Clone NAS hard drive to SSD

I think perhaps I need to do a total RESET on this thread with the question becoming how to partition and format the 120GB SSD so that it is suitable as a direct replacement for the 2TB HDD in the MyCloud enclosure. All indication are that trying to clone the 2TB to a 256GB device is a lesson in futility. (The 2TB MyCloud is right out of the box so there’s nothing on it to preserve.)

If my thinking is appropriate to the task please advise accordingly.

Thanks,
Bill

I’ve been reading this discussion and wondering why one doesn’t simply do an “unbrick” on the SSD drive so it is setup as a single bay My Cloud drive (with the proper firmware) then simply connect the My Cloud hard drive to the PC (running Linux) and copy the data over to the SSD drive’s My Cloud data partition (that is also connected to that same Linux PC).

User Fox_Exe has unbricking guides for both single bay My Cloud versions that many have used. They include partitioning of the drive to take the My Cloud firmware. Note that the first gen and second gen unbrick procedure are not the same so make sure to use the right version.

First gen v3.x/v4.x P/N -00 single bay My Cloud:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVbzZac0plbkZKeGM/view

Second gen v2.x P/N -10 single bay My Cloud:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVQVhnLVJOdDZISUU/view

Edit to add: There might be more work involved, like fixing any “Share” permission issues after copying the data from the existing My Cloud hard drive to the new SSD drive but I assume there are workarounds since one may be using Linux when copying the files.

Because we have a valid source disk, and the user wont have to download nearly a gigabyte of data?

:stuck_out_tongue:

If you know what disks are what (again, "hdparm -i /dev/[device] will identify the device for you. It will list a nice verbose output of what that drive’s serial number is, what its size is, etc.) you can use the previous information to get the copy going.

To re-create partition 4, since you have debian installed, just use gparted to re-create it. gparted is a nice GUI partitioning program, and it knows how to deal with GPT.

lstblk identified the 3 drives that were of interest. sda=debian; sdb=MyCloud drive and sdc=120GB target of the clone scenario shown in post #58. Given that that failed the posts #62 and #63 are leaving me just as confused as ever. I have no idea of what a brick is other than a holder of 50 rounds of ammunition for a firearm… :pensive: If the clone scenario root line commands are wrong then I’m clueless as how to proceed.

Is there firmware stored on the HDD? That would be a first for me. I would have assumed an eram on the MyCloud circuit board.

in tech circles, a “brick” (and or, “paper weight”) is a device that no longer functions. “De-Bricking” is a process for turning a device that no longer functions (again, “a brick”) into a device that functions again.

The instructions cited prior by Bennor are for people that do not have a functioning disk in their mycloud unit. (say, it fell off the shelf and hit really hard, or some other calamity.) It contains the basic data to restore a mycloud to function with a bare disk drive and a little linux savvy.

In your case, we have a functioning disk drive. You have identified that in your test rig, it has the /dev/sdb device ID.

So, filling in the blanks here, and re-using the instructions I posted several replies up-- this is what needs to be issued from the command line (as a root user!!)

sudo su
dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4096 count=2560
partx -u /dev/sdc
dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=4096
dd if=/dev/sdb2 of=/dev/sdc2 bs=4096
dd if=/dev/sdb3 of=/dev/sdc3 bs=4096
dd if=/dev/sdb5 of=/dev/sdc5 bs=4096
dd if=/dev/sdb6 of=/dev/sdc6 bs=4096
dd if=/dev/sdb7 of=/dev/sdc7 bs=4096
dd if=/dev/sdb8 of=/dev/sdc8 bs=4096

then use gparted to delete partition 2 on /dev/sdc, re-create partition 2 on /dev/sdc (using all remaining disk space), and format partition 2 on /dev/sdc as ext4.

I’ll give it another “go” this afternoon. You wrote:

“then use gparted to delete partition 2 on /dev/sdc, re-create partition 2 on /dev/sdc (using all remaining disk space), and format partition 2 on /dev/sdc as ext4.”

What is the specific line command(s) to take care of partition 2? And, what happens to partition #4?

Never thought of a brick as being something that doesn’t function, like used as building blocks and the like, I guess I’ve just been “out of the loop” for a long time.

I need to ask why are you trying to replace a 2TB disk with a 250GB SSD? Too me
that is like replacing a 6 cylinder engine with a lawnmower engine.

Ah yes, not an unreasonable question. Think low capacity needs with high speed through a 10GBps switch on the LAN. I just happened to have a new 2TB MyCloud on hand and no need for any additional storage beyond the tons I already have.

You may have a 10GBps switch. But the My Cloud is 1GBps. Better to put the SSD in the PC.

I will give that some thought. There are some physical security considerations with the placement of the enclosure as well with this app but perhaps the biggest bottleneck might be the need to replace some Ethernet cabling from 5e to 7.

Besides, just look at the fun I’m having with my very first venture into the world of Linux. I’ve already learned about bricks and what “distro” means:grinning::grinning:

Replacing the cable will not make the My Cloud transfer faster.

No, I realize that. Your point about the 1GBsp through the MyCloud didn’t fall on deaf ears.

BTW, Wierd_w isn’t usually around until much later this evening to answer my question in post #65 from earlier this morning. Do you know the answer to my question? I’d like to see if I can wrap-up this caper this PM.

What are you really trying to do? Be specific.

Just provide quick access to a relational DB via SQL selects available on the LAN without any direct dependencies on any of the computers on the LAN. Also, I can physically situate the enclosure best suited to quick retrieval in case of emergency. Take a look at the Carr fire in currently burning in Redding CA . I’m about 80 air miles from Redding in the forest. In these parts we keep what are fondly referred to a “Go Bags”. My two LAN storage enclosures get picked up in a hurry and out the door we go.

Holy ■■■■. Never post instructions when dead ass tired!

Should be PARTITION 4, not partition 2!! This is a gen1 mycloud!

My bad!!

About the only reason I can concieve of for wanting to put a small SSD in, instead of the much more spacious HDD, is “hazardous environment”. (EG, area is routinely hot-- or, area is subjected to high acoustic shock/noise)

RAC8006 is correct though, speed is not a valid reason. You can only get 1gbit out of this unit.

With all the time the OP is spending trying to “clone” the 2TB hard drive to a 250GB SSD drive I have to wonder if it wouldn’t have been faster (even when downloading a gigabit of data) to simply use the unbrick process (if done right takes less than half an hour) then copy over the files.

The copy process would probably be even faster if one is using a desktop PC with spare SATA ports where one could connect both the My Cloud hard drive and the SSD drive direct to SATA ports/cables.

Last time I swapped out a hard drive on a first gen enclosure it took about 20 minutes to partition the drive and push the correct unbricking files to get the drive up and running within the My Cloud enclosure so the data partition was properly resized to the full capacity of the drive. Then removed the drive from the enclosure and spend an additional hour or two copying the data from the old drive to the new one via SATA ports on a desktop PC. YMMV. :laughing:

1 Like

How big is the database? Can the database be located on the PC. With a backup copy on the My Cloud. That way you can still pick up and go fast. Also the database access would be the fastest.

Most of the issue with this user’s experience is that they are linux-naive, which would still have been an issue with unbrick.

True but the Fox_Exe directions are pretty straight forward for even a Linux noob.

In any event it will be interesting to see what speeds the OP gets using an SSD drive in the enclosure. I’ve always wondered if the enclosure backplane SATA hardware is a potentially limiting factor (in addition to the hard drive transfer speed) beyond the 1 G network port.