Clone NAS hard drive to SSD

“Give me an ls on /dev” I’ll get this
for you Friday AM, it’s late in California.

What's the Linux root expression for fdisk to format the data

partition?

Not knowing what part of the world you’re in I thought I’d better make the effort to get you what you asked. Besides, I’m curious:neutral_face:

I’m in CST, but work 3rd. but hey, free support is free support.

Get me output of

hdparm -i /dev/sda

and

hdparm -i /dev/sdb

and since I see a suspicious scsi disk subsystem drive… (/dev/sg0, sg1, sg2… etc)

dmesg |grep sg*

Requested output forthcoming soon.

I'm really curious about "        and since I see a suspicious scsi disk subsystem drive      ".  To protect my devices from my own Linux ignorance I un-plug all my SATA devices plus it helps to identify the two devices of greatest interest to my efforts here.  When I look at "Volumes" in  Linux, I see sda and sdb that are the two involved here.  I also see a volume entitled "Mapper", no clue what that might be unless it's the USB attached device that provides the interface to digitize old VHS tapes to my PC so I can burn DVDs?  I'll disconnect it when I disconnect the SATAs and see if that answers the mystery.

The reply didn’t format properly when sent by email. Here it is posted on the forum…

Requested output forthcoming soon.

I’m really curious about “and since I see a suspicious scsi disk subsystem drive”. To protect my devices from my own Linux ignorance I un-plug all my SATA devices plus it helps to identify the two devices of greatest interest to my efforts here. When I look at “Volumes” in Linux, I see sda and sdb that are the two involved here. I also see a volume entitled “Mapper”, no clue what that might be unless it’s the USB attached device that provides the interface to digitize old VHS tapes to my PC so I can burn DVDs? I’ll disconnect it when I disconnect the SATAs and see if that answers the mystery.

hdparm command not found. How do I resolve that? I only have the Gentoo distro of Linux.

I still don’t know what the answer is to the scsi question but below is the screenshot from dmesg:000

Friday PM. I am afoot to find, download and burn a USB drive with a distro of Linux that has what we need to investigate.

Messed up big time! Went through an hour or two obtaining Debian and made a bad choice at the very last step and I am left with NO Master Boot record so I can’t boot up Debian. I thought I’d directed the installation to write the Master Boot record to my USB flash drive but all I get is a blinking cursor when I attempt to boot up.

Try googling repair MBR on a USB drive.

I would just grab a knoppix livecd image. It is designed to live on a dvd/cd. It should have hdparm, and is a debian-like system, which I can totally walk through.

Managed to get debian up and running. It is installed on a 256GB SSD and I see it via hdparm -i /dev/sdb. The target of the clone is a 120GB SSD and I see it via hdparm -i /dev/sda. However, I cannot find the source of the clone which is attached to the LAN via switch port (NSA). How do I find the device name so I can try the cloning operation?

BTW, it appears that the mystery about the SCSI being seen earlier are the two PCI and PCIe cards. One is MAudio and the 2nd is Wi-Fi card.

I only see the two SSD drives. The clone source NAS is attached to the LAN switch so no clue how to identify it in Linux?

I checked the LAN. The clone source NAS is IP 192.168.1.3 named “MyLinks” (formally MyCloud).

Not included in /etc/fstab when I attempt to mount. I’ll need some help with this as there seems to be a multitude of non-consistent information via google and I don’t want to “shoot a hole in my foot”.

You would be better off if you could hook up the My Cloud disk directly
to your PC. It would most likely end up as /dev/sdc. You can only mount
the partition that has data on it. Which would be partition 2.

I can do that… be back shortly

In that there are now only two SATA drives connected, I assume that sda is the debian distro SSD and sdb is the MyCloud HDD, which would be the clone source disc? I will round up a couple of more cables and connect the clone target SSD.

Okay, I now get an sdc added. How can I examine the characteristics of each of the drives… like “properties”?

Given the space comments resulting from running the scenario in post number 27, I don’t know if the partitions got created or not. If so, how do I format partition #4 with linux fdisk with ext4?

Looking at your output. You only copied the first two partitions. In fact the second copy didn’t complete. Show a lsblk with all three devices connected. Also do a ls -l /dev/sd*
Need to see why the no space errors.