Easy method to downgrade to previous version of the firmware

A word of warning…

WD MyCloud 4TB. I upgraded the firmware to v04.00.00-607 after installing (I didn’t know any better at that point). No, I wasn’t happy with the results, and WD tech support was a waste of time.

I downgraded the firmware as described, w/o any problems. However, after rebooting with the downgraded firmware (v03.04.01-219), Twonky wouldn’t start, and the unit generated the “Media server database internal server error. (400162)” message. (Rescanning or rebuilding didn’t work, because Twonky wouldn’t start.)

I re-applied v04.00.00-607, and after rebooting everything (including Twonky) was back to normal.

I’m told that MyCloud was supplied with Twonky v7.2.6; but I have v7.2.8. So my surmise is that, in my case, the v04.00.00-607 update didn’t just update the firmware; it also updated Twonky to v7.2.8. Downgrading to v03.04.01-219 didn’t change that, and there is some incompatibility between Twonky v7.2.8 and FW v03.04.01-219 which prevents Twonky from starting.

Something to consider before downgrading to v03.04.01-219.

Thanks for the tip, in my case I have no problems with the downgrading and the Twonky server…

Registered only to say thanks for this post  PVS0705, you’ve saved a 40inch samsung TV come huge laptop monitor from having a WD mycloud 4TB paperweight embedded in it… if you catch my drift…

Updating firmware to V 4 caused all sorts of nightmares…

1. Transfer speed dropped through the floor… before upgrade was avg. 60MB/s write 80MB/s read to/from laptop. dropped to 20/25 respectively.

2. Kept losing contact with USB external drives through hub (couldn’t navigate to the shares using samba even though web interface showed everything ok) worsened to not being able to access ANY shares !!! (yes i have lots of storage attached, 7 shares and counting)

3. Web interface was becoming unresponsive resulting in having to do a power cycle (I know, not good and scary each time wondering if it would come back).

Most importantly, me forgetting I had updated the firmware last week and was looking at all sorts of possibilities/poblems with my network/laptop/hard drives etc…

Thank you GOOGLE, you save the day again :wink:

Thank you  PVS0705 again for doing the hard bit and finding out how to downgrade then post the info here… your a star…

As mentioned earlier in this thread, wonder what WD broke with this update? is it possible they busted some samba stuff? What software is evryone running that finds the update unstable? Windows?

But, at least WD helped us revert back to previous firmware and all is running smoothly again… :wink:

Thank you WD for an excellent product… even the best of us mess up sometimes!!! :wink:

Hi all,

If I downgrade to v03.04.01-219 will it also eliminate the 64-bit page size that showed in the v04 firmware? I’d like to use Crashplan again but cannot because I’m not tech savy enough to build packages for the 64-bit page size.

thanks.

If I downgrade to v03.04.01-219 will it also eliminate the 64-bit page size that showed in the v04 firmware? I’d like to use Crashplan again but cannot because I’m not tech savy enough to build packages for the 64-bit page size.

Simple answer is yes. This is one of the main reason why people stay at version 3.4.

i downgreaded and its up to warp speed again thanks OP :heart:

Add me to the list of satisfied “Downgraders”. Mine was doing OK with the new FW, but I was having some remote access issues and could not email links to pictures from the WD Photos app. Several days ago I tried the long restore process… no improvement

Today I did the downgrade and, while file transfer speed isn’t noticeably faster (maybe a little bit), my remote issues have cleared up. I can send email links to photos and the response of the mobile apps to the MC is noticeable better.

Another big thank you to the OP. I was finally successful at downgrading to the v3 version after a couple of failed, bungled or otherwise disastrous attempts…

After disabling the scanning services and all the media features, I now have a fast NAS for backup.

So has anyone succesfully used these instructions to downgrade, while having Twonky version 7.2.8, and had Twonky work after?

It worked for some users above, but it’s not clear if that’s simply because they had an older version of twonky. You can check your twonky version at:

http://wdmylcoud:9000/#setup

You may have to modify the hostname if you’ve customized yours.

Gerald55 wrote:

So has anyone succesfully used these instructions to downgrade, while having Twonky version 7.2.8, and had Twonky work after?

It worked for some users above, but it’s not clear if that’s simply because they had an older version of twonky. You can check your twonky version at:

http://192.168.0.102:9000/#setup

Your IP is personal so that link won’t work for most of us… (could be 10.168.123.55:9000 or anything else)

My working Twonky is 7.2.6-2G after "up"grading to 4 and then back down to 3. I’ve no idea whether it went 7.2.8 and back or was always at 7.2.6

I checked my version of Twonky before and after downgrading f/w from 4 to 3.

Twonky also changed… from 7.2.8 to 7.2.6-2G. I did nothing special to make this happen. It just happened.

Thx , It worked perfect for me (Win7)

I had to do an extra reboot of my PC to start the scanning for the DLNA media server (maybe a cache problem) 

All fiiles were scanned perfectly and the I/O throughput is again acceptable 

Twonky is now Version: 7.2.6-2G and works as expected as soon as the scanning was done (idle status)

Thx again

Thanks alot you saved my Cloud.
Now it’s fast as possible like a 2 Month ago

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!

I’m not sure what feature I will miss most about Version 4? The super slow transfer speeds, or having to reboot the cloud in order to log into the UI.

Downgrade worked 100% The cloud is back to working the way it should.

Thanks for the good info.

This worked for me as well.  Thank you!!!

Was getting frustrated with how slow my nas was working. 

To anyone else reading this, the “update” to the older firmware takes a little time, at least it did for me.

This worked for me too! Thanks!!

The upload of the 120Mb firmware to the device took nearly 10min!! (as it was deadly slow…)

Now after a reboot everything is fine again, the drive is working as expected…

There is obviously a BIG flaw in the v4 firmware!!!

Excellent post, many thanks. Post the V4 firmware upgrade my 2TB Cloud ran like an absolute dog, running very slow was the least of my problems. Downgrading to the previous version as described in your post has got my Cloud working again, fast etc. I’ve now disabled auto update and won’t be upgrading in a hurry,

Actually I started uploading media-files to my new MyCloud, Firmware 4.00.00-607, connected with a GigaBit-LAN-Port.

The time needed is unbelievable:

1 Video-File 6GB: 10 - 15 min

1 Picture-File 6MB: 10 - 15 sec

During the datatransfer the system is working extremly on the disk drive, maybe a scanning process in the background.

An update in the database should not need such a time.

There is a general malfunction in the firmware or Twonky-Server.

Now to find a solution is not a task of the users but urgently of WD!

i read your post, and is there a way for me to downgrade and set it from mac os ?  i am using mac os, and the winscp is windows app.

I am finding my mycloud using firm v4, so sluggish, the speed for transfer , read and write only max 12MBps, and i have no idea what is wrong, i thought the unit is faulty, and but when i read your post, that it make sense might be the firmware screwup, and i was on email with th wd tech support for last few days, and they never said might be firmware problem, just ask me to reset, and try again, and factory reset and **bleep** what if my data lost ? they ask me to back up, yeahh my problem is not  i want to back up or transfering my data to another NAS, and so **bleep** slowww, everytime i click copy, they message is preparing… not copying…