CPU Spike at 100%

My EX4 CPU has been running between 90% - 100% since two days after Xmas 2013 with I copied over 3TBs of data. This, with no streaming services on, nor any apps installed. Even in the middle of the night, with NO computers or devices connected, I can still here the HD grinding away. WD cannot tell me what it is doing, or how to calm it down and stop grinding away.

THIS CANT BE GOOD FOR DATA RELIABILITY.

Has someone…anyone…figured out whats going on with the perpetual disk access?

did you check in the dashboard what the processes are that are consuming top cpu resources, assuming you can access dashboard.

I checked after waiting for about 2 minutes for the screen to refresh.

WDMCSERVER seems to be the  CPU process hog.

On a side/another note, I noticed a new process called SOCIAL running now. I have no idea what that is.

When are we going to see some relief on this with a firmware update?

Yes, its been over a month after it was mentioned in this forum that the issue has been escalated and a solution is in the works.

I would have hoped a firmware upgrade would have been ready to arrive just about now.

I was just informed that out of 9 users reporting this issue, only one responded to the private messages we sent out for more information. That person was K_K__.  As I understand it, our support personal was able to resolve the issue with K_K__'s drive.  Is that true? 

Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce this issue.  Therefore, in order to proceed with this, we will need to get logs from all the users that we’ve been trying to contact.  As I speak, a private message is being sent out to these users, below.  Please respond to the private message so that we can get more information.  If we don’t get the information, then most likely there will be nothing more that we can do.

flashfearless 

dogsbody 

chubapitdroid 

RobStach 

Patjade 

RK924 

handswithenergy 

TTYTT 

Chaos311  

I’m sorry this got dropped, and I want to thank EX4Shot for bringing this back up (and I’m looking into the other two you posted to as well). If there are other users with this issue that we missed, please let me know in this thread and we’ll contact you as well.

[EDIT]

After further research, I found that only four of the above didn’t respond to our request for more info: RK924, TTYTT, dogsbody, and flashfearless.  If any of get your pm’s could you please respond.

I also found that for 6 users, we were able to help them resolve their CPU spike issue.  However, as has been pointed out, it may be that some fixes may not work for everyone.  So, we are looking into this, but still needing some help.

Bill,

The story you are being told is not exactly accurate. 

I was contacted and I DID reply. The problem was that since my CPU behavior had fallen into line, I was not experiencing the issue any longer.

I also responded with details. So - whomever was in charge of gathering data didn’t quite get the story right. This bothers me mostly because it sounds like a cop-out. 

The stories are abundantly clear on this forum and they all have a common demoninators. It is easily replicated by trying to work with the device during high CPU utilization phases.

My story is clearly documented here as well as other people who have experienced this issue. 

If your R&D needs more then they certainly weren’t following up even though I offered.

I’d gladly help if it will help get a solution created for the folks that are still experiencing difficulties.

• R

After I posted I was made aware that several of the users listed above had been in touch with Support and their CPU issues were resolved.  I was waiting for one of my team to get me the list so that I could post them here.  You were one of them. 

What was done that helped resolve your CPU issue?  I heard it was by doing a reset.  Is that so?

Went back to my sent messages - if this isn’t a “response” I’m not sure what is…

Reply 1 to WD Support:

Hi Sam,

This must be in response to an issue I was having a while ago. Things have straightened out but I’d be glad to get you any info that you may need.

I can be reached @ xxx-xxx-xxxx, I am available until 10pm eastern … any day of the week. 

• Rob

Response from WD Support:

Thank you for your reply. I am glad that the issue has been resolved.

Regards,

Sam D.

Reply 2 to WD Support:

Sam I wouldn’t say resolved. I can recreate it by trying to access the dash when the CPU is taxed. I just don’t do that anymore.

Response from WD Support:

Got it. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Well, there were a few steps that I had to take to get the CPU issue in check.

1. After several weeks of waiting for it to settle down and losing some valuable data during a transfer back OFF of the NAS I bit the bullet and pulled all data off for a reset.

2. Reset didn’t help.

3. Reformat to RAID1 (If I remember correctly) and did  a small transfer of photos. CPU sprung into action and finished the conversion in an hour or so. Life was good.

4. Reforat back to RAID5 and try again. Good result. After LARGE transfers the CPU is indeed active for a while based on what was transferred but that is to be expected. Then it settles back down and hovers between 0 and 8%…

No problems since with abnormally long CPU spikes.

So, for me, the reformat worked.

FYI: Prior to the reformat there was a UNLZMA process that was running forever. On top of the conversion processes , etc… I think I let it go for 20 days before giving up.

Robstach,

Support is going to contact you.  The fact that you can replicate the issue is important.

Yeah … I may have mixed 2 issues in my response. The 500 error and the high CPU issue.

I can easily replicatie the 500 issue … the CPU utilization issue is another story. Not sure I can and I’m not sure I’d want to!

RobStach wrote:

Yeah … I may have mixed 2 issues in my response. The 500 error and the high CPU issue.

I can easily replicatie the 500 issue … the CPU utilization issue is another story. Not sure I can and I’m not sure I’d want to!

Let support know that.  I’m not sure where we are with the 500 error issue.  I’m waiting to hear.

@RobStach, I almost fell out of my chait laughing because this is the exact level of support I recieved on previous calls for another inquiry when they told me my waranty would be voided if I used a HD not on the whitepaper list!?  

It seems RobStach has a lot of the same issues as I do, so they must be related.  I pretty much gave up on this device too, and was returning it, but I fell ill and missed my return window and now I am **bleep** with it. (and its bugs)

The CPU utilization issue is easy to reproduce: Migrate/dump a BUNCH  (terabytes) of data onto this device via a network share and it will start bottoming out “converting” unknown… (since i am only using as a FS and NOTHING else that crazy)  I have 4 more TB to copy to this this, but I am scared to because each time this happens… DATA LOSS…  BIG feature on a archival device.

Also worth noting RESET or asking data archives to be reformatted… IS a cop out and not an acceptable fix.  You should be able to “copy data” to a “data sharing device” without having to reset it every time or format and start over.

EX4Shot wrote:

Also worth noting RESET or asking data archives to be reformatted… IS a cop out and not an acceptable fix.  You should be able to “copy data” to a “data sharing device” without having to reset it every time or format and start over.

No question about it.

Thanks Bill.  PS. Why was “stuck” **bleeped** out of my previous reply? 

EX4Shot wrote:

Thanks Bill.  PS. Why was “stuck” **bleeped** out of my previous reply? 

You might have left out the “t.” 

EX4Shot wrote:

It seems RobStach has a lot of the same issues as I do, so they must be related.  I pretty much gave up on this device too, and was returning it, but I fell ill and missed my return window and now I am **bleep** with it. (and its bugs)

The CPU utilization issue is easy to reproduce: Migrate/dump a BUNCH  (terabytes) of data onto this device via a network share and it will start bottoming out “converting” unknown… (since i am only using as a FS and NOTHING else that crazy)  I have 4 more TB to copy to this this, but I am scared to because each time this happens… DATA LOSS…  BIG feature on a archival device.

I agree - the problems are / were similar but let me be clear about a couple of things:

1. I had the CONVERT UNKNKOWN issue prior to reformatting too. So, it was sitting and converting something …forever. That has not occured since my reformat. Don’t know if there was corrupt data it was trying to convert or what. It was stuck though.

2. My conversion rates now (for MY purposes) are acceptable. I can transfer a BOAT LOAD of fairly high res photos at night and by mid-morning I get my email that the EX4 is back in standy mode. My typical conversions last about 5-7 seconds per photo. I do use media streaming and cloud services. Based on specs of the device - I feel that things are in line there.

3. My data loss occurred locally when my HDD quit during the transfer of data BACK to my PC. Not WD’s fault but I was moving that data back because my EX4 wasn’t making me feel good.

4. RESET did nothing for me. REFORMAT did. I chose to do this since I had data off anyway and I was curious what would happen.

Now, I’ve been up and running for over a month. My conversions are acceptable (no unknowns or weird decompression issues) and my transfer speeds are decent when the CPU isn’t crunching files.

So - I didn’t give up on the product but I did give up on trying to view the GUI while the CPU is busy. 

Am I satisified? Now I am but that initial hump had me worried.

RobStach wrote: > 1) I had the CONVERT UNKNKOWN issue prior to reformatting too. So, it was sitting and converting something …forever. That has not occured since my reformat. Don’t know if there was corrupt data it was trying to convert or what. It was stuck though.

1. My conversion rates now (for MY purposes) are acceptable. I can transfer a BOAT LOAD of fairly high res photos at night and by mid-morning I get my email that the EX4 is back in standy mode. My typical conversions last about 5-7 seconds per photo. I do use media streaming and cloud services. Based on specs of the device - I feel that things are in line there.

1. My data loss occurred locally when my HDD quit during the transfer of data BACK to my PC. Not WD’s fault but I was moving that data back because my EX4 wasn’t making me feel good.

1. RESET did nothing for me. REFORMAT did. I chose to do this since I had data off anyway and I was curious what would happen.

Now, I’ve been up and running for over a month. My conversions are acceptable (no unknowns or weird decompression issues) and my transfer speeds are decent when the CPU isn’t crunching files.

1.  I reiterate…  What is it converting.  I have nothing enabled.  (not sure if you do, but some what moot since I dont have anything and it still “converts”. ) Even stranger that a new format would not have the same issue unless the bug / process intermitently hangs.)  (which means it may come back again later in time)  If it was corrupt data or a bad HD sector, both would still be bad.  (corrupt file doesnt uncorrupt itself, and bad sectors dont heal.) ;]  Mine converted for litterally days as I posted in another thread.  But as per yours and as mine is now, it running “fair”.  (and I say fair because you can tell its a poorly witten process because the performance map looks like stalagtite heaven…  (0% to 100%, back and forth intermitently.  No middle ground) Its a poorly written process that maxs your cpu 100% on initiation and use.))

2. Define your boatload.  Couple hundred GBs or TBs?  100GB, and yes I would agree, it would take several hours equating to your morning.  I go back to a proorly written process even taking that many hours of 100% CPU just to recover from copying.  (a basic function) (and converting again.  converting what?)

3. You should be able to copy data TO and FROM a NAS.  RELIABLY.  Again WD quotes “Ultimate Reliability”.  Or do you consider your data now belongs to WD and you should not have been copying it off? ;]  (JK of course)  Or were you saying the HD on your desktop failed during the copy?  My data loss occurs most when I leave the device copying a TB of data or so, and it locks to the dreaded 500 interal error.  Takes several hours of file compare to determine where the unit locked and stopped the copying.

4. Some have reported resetting over and over worked, and for you the format.  I go back to saying RESET or REFORMAT is not acceptable for you to have done to have basic functionality repaired.  I go back again, and say wheather its a reset or a format, we are playing games with the flawed process only getting it to “behave” 1 out of 5 times.  And I on the other have have extreme patience and just let the thing convert for days and it settled itself out…  The days is again the problem, and converting what?

Im am also with you now that im “not using it” and it is just sitting there with data on it…  yes the HDs spin nicly doing nothing…  BUT, I fear putting any more load and finish coping the remaining 4TB of data I need on it so it doesnt lock up with the same issue.  Not to mention 4TB @ the paultry 20MBs…  Better get a sandwich or… 100…

To further your point of you giving up on features / GUI / etc, did you pay for a non working GUI?  Are you compensated for it not working?  How many hours did it take you to reformat and doi it all again?  Were you compensated for the product not working as advertised for simple functionality of a copy?  How many hours have you typed into this box trying to help the community and WD for that matter, troubleshoot thier product that does not work out of the box as advertised?..  (and then WD tells you, great, you fixed our problem on your own, please complete this survey to rate your support experience.  Was our support curtious and polite in only reading half of your response?) ;]

So I ask you again thinking back on all that.  Are you really satisfied?  (also considering you paid $350 for this " fun experience") ;]  (of course I hope you know this is also not directed at you, and moreso at WD.  Im simply making a point of a extremely poor cutomer experience and the result of us all “setteling” for a substandard product.)

EX4Shot has left the soapbox!..

1.  Just like the Cloud NAS (Single-disk box), the Convert process is transcoding media to pull thumbnails used for the WD My Cloud app.

Unfortunately, it appears that even if you don’t enable Remote Access, the Convert process runs anyway.