Easy method to downgrade to previous version of the firmware

When you are in ssh do the following

cd /etc

cp version versionOLD

nano version

Edit your version number

Control X to save, enter to confirm saving changes

No need to install WinSCP

Etupes, its not work in v4. Need to edit /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh

Comment or delete this:

if [-z "${update_container}"] && ["${vnew}" -lt "${vnow}"]; then
	error="failed 200 \"invalid firmware package\""
	pre-update_error $error
f

Then download FW and run update:

apt-get install unzipcd /DataVolume/
wget http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb.zip
unzip sq-030401-230-20140415.deb.zip
/usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb
1 Like

It worked well for me. I messed up the updateFirmwareFromFile.sh by doing a stupid mistake so using the OP method and replacing WinSCP with a nano edit, while following the OP’s instructions for the actual changes went through like a breeze.

Hi All,

works for me too.

Big THANK YOU!!! to PVS0705 and all other folks who discuss the issue in details.

Just some my observations:

• indeed, I had to wait some time before system read the free space on disk and as we all know with version 4 it took years (well, ca. 10 minutes in my case). Till then ‘not enough memory error’ appeared
  • downloading old version took 12 minutes. There was no sign of life during this process, so I became a bit nervous. Then downloading window appear with progerss bar, so next 4 minutes was ok :slight_smile:
  • Twonky came back to 7.2.6-2G with the downgrade and works fine
  • Access to disk is normal, almost immediate, no crazy delays in dashboars, file transfer 10-20MB

WD - shame on you! you should recommend this solution as an official one when we told you that version 4 is a **bleep**!

For anyone seeing error messages, make sure you unzip the deb download.  If you don’t show file extensions, it looks like you have a .deb file, but it really is .deb.zip when you download it.

Took me a few minutes to notice it.

Good to know that more people are able to downgrade smoothly.
Thanks to all the expert advice from other members for people with issues. I am a noob so can’t provide much help.
I just noted down the steps used by the WD customer service person when he remotely logged on to my computer to downgrade.

edit: I just tried to revert again and I got a message that says there is not enough room to update from the file I downloaded? I did this the first time and had no problems. But I re updated and now and trying to revert again :frowning:

Wijllie wrote> Your IP is personal so that link won’t work for most of us… (could be 10.168.123.55:9000 or anything else)

Right, I meant to replace that with something more generic, but forgot. I’ve put the default hostname in which should work for most people.

lotust251 wrote:
edit: I just tried to revert again and I got a message that says there is not enough room to update from the file I downloaded? I did this the first time and had no problems. But I re updated and now and trying to revert again :frowning:

NM i just had to let the scan finish.   Im downgrading again… 

Thanks… followed exactly… worked perfectly.

I now have a snappier/responsive NAS back.

:catvery-happy:

Success

I’m in warp speed…!

Everything fine, even 3G access from my iphone

Wow!  Worked for me.  Now to wait a few days to see if my cloud device maintains its connection.  

A note:  I did have to reboot my computer in order to see the device in WD Quick View.

Thank you.

using this guide  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Easy-method-to-downgrade-to-previous-version-of-the-firmware/m-p/773073/highlight/true#M18956

im stuck on the 03.04.01-219 since I updated the version file with winSCP.   I cant update to 4.00.01-62​3 at all.  I even tried to SSH my was in and manually do the update.  I just get stuck at 100% updting for hours.   

should I rename the version in the version file in the /ect folder to 4.00.01-623  from 03.04.01-219 it was at before I tried to update over and over.   

well that did the trick.  Im on the latest and all seems faster so far.  

I am new to the forum and I am really struggling to get this to work. Currently running 04.00.00-607 on a 3TB My Cloud.

I have applied this method, and everything seems to work - in fact I get a message which says the firmware installation was successful and the drive is rebooting.

But when I got back into the UI after the reboot, there is a warning which says “Firmware upgrade Failed - Error 1003”.

Twonky is still running 7.2.8 which makes me thing that the firmware did not roll back. Because I changed the version file to 03.04.01-219, this still shows in the dashboard.

What am I doing wrong here?? Sigh!!

I have also tried the SSH method outlined by Fox_exe (see below) which has the same result (seems to work, but then the alert saying the firmware upgrade (downgrade) failed!)

Need to edit /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh

Comment or delete this:

pre-update_error $error
f

Then download FW and run update:

apt-get install unzipcd /DataVolume/
wget http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb.zip
unzip sq-030401-230-20140415.deb.zip
/usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb

is

http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb.zip

the most recent v3 firmware that doesn’t have the 64k memory issue?

Worked like a charm!

My Cloud is now stable, speedy, accessible and totally enjoyable again.

Wonder why WD hasn’t fixed the V4 firmware issues or just reissued the previous V3 till they get the problem fixed???

Red_Frog,

I ran into the same error that you did, but got passed it by downgrading in two steps.  

1. Downgrade to:   http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-040000-607-20140630.deb.zip

2. Then Downgrade to:   http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb.zip

You will need to do steps below to allow you to downgrade once you apply 40000-607 firmware.

Need to edit /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh

Comment or delete this:

pre-update_error $error
if
1 Like

Hmmm. Did the downgrade and now the dashboard gets to “attempting to authenticate” and then the screen goes black with only the WD logo and the words “My Cloud” in the upper left.  There were no errors listed during the downgrade process and the My Cloud rebooted automatically.

Also, Smartware quick view is no longer in my icon tray (Win7) and when I select it from the programs list, it doesn’t run.  The full version of smartware does see the My Cloud as does Windows Explorer.

The My Cloud software can also see the My Cloud drive via the Internet.

EDIT: After trying to open quick view several times, Windows Explorer crashed and restarted and quick view is back in the icon tray. Still can’t get dashboard to get to the user log in screen.  Checked twonky and it is v7.2.6-2G and it is working fine but that is only media server and not log in. Just for fun, I tried to log in with WinSCP and it said that the connection was “actively refused by server.”

Hi Stealth57

I have had this issue a few times before when downgrading after trying unsuccessfully to use V4 firmwares the 40 second reset has always sorted it for me:smiley: