Cyclic Redundancy check issue

i have a problem with my external hard it can’t show in the computer.I would go in disck managment where i found the hard drive is unallocated and not initialize and while i am doing initializing there is an error called ( cyclic redundacy check ) and i don’t know how to solve this.

Hi kaali,

You can follow the steps given below to fix the issue with the hard drive.

-To solve CRC error, you must repair the hard drive by running CHKDSK utility via command prompt. CHKDSK checks the integrity of your hard drive and fixes logical file system errors, bad sectors & file system metadata. You can run CHKDSK by following these steps:

• Connect the storage device to your PC.

• Press ‘ Windows+Q ’ and type CMD in the search bar.

• Right-click on the ‘ Command Prompt ’ and select ‘ Run as Administrator ’.

• A command prompt window appears. Type chkdsk X: /f where X is the hard drive or any other media storage device letter connected to your system. Alternatively, you can type chkdsk X: /F /X /R for the rigorous scanning and repairing.

• Hit the ‘Enter’ button and wait until ‘ chkdsk ’ utility repairs the disk errors.

After CHKDSK completes error checking, re-connect storage media to the system and then try to access it from File Explorer. If you are able to access the data without any error; immediately copy data from it to a safe location on your system and format the hard drive or any other storage media via Disk Management tool.

1 Like

Thanks you.

Same here, just bought a new one today and transferred some photos and videos from my laptop to it. I noticed that some of the files cannot be transferred as it says it can’t be read from the location. so I removed the HD and restarted the laptop. but when I connected it back it gave me that CRC issue.
Running chkdsk now and it is giving a lot of File record segment XXX is unreadable. Is it still safe to use the HD after the chkdsk?

Hi Kaali,

Now i have the exact same problem, were you able to retrieve your data in this way? Is the problem solved? Because I have very important data for me and I don’t want to lose it.

Thanks in advance

I know tis is an old thread, but first one suggested by the search function and still seems to be valid.

Same issue here “hard drive is unallocated and not initialized” (brand new SSD 1TB Blue 3D Nand)
The proposed method via chkdsk will not work since a drive letter is only assigned after disk is initialized and partition allocated in Windows Disk Management (Control panel - create and format hard disk partitions).
Which always resulted in (cyclic redundancy) errors during the initialization.

A free tool like the AOMEI Partition Assistant (basic version) lets you rebuild MBR sector and do surface tests without drive letters or partitions assigned.
In the end, all was for naught and it even ‘shot’ 1 of my external drive enclosures.

Bought the drive of Lazada, only to find out that this drive is not covered under the 5 year warranty as advertised, since this drive was sold to OEM manufacturers in May this year and not meant for resale.

** Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) Error** indicates corruption of data. The CRC error occurs when there’s a bad spot on the media of your hard disk. The error message appears when a computer attempts to read data on a local drive, a network drive, an external hard drive, or any other media (CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray), and corruption or suspicious change is detected on the storage device or the network. At times, CRC Error interferes with simple functions, such as copying and pasting the files in a folder.

When the CRC error occurs, you may see the following prompts:

• F:\ is not accessible. Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
  • File _could not be accessed. Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
  • Cannot initialize disk. Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
  • Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
  • Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Reasons for Cyclic Redundancy Check Error

The CRC Error may occur due to the following reasons:

• Corruption of the registry.
  • Abrupt interruption in the installation of programs.
  • Misconfiguration of system files.
  • File sending errors.
  • Corruption of data in the system registry.
  • Cluttering on the hard disk.
  • Development of [bad sectors in the hard disk]
  • Bad network communications lead to packet errors.
  • Poor network wiring.
  • Faulty app or program installation.
  • Transmission losses.
  • Device accessing damaged data.

## How to Fix CRC Error?

There are a few easy fixes that you can use to resolve CRC Errors.

1. Simply restart the computer: This may fix a lot of problems, including the CRC Error.
  2. Reconnect the external drive: If the error appears while connecting an external storage device, remove the device and restart the computer. Attach the device again.
  3. Upgrade to the latest operating system: Updating the operating system (Windows or Mac OS) to the recent versions may fix a lot of data errors, including the CRC Error. It will also ensure the smooth functioning of the system.

Download the file again: If the error occurs while downloading a file or opening an email attachment, repeat the process of downloading. It’s possible that the CRC Error occurred because of a problem with the server or the network.

The above given are some quick fixes to resolve the issue. However, they may not always work. If these fixes do not work, follow the given methods to fix the CRC Error.

Method 1: Use CHKDSK Utility

To fix the CRC Error by using CHKDSK utility, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the drive you want to check.
  • Click on ‘Properties’.
  • Select the ‘Check’ option. This should appear in the ‘Tools’ menu.
  • A dialog box will pop up. Select from the two options: ‘Automatically fix file system errors’ or ‘Scan for an attempted recovery of bad sectors’.
  • Click on ‘Start’ to begin the scan.
  • The scan will try to fix the CRC Errors.

This method may not work in two instances: If there are too many errors or the error is too large to fix. In such cases, the scan may get stuck or take too much time.

The system will prompt you with these messages:

• You don’t need to scan this drive.
  • We have not found any errors on this drive.

In such a situation, use the Command Prompt to run the CHKDSK utility. Follow these steps to do so:

• Avail Administrator rights of the system.
  • Go to the Start menu. Click ‘Run’.
  • Type ‘cmd’ and press ‘Enter’.
  • Type in the command ‘chkdsk /fx:’ where x is the letter of the drive you want to check. This is the basic scan.
  • You can also run an advanced scan. Type ‘chkdsk/r x:’ to do so. ‘X’ is the letter of the drive you want to check.
  • Wait for the scan to complete.
  • Restart the computer. Try to access the drive now.

NOTE : The advanced scan may take some time to complete.

Method 2: Run System File Checker

The system file checker finds the corrupted or damaged files and replaces them with new ones. This is useful for external storage devices, such as hard drives and SD cards. To run SFC Scan, follow these steps:

• Connect the storage device to the system.
  • Go to the search option through the ‘Start’ menu.
  • Type run and click on the ‘Run’ app to open it. Type ‘cmd’ and press ‘Enter’. This will open the command prompt.
  • In the command prompt, type ‘sfc /scannow’. Press ‘Enter’.
  • This will start the scan.
  • Wait for the scan to complete.
  • Restart your computer and try to access the storage device.
1 Like

That is great information, it takes almost 3 hours to run chkdsk g: /F /X /R
g:(my drive letter currently) and I’m on the 3 attempt. thanks for clarifying their are extras steps.

1 Like

If you have time, when i plugged the drive in, I feared that it was a virus/trojan or other because the light blinked rapidly as if it was running /accessing fiercely. I could not do anything. How would one know where to go to make it STOP and wait so I can fix it. Is that possible. I looked at the tabs in taskmgr, wasnt sure which to stop.
thanks

1 Like

I had all my kids pictures on my WD elements must have used it less than 20 times and I cant even initialize, same error. Has anyone got a solution? 2nd HDD that has failed. I have a Samsung HDD that I use for for my old xbox one that has been through hell and back with kids 8 years ago and it still works. WD elements was in perfect working order and kept safe in my drawer. I wish I never used it all my kids photos :sob: