer is no longer available. How do i know what drive i need to ensure its fully compatible and where would the community advise i source it from… ?

The UI specifically states :-

To recover from a drive failure, you must replace the failed drive with a WD or Hitachi drive of the same model and capacity. If you are in Maximum Protection mode, your My Book Live Duo automatically resynchronizes the drives and rebuilds the RAID 1 configuration. …so am anxious to ensure a replacement is fully compatible.

Alternatively, although the Duo has served me well, it may now be considered completely out of data tech and its time to upgrade…?

Any assistance / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I’ve successfully upgrade my 6TB MBLD to 12TB by following below thread :-

I used 2x 6TB WD Red drives.

Excellent, thanks for that. It looks as if Green and Red are compatible, my two Green drives are 3TB each and are set for RAID 1 max protection. with 3TB total being enough to meet my needs so should be pretty straight forward as dont need to increase capacity. As a follow up question, as Green drive B seems to absolutely fine, I intend to run it along side a new 3TB Red…will running a Green and Red in the same unit cause any issues… ?
Thanks again for your response undead greatly appreciated.

I would suggest to use 2 identical drives, because different models can have different physical attributes that could raise some unexpected issues.

Thanks again undead, i’ll get a pair of Red 3TB in that case, just to confirm the procedure would be to replace the failed Green with new Red and let it rebuild the RAID 1 configuration, swap out the good Green for second new Red and let it rebuild the other way… simple as that or anything i need to look out for ?
Regards

You could go as you described. After you finished with the first Red, see whether the data sync accordingly, and then replace the second Green with a new Red.

Thanks, sorry to ask such basic questions, but have never been down this road before. ! whats the best way of confirming a full rebuild / sync…just comparing free capacity or can i look at the actual data on each drive independently in any way… ?

MBLD will give you a report of that.

Thanks, That’s great. Appreciate your help. :+1:

Hi. I’m in the same situation. Did this work for you? My A drive is gone, and looking to replace with 3TB Red as well. Data and everything still fine on B Drive. So hoping to just shove a new HDD in and be done with it…