EX4100 Disk Replacement

Hi,

Running an EX4100 4x6TB Raid 0 and have just seen a Bad Disk warning for disk 1.

I have just upgraded to OS5 but I am assuming it is an actual hardware issue.

I have essential data backed up elsewhere and will backup the remainder.

If I buy a replacement 6TB drive from the compatibility list is there anything else I need to know before swapping the disk? I have searched for instructions on disk replacement without sucess.

Can I run different disk sizes or do I have to use a 6TB drive or swap all 4 (something I am considering as they are all around 4 years old.)

Thanks for any assistance or pointers to threads I have missed in my search.

1 Like

A lot of users are reporting drive problems as a result of migrating to OS5. It causes massive indexing load and has given many users days and weeks of drive indexing processes ramping their disk, CPU and RAM usage to 100% the entire time, and a few people are even reporting their disk health is showing as red due to the extended periods of reading.

If I were you I’d open up a support ticket with WD and ask them for a replacement drive since the OS migration probably killed the one you had inside with these excessive reads over a prolonged period. If they won’t ship you a replacement drive ask them for a full replacement unit for the whole NAS or full return and refund of the product and then go purchase one from their competitor instead.

Thanks for the feedback,

The issue may be OS5 related but in my case, I don’t run any servers (Cloud, Media etc.) and my upgrade only took about 15 minutes with no indexing delay.

Once I end up with a replacement disk one way or another is there any information about replacing disks? I have checked the online manual but can’t see any details.

1 Like

Typically, I would try to find the same capacity HDD. Here is the HDD compatibility list for EX4100:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/133#WD_compatibility

You can refer to this article about replacing the internal hard drive:

Here is also another article about the RAID rebuild if needed:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25488

1 Like

Thanks for the links. That was what I was after.