Clone NAS hard drive to SSD

Hope you were able to catch some sleep.

I know you’re talking about partition 4 but what is/are the specific root line commands to do the formatting?

gparted can do the formatting too. :stuck_out_tongue:
Just right click on the partition you want to format, and pick the appropriate option in the context menu.

BUT-- If you WANT to format using the commandline:

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc4

or

mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sdc4

The first is just a wrapper for the second, and may or may not be present. The second should always be present if ext4 support is in the kernel, and I cannot imagine modern debian without it.

Needs to be executed as root, or with sudo.

I’ll run the partitioning scenario followed by your gparted suggestion in a little bit and post the results.

One quick question about partition #4. You’ve previously mentioned deleting #4 and then formatting it. However, the scenario (creation commands) omitted #4 so my assumption has been that it gets created when commands to format are executed. That, of course, leaves me the question about deleting as an explicit step in the process?

Below is the terminal for my latest attempt. The three discs can be seen as expected, sdb is the MyCloud HDD and sdc the SSD. As can be seen, debian distro is lacking sudo but a simple “su” gets me logged into the root.

dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4096 count=2560 (OKAY)
partx -u /dev/sdc (DIDN’T SEEM OKAY - continued anyway)

dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=4096 (OKAY)
dd if=/dev/sdb2 of=/dev/sdc2 bs=4096 (NO SPACE LEFT ON DEVICE)
[same message for partitions 3, 5, 6, 7 & 8)

Futile, of course, an attempt to format partition 4. (Just to see what it would do)

If you look at the lsblk the /dev/sdc does not have multiple
partitions.

That is correct. The SSD is an empty disc right out of the box with a single partition. Probably formatted NTFS were I to have look from the Windows side. I believe that Wierd_w was aware of that from the very start.

If the SSD is supposed to already have 8 partitions at the start this would be the first time I’d been made aware of that. Moreover, who would have made such an assumption to begin with.

It is not suppose to be that way from the start. If you followed the unbricking procedure.
You would have created the correct number of partitions.

At this point, I agree. Manually create the partitions in the appropriate sizes. You can then do the dd thing.

For some reason partx is not updating the partitions available on /dev/sdc

Sorry gentlemen, this really ■■■■■! While I truly appreciate all of your attempts to help with this caper, I’m first essentially told that I don’t have a “brick” and that there are linux root commands that will allow me to clone my “non-brick” MyCloud to the SDD. Having run the “cloning” scenario twice already without any success to speak of I’m now essentially instructed to run the “un-bricking” procedure. I’ll do that in the AM but still don’t know what I have if that’s successful. What am I doing? un-bricking the SSD?

Your problem:
Partition structure is not being created on the SSD/ and or/ partx is not getting the partition map updated to the kernel.

Proposed fix:
Use the guide for de-bricking to manually create the partition structure, because “damnit, WTF!?”

Once the partitions are created (manually), the dd process will work.

De-brick the SSD?

One can use what we call the “unbrick” process on a brand new drive. The term “unbrick” as used in this subforum is just a catch all term for starting from scratch when one cannot boot a drive in the My Cloud enclosure or when replacing the My Cloud drive with a different hard drive. All one is doing with the “unbrick” process is configuring the drive to have the proper partitions (in proper formats) and then pushing the My Cloud firmware to the drive.

Like indicated above, one can typically “unbrick” a first gen in under half an hour. Not sure how long it takes on a second gen as I don’t have one. I’ve used several different hard drives within a first gen My Cloud enclosure. Generally what it is advisable to do, with a first gen, is to perform the unbrick steps, then boot the drive in the enclosure (and perform a 40 second reset) so the firmware properly resizes the drive, Then one could (if they wanted) power down the drive, remove it from the enclosure and attach it to a PC’s SATA port to copy data at a faster rate via the PC’s SATA ports and proceed to copy user data from the old My Cloud drive to the new SSD drive. One would copy the user data to partition #4 if I remember correctly (off hand).

I’ve used the first gen unbrick process on a 250GB drive (several times), a 1TB drive, and finally an 8TB drive. All drives worked fine after the unbrick process (once I typed it correctly :laughing:) in the My Cloud enclosure.

Fox_exe’s directions posted again:
First gen v4.x Replace HDD - English: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVbzZac0plbkZKeGM/view

Second gen v2.x Unbricking English: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVQVhnLVJOdDZISUU/view

One can use any number of Linux boot/live cd disc distro’s to boot their PC to perform the various unbricking steps. I typically use Ubuntu.

I’m successful in all steps within the un-bricking scenario until the last command in the following sequence:

1. Use fdisk -l (or parted -l) for see what name have you WD’s HDD.
  • For me - its /dev/sdb. Replace it to your hdd name!
  1. Run parted utility:
    parted /dev/sdb

2. Type “print” for see what partitions exist on disk

3. Remove all: Type “remove 1” (where 1 - number of partition)

4. Crete new table:
    mklabel gpt
    mkpart primary 528M 2576M
    mkpart primary 2576M 4624M
    mkpart primary 16M 528M
    mkpart primary 4828M 100%
    mkpart primary 4624M 4724M
    Error: Can’t create any more partitions.

I did up the size of the SSD to 256GB so I have no clue what the problem is with the script of commands issued other than the previous command that stipulated 100%? Shouldn’t #4 be done last when 100% is stipulated? If so, I can rm 4 and then allocate partitions 5, 6, 7 & 8 and then #4. If I can do that, I need a different command syntax for the mkpart command that specifies the partition number?

At the time of the error:
Part 1 1.9G
Part 2 1.9G
Part 3 489M
Part 4 228.4G

At least that explains why there’s no room left.

First, do you have a first gen unit or a second gen unit? May have been mentioned previously but I missed it in the 90 plus posts in this discussion. If you don’t know check the P/N number on the bottom of the single bay My Cloud enclosure. First gen P/N number ends with -00, second gen P/N ends with -10.

Make sure if you haven’t already that all partitions are removed at step 2,3 and 4 before creating the new partitions. Not sure if using an SSD is the problem over a standard mechanical drive. As a troubleshooting step one could format the SSD drive for use in Windows (by using Windows to create a single partition for the entire drive and format that single partition), then step through the various steps in the unbrick guide for your device generation and see if that fixes the issue.

I was aware of the 1st generation distinction and followed accordingly. I am sure that all previous partitions were in fact deleted in the preceding steps. And yes, I had the foresight to format a single partition on the SSD in Windows before I started using FAT32. Maybe I could try formatting the entire SSD in Linux with EXT4 first? If you think that idea would be a useful exercise what’s the command to do that? mkpart primary 0M 100%?

Couldn’t hurt to try formatting the entire drive as GPT and EXT4 then removing the partition as instructed in the unbrick instructions.

Another suggestion is if you have a spare mechanical hard drive, try unbricking that one and see if you have the same problem.

You wrote " try formatting the entire drive as GPT and EXT4".

What's the command line instruction to do that?

After I do that I'll attempt the unbricking again.

If that again fails, I'll try to un-brick a spare HDD

to see if that also fails.

Probably can't try all of this until Friday AM.

Bill

If you are running linux, just open Gparted and partition the drive with one single partition. I think, if I remember right, Gparted will (perhaps its an option) create the drive in GPT format not MBR.

It’s an option, under the “device” menu, called “create partition table”. It will give you the choice of what kind of partition table to create. Choose GPT. :stuck_out_tongue:

Creating partitions with gparted is pretty straight forward as well. It will even format them for you.

Making some progress.
Got to step 10 in the de-bricking process:
wget “https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVQ2l5MTNvQk1xSUU
Error 404: Not Found

And,
wget “https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVcENERjVxVHFzZzg
Error 404: Not Found

I have no idea where to go from here?