Clone NAS hard drive to SSD

I a WDBCTL0020HWT with which I’d like to replace the hard drive with an SSD. Does WD have a utility I can download to clone the NAS to an SSD?

Just use dd.

If you have the patience, here is what I would do:

1. Turn off cloud access. (this also turns off the thumbnail image generator/scanner, which scribbles on the disk constantly.)
  2. STOP TONKY. Again, it scribbles all over the disk
  3. Stop any and all fileshare services. We want the disk to be as quiescent as possible.
  4. Attach your SSD to a SATA->USB adapter and connect it to the mycloud.
  5. Use the console to unmount the volume if the automounter mounted it.
  6. Use dd to copy the internal disk (SDA) to the USB attached SSD (SDB) eg:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4096
  7. No, it did not hang. dd just does not give feedback on its progress. Be patient, it is transferring in 4kb nibbles (or if you know the nand-erase size of your SSD, use that.)
  8. When it completes, down the MyCloud, and attempt the disk swap. Set the old HDD aside just in case.
  9. Profit?? (It may be necessary to run an fsck on all the partitions on the ssd if the MyCloud just couldn’t help itself but to write on its volume while dd did its thing.)

Great, I have an adapter but I’ll need a clarification in that my only mode of dealing with the MyCloud drive has been to view its contents and direct Acronis to write my backups.
Please clarify:

1. Turn off? Do you mean power or un-plug the RJ45?
  2. Not familiar with TONKY
  3. “Console to un-mount the volume” The console being where? Obviously if I un-plug RJ45 from the LAN I hav no interface without an app of some sort?
  4. I assume that if 5 is answered that 6 will become clear?

I just had to point my browser to IP address to get what I assume is the “console”. Not seeing a reference to TONKY.

How do I access “dd”?

You connect to the device over ssh. This gives you a remote linux command line console, which executes commands directly on the mycloud. This is distinct and seperate from the the web GUI.

So-- I guess some pre-steps are in order.

1. Access the Mycloud’s web GUI, and enable SSH in the services section.
  2. Disable the Cloud Access, and Twonky media center services while you are there.
  3. Turn off all the file sharing services there as well.
  4. Connect to the mycloud over SSH using something like PuTTY

Still haven’t found a reference to “Twonky” in the Media section?

How do I connect to SSH? Not at all familiar with Putty? Is that an app that gets downloaded or an option somewhere within WD website?

BTW, the NAS dirve is essentially empty so I wouldn’t expect the clone operation to take very long, not that it matters much.

I ran the dd command from the Putty session. I attached a screenshot in the hopes it will tell you enough as to whether the clone was completed.

I don’t know if it’s just my recent installation of Putty or not but Putty DOES NOT respond properly to the password change command “passwd”. After entering the old password, Putty responds with the line for the new AND the re-Type line with the cursor already on the re-Type line. Nothing I do can get the cursor up to the new password line so nothing I do allows me to change the password.

Did the screenshot tell you anything?

How big is your SSD? It says it ran out of disk space after 10MB. Not sure what command
on the gen2 that is available to display disk size.
You can try ls /dev/sdb* This will list the device id’s assigned to sdb.

RAC

The SSD is small, only 256GB. The NAS is for a very special app that serves several nodes on the LAN doesn’t need even 100GB… just some speed.

I’ll try the command you suggested in a couple of hours when the NAS is more available than it is at the moment.

I tried your suggested command [ ls /dev/sdb*] . Putty reports “command not found”. I assume I must have made some sort of mistake but I got the same message each time:

That is l as in love. So ls /dev/sdb*

Putty is reporting that it can’t connect because of a network error. Maybe because of all the attempts I made trying to reset the root password “as instructed”:grin: as I mentioned in post #8

Why are you changing the password? It does not need to be changed under most circumstances, because the password set in the GUI automagically gets the root password.

*boggle

Anyhow, just power off the unit, and power it back on again. When it comes all the way back up, try to connect over ssh again.

When you get it up, and connected, get an ls of /dev for me after you insert the SSD on the USB port.

Below is a screenshot for both the primary and secondary (USB) drives. Maybe the ls command isn’t exactly correct for the USB attached drive? I can look at the primary NAS from Explorer and it shows a new folder entitled “Bill”.

To test that new folder, I copied a simple txt file to “Bill” folder using Explorer copy/paste and that seemed to work as one would expect.

Having no experience with Lynx line commands, I have no idea how to view the “Bill” folder via SSH?

BTW what does “*boggle” mean in your post?

When you did the ls /dev/sdb* command the ssd was not connected. When you
connect a USB device you should get a /dev/sdb entry. You shuld also get a /dev/sdbx
entry for every partition on the USB device.
The fact that you ran out out space is because you didn’t copy sda to the USB device sdb.
You copied sda to a file called /dev/sdb on the sda1 partition.

I’m not following what you’re trying to tech me. Did the clone operation I started with create the partition on the SSD or not? Is there something else, another Lynx command I have to execute via SSH? I believe the SSD has been plugged into the USB port throughout everything I’ve tried.

I don’t know if it would help me in grasping some of the nuances of Lynx in my experience or not, but what does “sdax” and “sdb” refer to?

(NOTE: I’ve been waiting hours for the forum rules to allow me to reply. Seems that new users are only allowed to reply a few times within some unspecified amount of time. How in the world can a guy get his job done with a rule like that! If given a refresh with this post, I’ll likely not be able to reply to your help post… GOOD GRIEF!)

The sdbx is shorthand for sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4 etc. If the device had three partitions
The OS would creadte three device entries. /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdb3. Since you
don’t even have a /dev/sdb. Means the OS does not see your SSD. Because you are
using an sata to usb adapter. Try to connect the SSD to a PC. It should show up as a
drive on the PC.

Having opened the MyCloud case, I plugged in the NAS card onto the SSD but it does not show up on my LAN via Windows Explorer. I also don’t see it listed as an attached device via NetGear. I assume from that that the clone operation did not complete successfully and that there’s not a Lynx boot record??? What is suggested at this juncture?