CPU Spike at 100%

First off - thanks for all the help so far! It is deeply appreciated.

Unfortunately, I have run out of time. Need to catch a flight tonight so things are going to have to wait until I get back.

Most of my data is transferred off of the EX4. Only about 1 TB left to go but… with the slowwww xfer speeds it is taking quite a long time. 

EX4 is still acting funny. The system restore actually made things worse in some cases. So, the best I think I can do is to get everything off. Wipe it out and start over.

Will post back with results.

Thanks!

Rob

okay … back from London. Was gone for 5 days with less than 1 TB of data remaining on my EX4. Of that, only about 6k pictures / videos. Most high res off of my Canon cameras… anyway…

CPU still @ 87-100% perpetually. 

Out of ideas so I’m transferring everything back and seeing what happens when I start over… 

That’s just bizarre.  I can’t imagine what it’s doing for so long, either.

Hi Tony,

Yeah, something seems to be out of sorts. I’ll start from scratch to see if it changes things up.

Any suggestions? Should I reformat the drives? Or, would I be okay just deleting everything?

Something I did notice is that one of the shares I deleted shows up when I explore the EX4 from windows but NOT from the dashboard. 

Anyway - open to all suggestions!

• Rob

For the three weeks mine was here, the unit was at or near 100% CPU every time I went into the interface. This certainly didn’t seem right for something that you would leave on permanently . Our low spec work PCs do this when its times for virus and patch level checking. But things return to normal as soon as these processes have finished.

Thanks for the info - I think it is comforting! You say for the “three weeks it was here” - did you get rid of it or is everthing now good?

I appreciate the feedback!

Back again folks… and this time with some progress!

So, I finally _ _had time to transfer all of my data back off of the EX4 and decided to try a system reset as has been suggested here and by WD support (yes - they got in touch with me about a week ago). I was on a short trip and now that I’m back, I can try to troubleshoot this thing.

Here are the steps I trudged through so far today:

1. Deleted all remaining transferred files (I copied this time instead of moved since I lost my local HDD during my last bout of trying to get the EX4 running smoothly)

2. Cleared the “recycle bin” on the EX4

3. Performed a system reset. Result: NG … still had consistently high CPU usage with the unlzma process gobbling up huge chunks of CPU power. Anywhere from 20 to 60% at times.

4. Decided to try converting from RAID 5 to RAID 1. Didn’t take too long but ultimately not where I want to be. I’d prefer to be at RAID 5 but this is just a test.

Results so far: GOOD    HDD lights aren’t perpetually blinking, CPU uitilization is hovering near 0 with occasion spikes (to be expected), and the unlzma process has calmed down. It does show up on occasion but with only about 1% utilization.

So… now I’ll head back over to RAID 5 and see what happens. Hopefully these results stick.

Be back soon with some info.

• Rob

Forgot the proof :wink:   Tony - is this more along what you’d expect to see?

Okay - converted back to RAID 5. Things are still looking pretty good. Hovered mostly down towards zero with occasional 100% spikes which again, I believe is normal.

Transferring over a 20gb backup file now. Write speeds are far better than I had in the past (abouti 25MB/s) and the CPU activity seems to be more in line with what I would expect (reminder: I’m far from expert).

The CPU is jumping as the data is being transferred which makes sense. The CPU is no longer pinned near 100 though … so I am hopeful!

There may be a satisfying ending to this whole thing after all.

I should note - the EX4 was configured for RAID 5 when I received the product. Drives were installed. Does this sound normal? 

Mine was driveless, and I reset the box countless times early on. So I’m not sure if the already-built boxes would behave differently.

Got it… thanks! Maybe something was funky with the install prior to my receiving the unit. Who knows?!?

Well - so far everything looks about as normal as I would expect. After large transfers the CPU calms down to almost no activity. 

I’m going to go ahead and slowly transfer things over to see how she reacts. If I don’t post back then everything is good-to-go!

Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

You say for the “three weeks it was here” - did you get rid of it or is everything now good? I was rapidly losing confidence in the device and so got Amazon to pick it up and refund me. Not where I want to be but I’ll investigate this market again in a couple of years.

Understood - thanks again for your input!

I just wanted to let you guys know that this issue has been escalated for a few weeks now, and we are working on a fix for it.

Great.  Glad to hear that WD is addressing this “product-killer” issue and we can expect an update soon. 

I have tried all the “fixes” presented here and have reset the device to factory default ad-nauseum with no measureable effect on the CPU utilization issue. 

With no coherent or otherwise tangible response from WD on this issue, I am readying myself for the RMA fight I’m sure to endure.  It has been a little over a month since I received the blasted thing and I may be beyond my rights to return the slow-beast.

I’ll also be following up at New Egg and elsewhere with my customer product review where I’m sure I’ll join others who are also stymied by this poorly engineered or at the least, poorly QA’d product. 

FWIW, I’d like the ability to stop unnecessary services such as wdphotomerger.   It doesn’t seem unreasonable. 

BTW - I have no intention of using the device to stream media or otherwise act as a media server.  I want it as a network accessible, safe, raid configured repository of files, some of which happen to be photos or other media.

A note to WD, if you insist on including the “gee-whiz” media-streaming or advanced cloud access features, you may want to use a multi-core processor or at least provide a way to turn off the bloat that comes along with these bells and whistles. 

Basic product QA should have ensured the device was engineered in a fail-safe way for the end-user to maintain at least the core functionality.  (eg: The device is reachable via the network and basic file i/o or administrative console access is not de-prioritized for some crappy thumbnail conversion service.)   

I’m dealing with this same issue, I have followed the reset change to RAID 1 and back to RAID 5 system ran for about 2 days then when back to near 100% and no access to the Dashboard again.  So I hope there is a cure. I sure didn’t have this kind of problem with the NAS 440 although it doesn’t do  do all the activities the My Cloud EX4 does…

Mem: 501116K used, 5768K free, 0K shrd, 17212K buff, 315692K cached
CPU: 89.4% usr  9.9% sys  0.0% nic  0.0% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.5% sirq
Load average: 8.16 8.03 5.44 8/131 14137
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
 9597  3030 root     R    36140  7.1   0      16.1 php-fpm: pool www
10221  3030 root     R    36108  7.1   0     16.1 php-fpm: pool www
10094  3030 root     R    36108  7.1   0     15.9 php-fpm: pool www
 8821  3030 root     R    36140  7.1   0      15.5 php-fpm: pool www
 8486  3030 root     R    36140  7.1   0      14.9 php-fpm: pool www
 3580        1 root     S    38384  7.5   0      14.3 /usr/local/wdmcserver/bin/wdmcserver -v:/tmp/Volumes.xml

As Bill wrote above WD is working on it.

It is either a faulty process, or a very poorly written one.

I have NOTHING enabled, and only useing as a file server as listed in another thread.  Some have had successes resetting the thing to death, but the bottom line remains it will come back until WD fixes it.

Mine took just under 14 days to complete this time.  It happened to me before, but as soon as I added more data it began again.

After my 2 hour session with Level 2 yesterday and daily emails for several weeks:

I think my next effort will be contact Amazon and get a return. 22 days is long enough I have other things to do.

I have no warm feeling that this is a useful and secure place to put my data. I have a Seagate NAS 440 that has ran of 1.5 years flawlessly it just isn’t a Cloud device but GREAT for storage and FTP access. Media server is a bit clunky but can be made to work… WD had the sizzle but guess no meat just bone and fat.

22 days is indeed a long time.

I had issues in the beginning, after about 12 days I decided to try my own remedy - since nothing was working. 

Unlike what is posted above, I didn’t “reset it to death” but, here is what worked in my case. Keep in mind, I’m not saying you should have to do this and I too was very annoyed… especially since I had lost some data during my transfers back and forth (had a local drive fail on my PC). 

ANYWAY … I pulled everything off. It was going to have to happen if I returned it anyway. Since I had all data off and nothing else to lose except for a trip to UPS I gave it a go. I decided to convert to a different raid mode and then back to RAID 5. 

After that, it was fine. Transferred 2 TB (with a ton of photos). It did take a little over 2 days to finish the converions but then it went to sleep. Standby mode was finally happening. 

Why? No clue. I did receive the NAS with the drives installed and ready to go. 

So basically, I started over. Again, not saying that this is okay but I wanted to keep the friggin’ thing since I kinda’ liked it.

1 reset, 2 reformats and I was good-to-go. Not sure it will work for everyone.

Since then my 500 errors went away. Dash has been fine. Etc… Maybe I’m one of the lucky ones. Don’t know… what I do know is what ended up working for me (after quite a bit of initial frustration).

Hope this helps someone out there…

Here’s my CPU in standby:

now.jpg

By the way - I do have everything turned on. Media, cloud, etc… 

Very strange that the symptoms seem so random.