Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Anyone tried to use LVM on /dev/md2 in Debian?
Generally I can create physical volume and volume group, but creation of logical volume fails:

# lvcreate -L 10G -n test1 my_vg
  /dev/my_vg/test1: not found: device not cleared
  Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV.
  semid 131073: semop failed for cookie 0xd4dc6ec: incorrect semaphore state
  Failed to set a proper state for notification semaphore identified by cookie value 223201004 (0xd4dc6ec) to initialize waiting for incoming notifications.

Of course it does not work also from OMV webgui. :frowning:

I have an EX2 Ultra, managed to get Debian installed using instructions from @Fox_exe and installed OMV

Went into the UI and changed the hostname/IP configuration, then rebooted, now can’t see the unit on the network at all, I’m guessing it’s knackered the etc/network/interfaces

Is there any easy way of recovering network connectivity?

Short:
Remove disks, power on, wait ~10 seconds, place disks back. Device will boot into recovery. Connect using Telnet, mount root partition, change network config. Reboot.

For fix OMV network configuration in future - try to install “Network Manager”.

Thanks @Fox_exe, all back working now.

Is there a recommended configuration to use for the EX2 Ultra?

Looking for the following:

Debian (which version?)
DLNA (currently using MiniDLNA but previously had Twonky)
Plex media Server
FTP
Samba (is there a configuration that optimizes performance?)

Best filesystem for my data volume (currently using EXT4 but heard that XFS is better)?

Is OMV required? If so, which version is recommended (currently on OMV4)?

Also, if going with OMV is there a File Explorer plugin for copying file around rather than using the unix shell, much like the WD functionality?

Thanks for any advice.

About OMV functionality - ask on omv forums. There is many of custom modules and components for almost anything for you need.
All software better to be latest versions, include OMV and Debian at all (But before upgrade Debian to latest (buster for now) - upgrade kernel and hold “udev” package - he need some functionality, that maybe not present in kernel)

Ok, I think I’ve bricked my EX2 Ultra!!

Had successfully installed DSM using the files in https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/DSM/ but had some DNS issues with NTP and Plugin Repository

Thought I’d try the PAT file in https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/DSM/work-in-progress/ but didn’t read the _info.txt (if I had I probably wouldn’t have used the new PAT file) and didn’t use the updated wd-to-dsm.bin

Now I have a unit that seems to boot but isn’t visible on the network, have even taken the disks out to try to get it into Recovery Mode, but still no luck.

Help!!!

EX2 with Debian: Is it possible to add extra kernel modules? For example bridge or dm-raid?

Only if you build your own kernel.
Some modules available in /lib/modules/. Use “find” command for list them all.

Only if you build your own kernel.

I suspect it means to create new initrd and reflash the box? Is there documentation of this process?

The default kernel does not have /proc/config - is there original config available somewhere?

What kind of kernel is used? Is it “vanilla” one, or with some extra addons included? (And if no extras - is there any reason to keep 3.2.40? It seems reasonable to upgrade to at least 3.2.102. Or higher.)

Is it possible to boot new kernel without reflash? (Tftp?)

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Developing/
Some info, sources, patches etc.
WDMC Gen1 cpu (Comcerto C2000) don’t have support in mainline kernel, so no future versions available. Only if you transfer all changes “by hand”, as i did it in the past.

In initrd need update only kernel modules (Especially pfe.ko - its a network driver. It needs to be compiled separately).

Gen1 uses “Barebox” (U-Boot 2.0 Alpha build). Use this as start point: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Recovery/

WDMC Gen1 cpu (Comcerto C2000) don’t have support in mainline kernel

Are you sure we are talking about “Gen1”? When flashing my EX2 I used software from “Mirror” folder. But there is no 3.2.40 kernel source available there. Is it the same kernel as in the “Gen1”? With same config? :thinking:

Oh, sorry, i forgot, that WD uses outdated kernel in almost all devices.

For Ex2 use Mirror Gen1 files: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror/Developing/
Some info here: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/Other/Official_linux_kernel/

I do not see where actually is 3.2.40 source for Ex2. I installed the debian firmware and this kernel binary was included, but I cannot find matching sources and config.

Hi, I’m just get my WD Cloud and took interest in this modding.
My first question is, am I supposed to choose one of these mod? I’m aware that NAS is basically a barebone PC that run on something light, and what comes to my mind is I have to install every “firmware” to have a smooth run. If it is indeed one choice, which one are you recommending? I have the first gen My Cloud.
Thank you.

Hi,
I have a MyCloud EX2 Ultra and tried all of the different firmwares. They are all working like a charm (thank you @Fox_exe for your work!) but it was not possible for me to get the disks to spin down and sleep after some time as there has always been something which lets them stay awake and I could not find out what it was. Is there a solution? My desired firmware would be clean debian + omv

I have also tried it with log2ram and moving the log files of samba etc. to it but it did not help.

Is it possible to do anything other than just install OMV on a gen1? I have had it running fine for months but wanted to try miniDLNA and/or a ROON core. Any scripts i try to run however do not work as files never seem to be found

Ok, I have seen this error mentioned a few times around here, but I have not found a solution yet.

TL;DR: MyCloud EX2 Ultra is bricked, in permanent save mode and the save mode fails because it cannot find cgi-bin/system_mgr.cgi.

I installed the Debian-linux_4.14.4 on my MyCloud EX2 Ultra. Then, upgraded to this kernel Linux-4.15.0-rc6 (some parts did not work), and rolled back to Linux-4.14.4 from your website
Now, the device boots into save mode, I tried to upload both your firmware as well as the original, but I’ve got the 404 /cgi-bin/system_mgr.cgi error some people mentioned above.

Any solutions to this @Fox_exe ? I would be very glad if someone could help me :smiley:
Is there a way to boot restore an image from USB?

@shirt.gov do you have any updates on this one?

Help would be much appreciated,
thejack

any solutions to this one @shirt.gov @nnorland ?
Same problem here :smiley:

Hi, it’s been a while since I’ve touched the My Cloud, but I was able to fix it if I recall correctly. I’m going to have to think about how I got this working.

Ok, so looking back I recall using the instructions here:

http://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_en.txt