EX4100 System Constantly Running under OS5

Hi All,

Since I updated my EX4100 to OS5 I have noticed the drives never stop.  I am well past the initial indexing phase.  I checked the status to find it is "Generating Profiles" or "Retrieving Information".  The CPU is nearly always over 50% utilization as is RAM.  As it has been mentioned by others this is just going to wear out my drives a lot quicker.
 Another thing that I am left with is that the workstation no longer maps persistent drives via the UI under OS5 to the EX4100.  I have to login to the EX4100 each time with problems. Finally after days I figured out to run the mappings via a batch file.  An extra step but, it works clean.  Puzzling.  Mappings under OS3 worked just fine under the WIN UI.
 I have actually been mostly happy with this device for what I use it for.  I only use it to store files, largely photos which can be 10-20 Mb + in size.  It is a 9Tb, RAID 5 setup.  I only have the USB Backup utility loaded and use it to make backups periodically.
 I have had some issues with it that I get around.  Under OS3 it was slow for any remote access.  Using WiFi to transfer files was just a killer.  I had to hard wire (@1Gb) the workstation to the EX4100 to get my best response, which is workable.  Remote access to my cell was too poor to use.
With the Upgrade to OS5 I do get better response remotely.  Files surface faster and I can now use my cell to get at the photos albeit a bit slow.  The new RAW format used by Canon, CR3, does not work within the EX4100 software environment for viewing.
 I am concerned about some things and would like WD to respond to.  
 First,  why is the EX4100 running all the time?  Under OS3 it did sleep while I was not actually using it.
 Second, Am I the only one having mapping issues?  Under OS3 it did work.
 Third,  Anyone else using Canon gear needs the CR3 file format to work.
 Forth, Does WD explain what they did in OS5 that now gives better access remotely.  Where are the indexed files stored and are any of the files stored on my device copied in any way off my device.  WD,  "Generating Profiles" or "Retrieving Information" from/to where that this would require so much resource?

@CapeCod

First, why is the EX4100 running all the time? Under OS3 it did sleep while I was not actually using it.

Sounds like your device is still “Generating Previews” which means disk activity is occurring.

My Cloud OS 5: Generating Previews Message

Second, Am I the only one having mapping issues? Under OS3 it did work.

Indexing the Generating Previews will occur for every Share that has Cloud Access enabled until all content has been processed.

Third, Anyone else using Canon gear needs the CR3 file format to work.

Canon CR3 RAW images are not supported.

My Cloud OS 5: Thumbnail Preview Supported File Types

Forth, Does WD explain what they did in OS5 that now gives better access remotely.
Where are the indexed files stored and are any of the files stored on my device copied in any way off my device.
WD, “Generating Profiles” or “Retrieving Information” from/to where that this would require so much resource?

Similar to OS 3, indexes and thumbnail images are stored on your local device.

My Cloud OS 5: High CPU Usage and Slow Response Times After Update

My Cloud OS 5: Generating Previews Message

My Cloud OS 5: Normal Memory Usage

@sbrown;

Thanks for posting those links; and please keep up your excellent communications work. I believe your presence and work is important for the WD NAS user base.

That’s all well and good. . . .but actually not really all that good. Canon moved to CR3 almost three years ago. . . .and all their recent bodies that use RAW files are using the CR3 format.

Fortunately, Canon is only a bit player, with a mere 45% market share.
Canon’s 45.4% market share is greater than Sony, Nikon and Fuji’s combined | Digital Camera World

All kidding aside, if WD is serious about web access for photographic content; the CR3 format needs to be addressed.

For the record; I am a Canon user; I have one camera using CR3; probably will buy another in the next year. Canon cameras generate a very large % of the content on my NAS drives. I have not noticed this omission in OS5 yet, only because I have opted to not put “mission critical” files on that unit. (and do not have cloud access on my other NAS drives: When remote, I avoid WD servers and use VPN)

shading eyes and shaking head

Thank you for your quick response. I will review your comments and test a few things and get back to all with my results.

NAS_user is correct regarding the CR3 format. To add, as I too take more images the need for compatibility will become more of an issue and should be addressed.

WD Community,

My Cloud OS 5 firmware 5.12.108 was released today and supports the thumbnail generation of Canon CR3 files.

https://community.wd.com/t/my-cloud-os-5-firmware-release-note-v5-12-108