EX4100 System Constantly Running under OS5

Hi All,

Since I updated my EX4100 to OS5 I have noticed the drives never stop. I am well past the initial indexing phase. I checked the status to find it is “Generating Profiles” or “Retrieving Information”. The CPU is nearly always over 50% utilization as is RAM. As it has been mentioned by others this is just going to wear out my drives a lot quicker.

Another thing that I am left with is that the workstation no longer maps persistent drives via the UI under OS5 to the EX4100. I have to login to the EX4100 each time with problems. Finally after days I figured out to run the mappings via a batch file. An extra step but, it works clean. Puzzling. Mappings under OS3 worked just fine under the WIN UI.

I have actually been mostly happy with this device for what I use it for. I only use it to store files, largely photos which can be 10-20 Mb + in size. It is a 9Tb, RAID 5 setup. I only have the USB Backup utility loaded and use it to make backups periodically.

I have had some issues with it that I get around. Under OS3 it was slow for any remote access. Using WiFi to transfer files was just a killer. I had to hard wire (@1Gb) the workstation to the EX4100 to get my best response, which is workable. Remote access to my cell was too poor to use.

With the Upgrade to OS5 I do get better response remotely. Files surface faster and I can now use my cell to get at the photos albeit a bit slow. The new RAW format used by Canon, CR3, does not work within the EX4100 software environment for viewing.

I am concerned about some things and would like WD to respond to.

First, why is the EX4100 running all the time? Under OS3 it did sleep while I was not actually using it.

Second, Am I the only one having mapping issues? Under OS3 it did work.

Third, Anyone else using Canon gear needs the CR3 file format to work.

Forth, Does WD explain what they did in OS5 that now gives better access remotely. Where are the indexed files stored and are any of the files stored on my device copied in any way off my device. WD, “Generating Profiles” or “Retrieving Information” from/to where that this would require so much resource?

CapeCod

@CapeCod

• First, why is the EX4100 running all the time? **
  • Under OS3 it did sleep while I was not actually using it.

Generating Previews is the process that extracts thumbnails from supported file type which read and writes to the drive.
Twonky, Plex, Good Sync and other installed 3rd party apps will also read/write from the drive is they are running.

• Second, Am I the only one having mapping issues? Under OS3 it did work.

Your computer may need SMB1 and NTLMv1 enabled.
These settings can be changed under “Windows Protocols”

My Cloud OS 5: Change Windows Samba (SMB) Protocol Version

• Third, Anyone else using Canon gear needs the CR3 file format to work.

CR3 is not a support file type

My Cloud OS 5: Thumbnail Preview Supported File Types
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29970

• Forth, Does WD explain what they did in OS5 that now gives better access remotely.
  • Where are the indexed files stored and are any of the files stored on my device copied in any way off my device. WD, “Generating Profiles” or “Retrieving Information” from/to where that this would require so much resource?

My Cloud OS 5 uses a completely different architecture and technology than My Cloud OS 3.
The database is located in /mnt/HD/HD_a2/restsdk-data/

Well, here it is March 2021, and this is what I find so far after a few months of just letting things settle down.

SMB1 was enabled on my PC and this gave me access to the EX4100 via NETWORK in File Explorer. Microsoft is clear about SMB1 and NTLM1 not being secure and does not recommend its use. Enabling SMB1 did not fix my persistent mapping issue. My batch file solution does work fine, and I am beginning to like it because there are times, I like not having these drives mapped.

The system continued to run my drives all the way up to March 20, 2021… none stop. Not kidding, I checked them each day. On March 20, 2021 I noticed a notification that a firmware update 5.11.112 had been done. I went to the EX4100 to check it. Previous updates had locked the system when it rebooted after the update forcing me to do a hard restart. This stopped happening after the previous update. I still check. I noticed the system as up and the drives were not running crazy as they had been and appeared very content. Steady blue lights.
I continued to work with the system as I normally do and have found the drives are now behaving. The drives are quiet except when I access them, as they should. Changing or adding files does not send them into an indexing frenzy. I also had an opportunity to access the available shares via a remote connection use My Cloud while away from the house over my cell phone. The response was much better, however some of this may be due to the strong 5G signal I managed to find. CR2 files surfaced quickly.

Speaking of CR2 files. I am not happy when I am told CR3 (this is a RAW format for photo files) is not supported and no indication that it is being worked on is stated. CR3 has been included in just about all the other software I use for camera work. WD is the only hold out. Just an encouraging word would be nice.

WD what did you do in firmware update 5.11.112 ?
CapeCod