Exceeded share directory monitor resource limit

How to solve?

What is the max directories? 

How can I know the no of directory?

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloudEX4 toronto.

Event title:Exceeded share directory monitor resource limit

Event description:Share directory monitor watch limit has been exceeded. Reduce the number of directories and restart the device to ensure all items are viewable in remote access.

Severity:Info

Event code:2300

Event time:01-29-2014 11:04:33 AM

Firmware version:       1.02.25

I have seen this error as well.  Don’t know what it means or if is related to any of the issues that I have been dealing with on this NAS.  Would be interested in knowing what the error is.   I’ve barely used the NAS and have gotten this error several times.

My understanding is that the directory monitor is established by either Twonky or the WD Cloud indexer to detect when files on the disk have changed, so that the re-indexing is automatic.

On the My Cloud (not EX4) forum, someone determined that the device can only monitor 5000 folders for changes.

If it’s only Twonky, then (in theory) you can turn that off by modifying the Townky config (via its web page) to turn off monitoring altogether.

I have also try by disable Twonky media server,

but still have this warning

Hi,

I have the same problem

Gravità:Info

Codice evento:2300

Ora evento:02-04-2014 06:20:03 AM

Versione firmware:	1.02.25

so let me get this right…

WD releases a NAS which can store 16 Gigabytes of media, and it can only monitor 5000 directories??  thats just crazy.

Even my old servers on the world book 1 & 2 didnt have this limit (I’m migrating my media from my old Nas’s).

So…

Just called WD re this message.  

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloudEX2 .

Event description:Share directory monitor watch limit has been exceeded. Reduce the number of directories and restart the device to ensure all items are viewable in remote access.

Event time:06-29-2014 10:33:23 AM

Firmware version:           1.03.41

Tech says to ignore this message.  First he claimed it came from the Windows OS.  Then I told him iit was an automated email from the NAS drive (nas.alerts@wdc.com) and he then said “you can ignore this message”.  Says he cant find message # 2300 in their knowledge base.  He also asked if I was able to access all of my files, I informed him that i have 1.3 million files in 70,000 directories.  I dont think that i am going to try to access each file.  I think I am probably not going to do another WD NAS drive.

brent.bowman wrote:

So…

Just called WD re this message.  

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloudEX2 .

Event time:06-29-2014 10:33:23 AM

Firmware version:           1.03.41

Tech says to ignore this message.  First he claimed it came from the Windows OS.  Then I told him iit was an automated email from the NAS drive (nas.alerts@wdc.com) and he then said “you can ignore this message”.  Says he cant find message # 2300 in their knowledge base.  He also asked if I was able to access all of my files, I informed him that i have 1.3 million files in 70,000 directories.  I dont think that i am going to try to access each file.  I think I am probably not going to do another WD NAS drive.

Sorry that our tech support didn’t meet your expectations.  I’ve asked our team to review the case.  This error occurs when there are too many files or directories within one share/folder.  Due to a limitation in databases (interger overflow) we can only index so many records.  You can ignore this error, and your content will still be scanned because of a work around.  We are looking into changing this error because it raises an alert that doesn’t really matter.

Has there been ANY RESOLUTION to this error.  I just received my EX2, connected a USB drive to it for transferring some archives to it, and when I looked again I had the email 2300 error notification and NOTHING HAD BEEN SUCCESSFULLY TRANSFERRED.

What kind of byzantine OS is being used that limits the number of files/folders???   I’ll be returning my device to Amazon if I don’t find a resolution today.

**bleep** shame.

gmalone wrote:

What kind of byzantine OS is being used that limits the number of files/folders???   I’ll be returning my device to Amazon if I don’t find a resolution today.

Asside from the fact that both of your posts are in the wrong forums (you say you have an EX2, but you’re posting in the EX4 and the Cloud forums) – did you not read the post right above yours which explains that the error message is cosmetic, and does not have an effect on actual media service?

No need to be snide.  EX2 and EX4 are only different in drive size.  This issue is software… My Cloud software.  The title of this post is the software issue I am having.  Excuse me while I reply to it.

When I encountered the error it also ‘Canceled’ the ‘Backup’, only a few files were copied over instead of the large archive it was supposed to.  That’s not just cosmetic.

I spent at least 30 mins on the phone with a tech on this same topic. 

I got the same e-mail msg as many on here about directories having been exceeded.

The person put me on hold at least three times.  My guess was to consult with other members on his team.  He said he had never gotten this question before.

Eventually, the tech tried to direct me to a Twonky Server page.  But first he kept telling me to put a (.) after http//(name of device).9000.  We did this for about three tries, before he told me to replace period with (:)  That didn’t work.

Finally, I got to the Twonky Server page by typing in my IP address followed by (:9000).  I was then directed to the rescan inteval and instructed to change -1 to 0.

I inquired into what was the purpose of the rescan interval, but the tech could not explain what this function existed for, or how changing it from its current configuration of -1 to 0 could impact the performance of my system.

Last week I purchased a My CloudMirror.  By the second day the front LED lights went red, and never changed.  I took device back to the store, and got a replacement.  I did have to spend some time with tech support for help with the second drive, and the support I got from everyone I spoke with was OUTSTANDING.   David at Level 2 was incredible.

I’ve used WD products for many years, and generally have been very pleased with their product and support.

I think my problem is resolved, but I never did get answers to my questions about function of rescan interval, or how many folders can you create if you don’t change the interval.  I tried giving an example similar to one below, but the tech couldn’t tell me if this was too many

Share Folder:          Pictures

Sub Folders:           200 different ones

Sub Sub Folders   200 different ones in each of the 200 sub folders

Each Sub Sub folders contains anywhere from 200 to 12 thousand pictures

Again, the tech had no knowledge if a scenario like this would generate the directory watch limit e-mail. 

If anyone from WD, or fellow posters happens to read this post, I very much would appreciate answers to my questions the WD tech I dealt with could not answer.