Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Please help a newb here :slight_smile:

I am trying to replace these files on my DSM installed MyCloud Gen1.
I have downloaded the files I need to upload/overwrite.
I have WINscp installed and connected via SCP protocol and have located the files on the MYCloud box.

When I try to copy over the replacements I get an error that I do not have the rights to overwrite the files. I have logged on with my Admin username and password.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks
JohnB

Admin - not a superuser.
Use sudo su for switch to root account. then - unpack these files by tar xvf archive.tar.gz -C / (Flag “-C” - set output/extract folder)

Thanks Fox, appreciated :slight_smile:

I have a n00bish question, sorry about that:

I have a WDMC Gen2 and I’d like to switch to Debian/OMV

One of the prerequisites is “Copy uImage, uRamdisk and rootfs-jessie.tar.xz to /boot/boot (Overwrite all)”… I don’t know how and where to put these files. Is it on sda3? How do I copy files to it? Sorry, I can see how dumb of a question that is, but maybe one would be as kind to help me with that

Also, I suppose rootfs-jessie.tar.xz is interchangable with jessie-rootfs.tar.gz?

Still having problems :frowning:

I log on as admin user, then try to switch to root using “sudo su” and get the message “-sh: sudo: not found”

Is there some other setting I need to change to allow me root access on the box?

Thanks

JohnB

Sorry, was just beign stupid, logged in as root and it works.

Thanks for the help folks

Anyone? :see_no_evil:

@CHRIS_TOPH First copy the files in a shared folder using Windows to the NAS (like you would normally add files to it), e.g. to the “Public” folder.

Then login using SSH to the NAS.
Then locate the path where the files you copied before are stored, I dont recall the exact path anymore (maybe /shares/Public/)?

Assuming the files are in /shares/Public/…

cd /shares/Public
mv uImage uRamdisk rootfs-jessie.tar.xz /boot/boot/

If /shares/Public/ should not exist, then try to find the file “rootfs-jessie.tar.xz” with the following command:

cd /
find . -name "rootfs-jessie.tar.xz"

It then should find the file and show you the exact path.

Mine is MyCloud Gen 1. Would you advise the exact codes inside the fstab to mount sda4 and md0?

Mine is MyCloud Gen 1.

“1. Edit /etc/fstab, add mount options to /dev/sda4 (Data partition) and /dev/md0 (root):
noatime,nodiratime,commit=60”

Would you advise the exact codes inside the fstab to mount sda4 and md0?

I had the same problem.

Try : apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys “insertkeyhere”
Maybe there is an better command for this, but this one works for me

Hi @Fox_exe,
I’m trying to build the latest kernel 5.7 with nf_tables support, but I would like to test it first before I put it on my device

i’m trying to setup a virtual machine to test the kernel with QEMU but not getting close
unpacked your jessie rotfs in to an img file and with the kernel and ramdisk i’m trying to start qemu with the following syntax

qemu-system-arm -M vexpress-a9 -cpu cortex-a9 -m 512 -drive file=jessie.img,format=raw,id=hd -initrd uRamdisk -kernel uImage -nographic -no-reboot -append ‘root=/dev/sda3’

but nothing happens

Any help will be welcomed

tnx

Hi all,
I have a WDMC Gen1 and I’ve followed @Fox_exe’s instructions for Clean Debian with autoinstall. It was working up initially but I think I have bricked myself as I can’t access it via SSH / WebUI. Telnet is not working as well even though I do get a green LED.

Any idea what is my best option?

Hi HRVSTR, how did you manage to solve this? I’m stuck with the same issue…

Hey guys, i want to install OMV5 on my ex2ultra.

I already did :

Summary

Install:

1. Go to web panel and install .bin file as regular firmware
  2. After reboot - device get new IP address, find it and connect via Telnet
  3. Run these commands for prepare HDD’s:

Disk 1: /dev/sda, Disk 2: /dev/sdb

Run it for both disks if you need raid and replace “missing” in mdadm command to 2nd disk (/dev/sdb)

parted --script /dev/sda “mklabel gpt
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 0% 512MB
mkpart primary 512MB 4096MB
mkpart primary 4096MB 100%
set 1 raid on
set 2 raid on
set 3 raid on”

Replace “Missing” to /dev/sdb* for use bith disks.

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 --run /dev/sda1 missing
mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 --run /dev/sda2 missing
mdadm --create /dev/md2 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 --run /dev/sda3 missing

For add 2nd disk later

Format disk and run this:

mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1
mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --add /dev/sdb2
mdadm --manage /dev/md2 --add /dev/sdb3

Format new partitions:

mkswap /dev/md0
swapon /dev/md0
mkfs.ext4 /dev/md1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/md2

Mount partitions and upload rootfs (Already included kernel):

mkdir /mnt/root
mount /dev/md1 /mnt/root

Upload rootfs archive to this partition and unpack:

cd /mnt/root
wget http://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Ex2-Ultra/Debian-linux_4.14.4/debian-stretch-rootfs.tar.xz
tar xvf debian-stretch-rootfs.tar.xz
rm debian-stretch-rootfs.tar.xz

Optional: Install more new kernel:

cd /mnt/root
wget https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Ex2-Ultra/Dev/Linux-4.15.0-rc6/libs-4.15.0-rc6.tar.gz
wget http://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Ex2-Ultra/Dev/Linux-4.15.0-rc6/uImage
wget http://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Ex2-Ultra/Dev/Linux-4.15.0-rc6/uRamdisk
tar xvf libs-4.15.0-rc6.tar.gz
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1
dd if=uImage of=/dev/mtdblock1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock2
dd if=uRamdisk of=/dev/mtdblock2
rm uImage uRamdisk libs-4.15.0-rc6.tar.gz /mnt/root/lib/modules/4.14.4 -r

Reboot device

cd /
umount /mnt/root
sync
reboot -f

After reboot you can connect via SSH:

Hostname: WDMCmg2
User: root
Passwd: mycloud

MAC address will changed to real after next boot.

For change it: /etc/network/interfaces (hwaddr value)

after that i did :
apt update
apt full-upgrade

to go to Debian 10 Buster

form that point i use:
https://openmediavault.readthedocs.io/en/5.x/installation/on_debian.html

It runs smooth but i got some Errors and cant apply changes in some Paketes like Firewall, NTP or Email notifications.
Do i need to install some extra programms to make it run properly ?

and is there a way to upgrade the kernel ? If i try it with :

apt-cache search linux-image
apt install linux-image-

it wont update the kernel. After a reboot ist still the same kernel version

Just touching on this now and am stuck, looking for some help. I can safely get CleanDebian Jesse up and running just fine but running the upgrade script or apt full-upgrade to get to Buster or Stretch runs fine until it hangs on Installing new version of config file /etc/udev/udev.conf. It becomes unresponsive at that point, responding to pings but no new ssh sessions and will not let me Ctrl+C out of it.

Hard rebooting with a power pull means it never comes back or responds and I’ve got to dd the image files again to get back to stock, then back to Jessie.

I’ve done it several times and selected both options at the Package distributor has shipped an updated version prompt with identical results.

Any hopes here, or should I just run Jessie until the hardware dies? My other option is just shucking the drive for some other project entirely.

Hello. I have the same problem now. How did you solve it?

Hello
I don’t know anymore. I sold my gen2 recently. You can ask the guys on omg forum. They’re really helpful.
cheers

@Fox_exe I have no linux background and trying to upgrade debian on MyCloud 6TB gen 1.

I tried clean debian with autoinstall and it got completed and said reboot to use. But, did not get rebooted automatically. so I had to unplug and replug. But, My MyCloud is not working… it shows white/yellow light on when I switch it on.

I want latest Debian and SMB on myCloud 6TB Gen 1 and if possible OMV or NextCloud on it.

any help is much appreciated

@TheSuperKnot. I am stuck with upgrading to Jessie from the original latest firmware. MyCloud 6TB Gen2 is not working. It just shows white light and not available on the network. How do i fix it or go back to original state without opening it?