Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

I am trying to install DSM 5 to WD MyCloud Gen1.

However I am stuck on the first step. I got green light on my WDMC (using the boot recovery from HDD method), however, I do not understand the part for Start_DHCP and Start_TFTP, which I am not able to connect via telnet. It says connection refused. Also not able to get to recovery websites. i.e. mycloud.local
Can anyone provide me tips on how to connect via telnet for DSM installation?

Thanks

Has anyone managed to compile and use 5.5.0+ kernel? I compiled it successfully – I have both uImage and lib/modules/5.5.0+ directory, but I can’t get it to work.

Hello everybody, I have a little problem, and I hope it is a small problem. I cannot install Openmediavault on my WD My Cloud Ex2 Ultra. I have installed fresh Debian, and now I get this message, help please:

root@wdmc:~# apt-get install openmediavault
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
openmediavault : Depends: php5-fpm but it is not installable
Depends: php5-cgi but it is not installable
Depends: php5-cli (>= 5.6) but it is not installable
Depends: php5-pam but it is not going to be installed
Depends: openssh-blacklist-extra but it is not installable
Depends: monit (>= 5.4) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Thank you again

I see no replay… :frowning:
what about this:
Reading package lists… Done
W: GPG error: Index of /public erasmus InRelease: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13 NO_PUBKEY 24863F0C716B980B
W: The repository ‘Index of /public erasmus InRelease’ is not signed.
N: Data from such a repository can’t be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

any help there?

PLEASE

root@wdmc:~# apt-get update
root@wdmc:~# apt-get install --yes apt-transport-https

root@wdmc:~# cat <<EOF >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
deb https://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis main
EOF

root@wdmc:~# export LANG=C
root@wdmc:~# export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
root@wdmc:~# export APT_LISTCHANGES_FRONTEND=none
root@wdmc:~# apt-get --allow-unauthenticated install openmediavault-keyring
root@wdmc:~# apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
--allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
--no-install-recommends \
--option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
--option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \
install postfix openmediavault

root@wdmc:~# omv-initsystem

Hello !
Thank you for your works :slight_smile:

I wish have help, i put Debian on my WDMC Ex2 Ultra but i would put DSM now and i don’t know how to rollback, do you know how to do it ?

EDIT: I have an WDMC Ex2 Ultra.

Thank you !

EDIT 03/11: I found a solution, it will be great to put it on the txt file on for exe’s website.

1. Download the original files (uRamdisk and uImage) : https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/Original/
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock2
dd if=uImage of=/dev/mtdblock1
dd if=uRamdisk of=/dev/mtdblock2

Hope this will help you !

is there a way faster way to reinstall DSM 5.2 on a gen1 my cloud or i will need to follow the “Replace HDD and install the original_v04.01.02-417.tar.gz and upgrade to DSM ? where can i edit to change the MAC address/Model Name and the serial number ?

tar xvfz dsm-rootfs.tgz -C /tmp/hdd1
dd if=dsm-kernel.img of=/dev/sda4
dd if=dsm-bootconfig.env of=/dev/sda7

Hello,

I have a wd mycloud gen2

After doing this https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_en.txt it stays at 0 procent. I found another way to get the mycloud running but when i try to run dsm on it it won’t work.
I try several things but after install DSM-wdmc-gen2-8451.pat it won’t reboot anymore and the red led keeps blinking. Any suggestions??

Please help me out

any chance u can tell me how to change the MAC address, Model Name and Serial number ?

Thank you very much for all the work @Fox_exe
I’m trying to install on a EX2 Ultra, but after reboot and partitions steps,
it can’t connect to internet so when I try to wget the debian stretch file it can’t download.
It says:
wget: bad address ‘fox-exe.ru
I tried to ping websites and it’s offline indeed (but ethernet is on the router and I’m connected through Telnet)
Any suggestion on how to upload the files manually?
Or advices to succeed to connect to internet?

1 Like

Check /etc/resolv.conv, There should be a line like this:
nameserver 192.168.1.1
Where 192.168.1.1 - is a IP address of your router.

Or try to use alternative domain: anionix.ddns.net

Also you can use USB drive for store files (But need FAT32 or Ext4 file system, because NTFS can not be supported by kernel).
mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb

Thanks! I ended up using a USB drive, thank you very much for your work!

Hello, I bought a WD Home Cloud Duo thinking that was similar to the Home and changing the OS to Debian was posible and easy (But I was wrong), is not easy, but is posible. Thanks to the files of Fox_exe, and the work done by forth32 and godex on 4pda i am able to boot a basic version of debian and root the filesystem, now I need to find how to install Debian on the emmc (i´m very new at this, I don’t even know how to program, now i have free time so i trying to learn how to make the rootfs with the sources of wd). If someone need the info for rooting the cloud duo (at leat you can install Entware) i do the following (i´m not responsible if your nas stop working, i´m just sharing what I did with mine):

• I follow the instructions on how to put the original firmware on the hdd of the cloud home (in the files of Fox_exe, folder: WDMyCloud-Home) on 1 of the sata disks of the duo
  • I compile the sources of the kernel, modifying the dts for the pelican build to boot from sata (originally is configured to boot from the emmc, thats the reason why forth32 files doesn’t work on the duo)
  • I change de dtb file and the kernel image with mine, leaving bluecore.audio and the rootfs the same, and changing the names to add emmc instead of sata.
  • Put the files on a usb formatted with fat32 and plug the home duo with the reset button pushed
  • Now you are on a minimal debian, use telnet to connect to it and mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 on /mnt/config and /dev/mmcblk0p3 on /mnt/system_a (this is the system partition of the emmc)
  • You can follow the instruction to install entware using “rm” command to erase files and “vi” from busybox to edit files, so you gain root access through adb

PD: I only put the filesystem on one disk, but i don’t know why i cannot boot in the rescue mode if i dont have the 2 disks (doesn’t matter what you have on the other). And I don’t know for sure if you need the files on the home in your disk (I already have it because i was trying different approaches), you are free to try without copying the files.

My recovery files for usb drive: 19.83 MB folder on MEGA

Now if someone can help me on how to install debian i will appreciated, hope this is useful

PD2: I edited the instructions to make it a bit clearer (sorry my english is very bad).

3 Likes

Well i’m stuck, i´m trying to change the init scripts from rootfs.cpio so i can boot from the emmc (or load usb on recovery), but everytime i change something the nas doesn’t boot, I notice that everytime i repack the rootfs,cpio file, it has a different size from original (4096 kb vs 1756 kb) even if i don’t change anything, i don’t know if i am repacking it wrong (im using cpio and gzip commands) :slightly_frowning_face:

Hi all

I’m using omv on my cloud gen2, with emby server also installed and it working perfectly with one annoying problem, often the root filesystem gets remounted in read-only, and than nothing works. I need to do hard restart several times to force it to work.

Addition: Now I have a red blinking LED

Help pls

Please help a newb here :slight_smile:

I am trying to replace these files on my DSM installed MyCloud Gen1.
I have downloaded the files I need to upload/overwrite.
I have WINscp installed and connected via SCP protocol and have located the files on the MYCloud box.

When I try to copy over the replacements I get an error that I do not have the rights to overwrite the files. I have logged on with my Admin username and password.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks
JohnB

Please help a newb here :slight_smile:

I am trying to replace these files on my DSM installed MyCloud Gen1.
I have downloaded the files I need to upload/overwrite.
I have WINscp installed and connected via SCP protocol and have located the files on the MYCloud box.

When I try to copy over the replacements I get an error that I do not have the rights to overwrite the files. I have logged on with my Admin username and password.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks
JohnB

Admin - not a superuser.
Use sudo su for switch to root account. then - unpack these files by tar xvf archive.tar.gz -C / (Flag “-C” - set output/extract folder)

Thanks Fox, appreciated :slight_smile: