Elements 4TB: Device is working properly but not showing in My Computer

Good morning,
My WD Elements 4TB External Hard Drive is not showing up in My Computer.

I have gone to Devices and Printers and it says “device is working properly”.
I have tried updating the driver but it says most recent driver is installed.

Although I don’t have any idea how to use this feature, I have opened disk management but it doesn’t appear to be showing there either.

I have unistalled and reinstalled and no joy there. Any help much appreciated :slight_smile:

Hello,

I recommend you try connecting the drive to another USB port. Make sure it is connected directly into a computer port and not a USB HUB. Also if possible replace the USB cable and try it on another computer.

Thank you for the reply @Hamlet . I have tried all 4 ports on my computer. I have plugged directly into ports and also through hub. I have tried another cable which definitely works and all with the same result. It must be connecting to the computer to show it in the “devices” folder.
There is no noise coming from the drive. You know how you can normally hear the drive spinning? This has nothing.

I have also tried plugging the ac adapter directly into the wall socket and no change

I have contacted WD support and they have recommended replacement of the external drive as I have exhausted the troubleshooting options. Just thought I’d let anyone reading this in future know.

I have the same problem with a my book 2tb… it fell about 2 feet and now does exactly what yours does/ did. Did you get any help from WD support or do I have to swear never to buy another WD product again?

WD replaced it with out any drama. It was still under the 12 month warranty. Really happy with their service especally in this day and age!