Difference between G-Raid 2 and G-Raid w/ Thunderbolt 3?

Difference between G-Raid 2 and G-Raid w/ Thunderbolt 3?

Hi @MiamiC70,

Please refer to the below link to check the features of G-RAID with Thunderbolt 3:
https://support-en.g-technology.com/app/products/detailnew/p/91/~/91

Please refer to the below link to check the features of G-RAID with Thunderbolt 2:
https://support-en.g-technology.com/app/products/detailnew/p/90/~/90

That is NOT what I asked. I am well aware of the difference between Thunderbolt 2 vs Thunderbolt 3.

What I asked is what are the updates to the G-Raid Thunderbolt 3 that merit you now releasing and labeling it as G-Raid 2 w/ Thunderbolt 3 and assigning it a new part number.

1 Like

HA! You called them out on their BS they didn’t have an answer. Love it!

I found this and it’s quite interesting…
The website says the 8GB model of the ThunderBolt 3 gets 400 Mb/s, but the older Thunderbolt 2 with 6GB gets transfer rates up to 440mb/s.

How is that possible that an older TB2 drive is faster???

I have NEVER gotten anywhere near those transfer speeds on my TB3 enclosure. hovers around 185-195 Mb/s which is GARBAGE!

The G-Raid 2 and G-Raid with Thunderbolt 3 are two different models of storage solutions offered by G-Technology, a manufacturer of external hard drives. Here are the main differences between the two:

1. Connection Interface: The G-Raid 2 typically uses a USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 Gen 1 interface, which offers fast data transfer speeds but not as fast as Thunderbolt 3. On the other hand, the G-Raid with Thunderbolt 3 utilizes Thunderbolt 3 technology, which provides significantly faster data transfer rates.
  2. Data Transfer Speed: The Thunderbolt 3 interface used in the G-Raid with Thunderbolt 3 is capable of much higher data transfer speeds compared to USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 Gen 1. Thunderbolt 3 can achieve speeds of up to 40 Gbps, while USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 Gen 1 typically max out at 5 Gbps and 10 Gbps, respectively. This means that the G-Raid with Thunderbolt 3 can transfer data much more quickly.

Who the ■■■■ asked you to post a Wikipedia answer. I know ■■■■ well what the differences in protocols, cables and ports are what I said is your piece of ■■■■ hardware never comes close to those speeds even when using appropriate hardware, cables and ports.

I genuinely do not believe there is a difference besides the branding. The original is Silver with G-Technology branding while the G-RAID 2 is Space Grey with SanDisk Professional.

Amusingly, WD discontinued the SmartWare/QuickView programs years ago, but a G-RAID 2 easily shows up as a Thunderbolt 3 on the taskbar.