Ensuring files deleted are also auto deleted on MY Book

1. I have backed up my files. However now, deleting a file on my computer does not result in it being deleted from the “MY Book” external hard drive. I have tried this several times, changed the software setting so it should happen immediately, waited for a couple of hours, etc. I am concerned that as I continue to add new files,& delete files, that the External HD will gradually fill up with old files that I have deleted.

you did not specify how did you back up the files or what is the name of the software used, however, If you used WD Smartware you will need to go to Computer > Open the drive > open WD Smartware.swstor and delete the files manually from the back up folder.

1 Like

kejimkujik wrote:

1. I have backed up my files. However now, deleting a file on my computer does not result in it being deleted from the “MY Book” external hard drive.

You are NOT backing up your files, a backup means by definition having the files on at least 2 different places at the same time in case one of them is to fail. What you want to do (Having the files erased from the drive so they are kept exactly the same way as your computer) is called a synchronization, try Memeo, DMailer, GoodSync or SyncToy for what you want instead of Smartware.

The software that comes with the drive is for backups, so it keeps the files even if deleted from your computer.

1 Like

Thread moved to WD Software & Accessories: WD Smartware.

Thanks for this. I’ll have to think through what solution I want, I guess. It seems with Sync, you would lose a file you accidently deleted, but with smartware, it wolud be kept but files would pile up as they are changed. So if you are working on a file, and make constant changes, it would save each copy?

kejimkujik wrote:

Thanks for this. I’ll have to think through what solution I want, I guess. It seems with Sync, you would lose a file you accidently deleted, but with smartware, it wolud be kept but files would pile up as they are changed. So if you are working on a file, and make constant changes, it would save each copy?

Only if you have the option to keep multiple copies enabled, if you set the file history to just one under software settings (Setup software) then it will only keep one version (The latest).