Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

hello, it is possible install plex media server on openmediavault?

If one uses the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right) and searches this thread for plex they’ll find a number of past posts and discussions about it.

https://community.wd.com/search?q=plex%20topic%3A93714

Plex can generally be run from OpenMediaVault. Plenty of online guides can be found using your favorite internet search engine. The problem comes with the limited hardware used on the My Cloud and any modifications to OMV to get it to run on the My Cloud. While it may be possible to install and run Plex one may run into some limitations when doing so. For example generally transcoding is not possible.

1 Like

Hi,
I wanna know what works the best for you guys?
DSM or OMV? on wd cloud gen2 single bay

What are your suggestions and is possible to upgrade to omv 4 or 5 or should i better stick with omv 3 ?

@Fox_exe Thank you for the great work!
I did manage to upgrade to debian stretch on Gen2 mycloud(single bay), however I am unable to ssh back into the device after reboot, tried different combinations root/mycloud, admin/mycloud.

Even the usb recovery boot isn’t loading up(for telnet session).

Any clues on what to do next?

ok, I managed to fix it. looks like debian wouldn’t allow root login by default. I took the HDD, connected to another machine, added a test user, used the same shadow for root user. all good now.

FOX thanks for your efforts with the WD mycloud home devices. I now have OMV4 working on my single drive mycloud-home. I was wondering can I install OMV5 using your mycloud-home DUO firmware on my single drive mycloud home? It appears the hardware is similar enough it should work OK? Can you advise? thank you in advance.

I keep failing to get the Clean Debian install to work. Can anyone help me figure out what is going wrong?
WDC MyCloud Gen 2 is stock.
I delete the 2 files in the boot/boot folder then copy the 3 files to that folder, when I reboot the MyCloud all I get is the Red/Yellow flashing LED and no network access. To fix I connect HDD to PC and use the recovery files to get it booting to the recovery and then reinstall the newest firmware.

So, I have an EX2 Dual Bay with 4TB drives (same as Mirror Gen 1).

I uploaded the Debian firmware file and rebooted.

Unfortunately, mauled with the red/purple lights.

My MAC must have changed as it has a new IP, no biggie, but I could telnet to the device.

So Telnet, ok. Looks like Linux but that’s what it was running anyways. Doesn’t look like Debian root…

Noticed I had sda1/2/3/4, ok. But sdb was goofy. And no md0/1/2.

Well, I don’t care about my data. Wipe/reconfig both disks as sda1/2/3 and sdb1/2/3. Create the raid arrays for md0/1/2 using sda and missing. Add sdb disks. Reboot. Cool!

Create md0 as swap, swap on. Create /mnt/root. Mount md1 to /mnt/root. Uploaded the 4.XX firmware root files, lib, config, uImage, and Ramdisk.

Unpack firmware root and lib to same folder.

Erase mtdblock1 and upload uImage.
Erase mtdblock2 and upload uRamdisk.

Reboot, and now blue flashing light with NO HDD.
No telnet.
Recovery doesn’t seem to be working, usb clean fat32 8gb, mbr config.

So, how screwed am I? I have a UART cable at work…

Canadian Hubby

Install TFTP server on Your computer, place uImage and uRamdisk to root folder of tftp-server.
In UART (WD console) type this for boot from these files:

dhcp; setenv serverip 192.168.1.100; tftp 0xa00000 uImage; tftp 0xf00000 uRamdisk; bootm 0xa00000 0xf00000
  • Replace 192.168.1.10 to Your computer IP.

If you want install official WD firmware - you need WD Recovery uImage/uRamdisk and clean disks (Wype first ~10GB of data, using “dd” utility)

Thanks Fox. I’ll give this a shot!

I assume with wiped HDDs my box uses a flash for pre-boot? That’s how I was getting telnet with wiped HDDs.

My HDDs are in RAID1.

I was thinking attach a drive to a Linux live-CD PC and finish unpacking the OS, config, boot, etc files properly. Probably to both disks independently.

Question is with the files in /boot/ setup proper with the marvel 370 mtb file (or whatever the extension is) will it actually boot.

I think I goofed up the flash.

Ill have to make a trip to work. Is the UART easily accessible on the EX2 non-ultra (mirror gen 1)?

Hello Fox_exe, I have managed to recover my device using UART.

The commands you provided didn’t work, the device was actually boot into a recovery environment, but was not able to get DHCP. Every boot, no DHCP. I had to run udhcpc manually.

I was then able to TFTP Debian 3.XX to the device (uImage, uRamdisk, rootfs.tar.xz).

I manually replaced uImage/uRamdisk using the ‘dd’ command.

Now my device boots up, the HDDs are blue, but the power is flashing. It boots to a login, but does not respond to CONSOLE or TELNET.

So I still have a bum HDD, I’ll rebuild SDB, remove and re-add it to the RAID.

But only if I can get console/telnet working. I may try to load 4.15.0-rc6 as well again.

Ok, put the device into recovery mode using SPACE & 1 during boot (MARVEL> prompt) at the very beginning.

Thought the Base-OS #/ prompt was the recovery mode. Not the Marvel> prompt.

The EX2 (Mirror Gen 1) goes into recovery mode, with webpage, allowing for firmware upload. You can also DHCP; SERVER IP; TFTP; BOOT; as you instructed from here.

I reloaded both 3.XX successfully, 4.XX successfully. Loaded OMV successfully. Restored official WD firmware successfully (using recovery mode again). And loaded Synology 7XXX, and upgraded to 8XXX.

The WD-TO-SYNOLOGY-8XXX does not work, claims there is no disk space. But 7XXX does work. And the upgrade from 7XXX to 8XXX works.

I am now running Synology (although OMV is fully up-to-date on this older hardware) and am liking it very much.

Soldered on the UART lead, and used my dremel to cut the metal backplate & chassis. The cable hangs out the back just beside the power jack. Clean, simple, permanent.

Thanks for your help @Fox_exe!

Hi,

I need help. :slight_smile:
I want to install Debian on “WD My Cloud EX2” (not “Ultra”), P/N: WDBVKW0120JCH-20, Processor “Marvell PJ4Bv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)”. Current firmware 2.12.127.

I am not sure which firmware will be good for this model. Some people wrote here that firmware 2.x means hardware “Gen2”, but on the other hand this page clearly says that it’s Gen1… :frowning:

Moreover - I quickly reviewed the install.sh script and found there this:

dd if=${image_kernel} of=/dev/sda5 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
dd if=${image_config} of=/dev/sda7 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null

I am afraid to run this script, because I do not have sda5 and sda7 partitions on my disks!

# cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name
   7        0      97980 loop0
  31        0       5120 mtdblock0
  31        1       5120 mtdblock1
  31        2       5120 mtdblock2
  31        3     205824 mtdblock3
  31        4      15360 mtdblock4
  31        5      20480 mtdblock5
  31        6       5120 mtdblock6
   8        0 3907018584 sda
   8        1    2097152 sda1
   8        2 3902822400 sda2
   8        3    1049415 sda3
   8        4    1048576 sda4
   8       16 3907018584 sdb
   8       17    2097152 sdb1
   8       18 3902822400 sdb2
   8       19    1049415 sdb3
   8       20    1048576 sdb4
   9        0    2097088 md0
   9        1 3902822264 md1

Any ideas? :slight_smile:

You want to use the WD MIRROR GEN1 install files (the same as EX2 NON-ULTRA).

You can install Debian 3.XX from the DEBIAN folder, or Debian 4.15.0 RC6 from the DEVELOPING folder.

A note I found: 4.15.0 had a bug where it wouldn’t pick up DHCP without running udhcpc. It tried, but would timeout.

You can get around this by modifying /etc/network/interfaces and setting a static IP (and setting hwaddress ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 - your old MAC addy of course - if you want).

I had 3.XX and 4.15 running with OMV. Not sure how in love with OMV I am.

Currently running Synology which uses 3.2.40 as a base.

You should have sda/sdb 1 & 2 & 3 & 4.

1 = swap
2 = os
3 = new data part
4 = old data part

md0 = raid sda1/sdb1 = swap
md1 = raid sda2/sdb2 = os
md2 = raid sda3/sdb3 = data

Well… I tried the 3.x and it seems I bricked the device…
I see two red hdd-leds after boot and nothing happens. :frowning:

How can I access any boot/restore environment on this device?

Maybe just wait a bit?

I had the blue power light, and my HDD lights went RED/PURPLE.

Because it’s reloaded on a custom firmware, the MAC changes. So it will get a new IP, check your router.

You’ll be able to TELNET over.

Don’t try to update your uImage and uRamdisk … I made that mistake … bought a UART CP2102 programmer and soldered the leads on.

You should still have SDA1/2/3/4 (4 has your data).

You can add SDB1/2/3 to the raid using:
mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1
mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --add /dev/sdb2
mdadm --manage /dev/md2 --add /dev/sdb3

Curious if your OS is actually loaded to MD1. If you run mount see if it’s mounted as /.

If it’s not loaded… Here are some of my notes:

mkswap /dev/md0
swapon /dev/md0
mkfs.ext4 /dev/md1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/md2

mkdir /mnt/root
mount /dev/md1 /mnt/root

cd /mnt/root

one of these 2 commands:

• wget http://local server/debian-stretch-rootfs.tar.xz
  • tftp -b 8192 -g -r debian-stretch-rootfs.tar.xz 192.168.1.100

tar xvf debian-stretch-rootfs.tar.xz
rm debian-stretch-rootfs.tar.xz

Reboot device
cd /
umount /mnt/root
sync
reboot -f

Then you’ll have a copy of Debian 3.XX installed. But, there is no frontend. You need to follow the instructions in the OMV folder to add the cert/repo, and install it.

If you want recovery there are 2 options:

• UART pressing SPACE 1 SPACE 1 SPACE 1 during first boot-up
  • Wiping mtdblock1 (which contains uImage) using command: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1

Eureka! I missed the MAC address change! I found the box under new IP, telnet worked!

The hdd was not changed - I had to create the filesystems manually. It booted and seems to work! :slight_smile:

In you opinion is it worth to go to Stretch? Is Stretch as stable as Jessie on WDMC? I have Jessie now… (And if you suggest Stretch - how should I upgrade?)

Hey hey! Glad to help!

I just copied/pasted the names from the docs, lol. But 4.15.0 RC6 in the DEV folder is debian-stretch.

I tried 4.15.0 RC6 Stretch & OMV, but, didn’t find it to be 100% ready for use (like the uImage/uRamdisk bootloader networking bug).

I’m running 3.XX non-stretch on Synology. I quite like it.

OMV was new, fully updated, but clunky it seemed. Synology is easy to use and clean. Nice modules. Does exactly what I’m looking for, a little more than stock, with an easier feel.

OMV has TONS of features, but I’ll never use them…

I see I have kernel 3.2.40 - ~7 years old… :frowning:
Any way to upgrade?

Actually - where is kernel on WDMC? /boot folder is empty, so I assume kernel is flashed somewhere in /dev/mtd and it’s there forever. :frowning:

I can see this in dmesg:

[    0.000000] xhci_hcd 0000:00:00.0: Failed to enable MSI-X
[    0.000000] xhci_hcd 0000:00:00.0: failed to allocate MSI entry
(...)
[    0.000000] devpts: called with bogus options
(...)
[    0.000000] systemd[1]: Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.

Is it normal?
Power led is blinking all the time. Does it mean anything?
(The system seems to work very well.)

BTW: What is the procedure to install Synology on Debian?

My power led blinks too after loading unofficial OS.

I believe the kernel is the uImage loaded to mtdblock1.

To install Synology, I had to clear mtdblock1, boot to recovery mode, login to web, load official fw, fully reset, and load Wd-to-synology-7xxx.

I couldn’t figure out where to load OS in OMV.