Error message when I try to trash a backup

Hello everybody.
I want to give my WD external hard drive to a friend, and I am trying to erase the existing back up. I was able to do trash a couple but there is still some and when I try to dump them in the trash I get the following error message: The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)
Any idea what to do?
Thanks in advance for your input.
JRP

Hi @Jacotte,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I have tried to use WD support but the first thing it asked, before answering any question, was my name and credit card number! Am I going to have to pay for some “support” idea that may, or may not work?

Hi @Jacotte,

Please be informed that you can contact the respective WD Technical Support team no charges will be applied for assistance.

The error code 50 generally pops up when you try to copy, move, or delete files from your external hard drive, SSD, or USB flash drive due to several reasons:

1. Logical issue
  2. Malware
  3. Bad sectors
  4. Damaged file system
  5. Failing drive

However, you can try the below methods to overcome this error on your Mac:

1. Reboot your Mac
  2. Unmount the external drive & power cycle your Mac
  3. Reset power related settings on your Mac
  4. Rename the affected file from the external drive
  5. Manage files from external drive using Terminal
  6. Repair the external drive using Disk Utility
  7. Format external drive using Disk Utility

Further, in case of any data loss situation, recover files from the external drive using reliable & secure data recovery software for Mac!

Hope it helps!