CPU Spike at 100%

Rob,

Can you provide a screenshot of the output of the “top” command while this is going on?

Please make the terminal window wide enough to get the full command lines on the right side.

EDIT:  I just timed mine – it’s averaging about 7-10 seconds per 12 megapixel photo.

RobStach wrote:

While I am at it…

I see that another manufacturer provides desktop software that will offload the CPU intensive processes (like generating thumbs) to the PC prior to or during upload (not sure which).

Does WD offer anything liket that? Sure seems like it would be a tremendous help from an efficiency standpoint.

I believe you were referring to the “Photo Station Uploader” from Synology:

http://www.synology.com/en-global/releaseNote/tool/Photo%20Station%20Uploader

Would love to see something similar from WD for EX4 platform.

Hey tony - I wish I could right now!

My concern about the ever-spinning WD hdds prompted me to move my data back to the PC so I could restore the WD to factory. Well… as luck would have it, the HDD on my PC crashed.

Backed up a couple of days ago but I do believe I lost some of the data that I had stored on the WD only. My own fault I guess…

Anyway - Acronis is working on it now.

In your post - are you referring to SSH? If so, I have no clue how to use it! Doesn’t mean I am not capable… just never had to use it before.

From what I have read there is a utility called Putty … is this what I need?

I’m leaving on a business trip tomorrow so this is realllllly bad timing  :)   Trying to get my PC back at a minimum.

Bad day … bad day!

Yep - that’s exactly what I was referring to. Would be a great utility to have.

RobStach wrote:

Bad day … bad day!

WRONG!   You have backups.   GOOD GOOD day.  :)

and don’t worry – it can wait.   If the factory restore fixes it, then, well, it’s fixed.  If not, the problem is easy for you to reproduce.

Yes, PuTTY is what you want.  

Enable SSH in the EX4’s configuration and configure and save the password. 

In PuTTY, Just stay with all the defaults, type in the IP address of the NAS in the address field and connect, type “sshd” for the user, and the password you gave it.

When at the # prompt, just execute 

Whatever’s eating your CPU will be at the top of the list.

So very true! Well - I got my PC back… most of it anyway. Typing this from it now. 

Anyway - thanks again for being so helpful. It is really appreciated!

Okay - finally figured out putty. It didn’t want to take my password at first.

Did a factory reset of the settings. Not much help … CPU still churning but townky and media serving are back on.

And here’s the PUTTY shot …  any thoughts?

Is your firmware up to date?

Yes sir - updated last week (12/31 I think…)

And now when I click on “media” it shows that I have 0 pictures, movies, or music. This is not the case!

Tried rescan and rebuild but to no avail.

:angry:

Ok, paint me compleletely perplexed.

Your TOP report shows unlzma/0 process eating up 25% your CPU.

That’s a decompression program. I have no idea what it’d be doing…

The other processes are the wdmc server process and the web GUI processes.

Weird!

Moving data off of the NAS now. 

Do you think that perhaps a reformat and reset could do the trick? Guess it cannot hurt.

I have 8 hours til’ I fly … hope I can git’ r’ done!

Before you do that, check the top report again.   Some of that stuff may have been happening since you had recently reset it.

Also, do the TOP report without having any webpages open to the UI.

I’m one step ahead of you!

1. TOP is showing unlzma running anywhere from 22-36% of my CPU

2. No web pages open (can’t anyway because it has a 500 internal server error going on)

3. 4x php-fpm pool www processes open. Why? no clue. – by the way , I noticed these on day 2 or 3 of owning this thing via the processes tab in the web interface.

Once this xfer finishes up (moving to a mybook live) I’ll restart the WD EX4 and see what happens.

It’s normal for the php-fpm processes to be running, but they should be very low CPU unless something is actually accessing the GUI or file services of the EX4.

On mine, right after I reboot it, unlzma runs about 60-90% CPU, but only for about 1-2 minutes, then it drops to zero.

Three minutes after boot, my TOP report headers show:

Mem: 305536K used, 201348K free, 0K shrd, 23652K buff, 158508K cached
CPU: 0.1% usr 0.1% sys 0.0% nic 99.6% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq
Load average: 0.61 0.67 0.28 2/176 4879

CPU is 99.6% idle; meaning only 0.4% busy.

Hmmm… that’s how I would expect mine to behave. But no such luck.

The php processes are indeed taking up very little CPU - roughly 6%. But there are 4 of them…

EDIT: I lied … they dropped from 6% to roughly .8 or 0 at times

I think a complete reset is in order once I get the data off. Then, with no data, if it is still acting like this we know that something is up correct?

Can you think of anything that would activate this process? I did drop a folder of zipped files on a while ago but I would be surprised if that was the root cause.

Will see what happens on reboot!

I believe you could reset the device without losing data that is already on the disks.

WD support should be able to confirm that (I think in one of the other posts, it was mentioned this as confirmed by support).

WD Support did indeed contact me last night and suggested the same thing - a system reset without loss of data.

I did perform that procedure and this is where we sit today. 

There was a side-effect of the device no longer knowing what sort of media I have stored. Not sure if that cleared itself up - will check once I can reboot due to the Internal Server Error (500).

While it is frustrating and time-consuming, at least I am learning something from it all!

Thanks KK!

What would be easier is if someone can figure out how to restart the http service on the device without powering it down.

if there is a script or set of commands that can be run at the SSH prompt to restart the http service, it would be easier than having to powerdown the device and start it again to gain dashboard access.

Don’t know if support would be willing to provide that info considering they frown upon accessing the device via SSH.

That would be an incredible help!