Connect second network pc to mycloud

How do I connect a second pc on my network to mycloud?

How did you connect your first PC to the MyCloud? With both devices connected to your router, I hope? Not by connecting the PC directly to the MyCloud with an ethernet cable…

Connect both PCs to your router, using Cat5e or Cat6 cables.
Connect the MyCloud to your router, using a Cat5e or Cat6 cable.
Then map the MyCloud into the PCs’ file systems (see p23 of the User Manual).

I did set up mycloud as you suggested. I read the users manual [pg 23 ] and it appears that I have to install synch s/w on the other pc. This is fine. My concern is that I don’t want both pc’s to have the same files on them. I just want the ability of each pc to back itself up on the mycloud device. I hope that is what will happen By the way, I am using XP ser pk 3.

I read the users manual [pg 23 ] and it appears that I have to install synch s/w on the other pc

Sync software to do what? You don’t need any sync software just to access the disk like you would any other hard disk or USB drive.

If you want to sync devices, the sync software running on each PC should identify itself uniquely so that it only syncs ‘its own files’. Or there’s probably an option to do multi-device sync; you want to disable that.

There are alternative sync software tools; you don’t have to use WD’s Sync App.

I use FreeFileSync as a backup tool. It supports mirroring (one-way master:slave backup) and sync (peer:peer backup, synchronising the latest). It also has a continuous sync mode.

My second pc does not recognize the mycloud on the network. I would just like the smartware to recognize the second pc and allow auto back-ups. I guess using XP is a disadvantage, although it works fine on my pc.

[quote=“solmon, post:5, topic:138783, full:true”]
I would just like the smartware to recognize the second pc and allow auto back-ups.[/quote]
Did you install the smarttware software on the second pc? If not, install smartware to the second computer and you can backup the second pc to the My Cloud with smartware.

Smartware will create a separate folder under the My Cloud Smartware folder for each computer that is backed up using smartware.

Yes, I just figured that out and performed the smartware install. I had to de-install it and re-install again. It seems to require these extra steps on machines with XP. It appears we are good, and I thank you for your help.