Does a WD Elements drive go into sleep or hibernation?

What’s the power-on plan for WD Element drives?

I’m thinking of getting one to plug into the NAS to do backups to. Will it run 24/7 if plugged into the NAS? Or does it wake upon accessing it?

Thanks for any help.

Hello Matt1106,

The drive receives power from the USB port of the NAS device and if there is read and write operation on the drive then this activity increases.

I have serveral WD Elements Desktop drives … a mix of 3TB and 4TB’s

Plugged into USB3.0 ports on my PC, yes they do go to sleep … and take several seconds to ‘wake up’

And from memory i had a small 1TB WD Elements SE Portable drive plugged into my WD My Cloud, and that went to sleep as well.

I used a Portable as it’s USB powered Vs a Desktop drive which uses A/C Power
Adaptor (which would be on 24/7)

If you don’t need much storage space ie. ie between 2TB~4TB then i’d recommend a Portable Elements which will go to sleep and consume less power.

Thanks for replying.

The WD Elements Desktop is A/C powered, not USB powered. If it’s dual powered, I haven’t seen that mentioned.

Joey Smyth

Thanks for letting me know about the A/C power. I was thinking about getting a WD Elements 10TB drive and plug it into my QNAP NAS. The Elements drive would be used to do regular backups of the laptops and tablets.

The next NAS will be a 4-bay (6-bay if I can wait till a good sale) and large enough to dedicate some drives to for the backups. And if a large WD desktop drive that is A/C powered is not feasible for the time being, The new NAS will be coming sooner rather than later.

dual powered ? i think you misunderstood me

Portable Drives are USB Powered

Desktop Drives are A/C Powered

all i was trying to say is that using a USB Powered drive won’t use as much power because the NAS is powering it.

But, since you’re after a 10TB drive, the A/C Powered is your only choice … and that’s ok

I understood your answer and appreciate the help.

Neo33 said it was USB powered, which is incorrect for many large drives. I only know of 2.5" drives and SSDs being USB powered. My 4tb 3.5" USB desktop drive is A/C powered, so I know larger ones will also be.

I’m not so much concerned about power consumption as I am about a drive that is running 24/7 that doesn’t go to sleep when not at work.

Again, thanks for your help. I’ll either get the 8-10tb and plug it in 2 days/ wk for backups or go with a new, 4 or 6-bay NAS so I can dedicate 2 HDDs (in raid) to backups. Adding a USB desktop drive is an attempt to consolidate the multiple 1 and 2tb USB-powered drives I use for backups now. But a larger NAS is the eventual goal for easy organizing and consolidation.