Clicking sound on external 2tb hard drive

A few hours ago, my drive began making a clicking sound? (3 times for who cares) It’s not being read and I can’t initialize it… Warranty has also expired since it’s from 2020

+i tried a different data cable, didn’t fix it.

not sure if it is a beep or a click tbh

Hi @Luc1 ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

The clicking sound can be due to many reasons like a read-and-write head crash, physical damage, wear and tear, misaligned drive lead, Service area problems, and power issues.

The best way to tackle the sound is to stop using the drive because using the drive can worsen the damage

Check for the connection in different USB ports on your computer as well as another computer

If you have figured that these things are not working then chances are that it’s the read-and-write failure and to troubleshoot it the best way is to replace the drive.

This type of drive is very difficult to repair. Attempting to repair a clicking hard drive yourself can be risky and may further damage the drive. So the best thing is to replace the drive. Contact the WD support team before going for a replacement. If you want the data to be recovered then I would suggest you go for a professional data recovery service or expert data recovery software.