Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

HI Fox,
thx for your reply. I tried several .config Files from your repo. I only activated the ACL support for ext4 / ext3 Filesystems. I’m also very unsure if a need to build the uRamdisk File everytime i build a new kernel. Is it possible to active a verbose kernel output via UART at boot time?

Debug already active at UART interface by default via kernel boot command console=ttyS0,115200 earlyprintk=ttyS0 (Default boot command).
Kernel just “hung” on initial step.

Try to build kernel in Debian Jessie 64-bit. Maybe its just gcc is too new…

Hi Fox,
thx for reply. i tried the 4.14 kernel with your kernel.conf. Now i’ve a working kernel. Thank you for your help.
But i have another problem. I want to have 802.1q VLAN Support. the kernel.config show support for 802.1q. i also installed the vlan package via apt and insert the module name in /etc/modules. After that i modifed the /etc/network/interfaces.
After reboot i’m able to ping the address of the native network interface and the ip adress from the vlan sub-interface. I’m even able to ping from the debian (WDMyCloud) different server at home and in the internet. But no tcp / udp service is working. DNS Resolution stops working. No SSH from outside to the WDMyCloud is possible. If i remove the vlan subinterface from /etc/network/interfaces everything fine again. I tried to remove the modules from iptables from the kernel. I dont see any errors in the logs. Did somebody of you tried vlan support with the MyCloud Gen2 (SingleSlot) with Clean OS on Debian Stretch?

Hello, I’m trying to compile a newer kernel for the my cloud mirror gen1 because of some problems with systemd. But I keep getting this problem while compiling the dtb file:
[pessip@pessi-pc linux-stable]$ make -j 4 $DTS_FILE.dtb
DTC arch/arm/boot/dts/armada-370-wdmc-mirror-gen1.dtb
Error: arch/arm/boot/dts/armada-370-wdmc-mirror-gen1.dts:1.1-2 syntax error
FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.lib:306: arch/arm/boot/dts/armada-370-wdmc-mirror-gen1.dtb] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:1259: armada-370-wdmc-mirror-gen1.dtb] Error 2

Edit:
Is it possible to just install the kernel in your repo? And how do I do it?

1.1-2: First line, firs two symbols.

I think its just charset error. Try recode this file using dos2unix or similar. (By default - Unix/LF line ending, ANSI or UTF-8 encoding)
Also try this: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror/Developing/kernel-4.15.0-rc6/config-and-dts.tar.gz

Thanks! I got the kernel built. Where should I place the files? I tried putting it to /boot but it is still booting the old kernel. Also should the should I replace the whole lib/modules folder or try cobining the new and the old?

Hi folks,

the VLAN problem was a effect of a known and already fixed kernel bug. I successfully build a kernel on 4.14.139 with ext3/4 posix acl support and working 802.1q support.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2Avy6R7Se5XXzAyWGJnSWJfY2M?usp=sharing

Does this work for My Cloud Home (MCH) also ?

Hey @Fox_exe

Thank you for the awesome work. I have a Mycloud EX4 and after reading the whole thread + doc on your site, it seems there is not any fully tested/supported build for it. As you mentioned before, it is very similar to Mirror Gen2 but with a different CPU and some other components.

I’m no expert, but from what I could understand, the best way would be to build a kernel with specific dsm for EX4.

I think it would be nice if I could do it, test it, and release it to the fellow owners of EX4 hardware.

I’m willing to do it, but I lack knowledge. I know my way around linux, I can follow guides, do basic troubleshooting, but I don’t know very well the details of this kind of hardware. I guess the starting point would be obtaining a dsm for EX4 right?

Would you be able to give me directions? Maybe we can work together to add support for EX4 on your releases.

Sorry, i stop developing anything for this NAS. I dont have it anymore.

As an option - You can try to use kernel from Gen2, but replace dtb part in it.

Hello, I’m new here but this topic seems very promising… Maybe someone is able to help me…

I have a QNAP TS-131 with a Mindspeed Comcerto C2000 CPU… So its the same as the WD My Cloud Gen1…
Unfortunately on the TS-131 there is a USB copy button on the front panel. If you press it for a few seconds during boot, the NAS will override it’s NAND with content from the HDD.
My USB copy button was stuck, so this happened and now it has no OS which it can boot.

QNAP doesn’t provide any flash files for the TS-131 and the people in the QNAP forum won’t answer…

I hope someone can help me to flash e.g. OpenMediaVault or Debian to it…

I have network connectivity in Barebox and I already tried to use the normal WD My Cloud uImage. Barebox tries to start the kernel but I guess it’s missing the ramdisk.
Unfortunately I don’t know how to properly use Barebox.

Thanks in advance and kind regards
Morten

Try this: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Recovery/Recovery.zip
You need tftproot/recovery (Its compressed kernel with dtb and ramdisk in one file).
In strartup.sh you can find example boot command for barebox.

You are absolutely awesome :star_struck:
I flashed recovery via the update command via tftp to nand0.boot1_kernel and just typed bootm /dev/nand0.boot1_kernel.bb and it booted flawlessly…

My only problem now is that the My Cloud NIC is made by Broadcom and the QNAP NIC is made by Atheros, so ifup eth0 thows an error… (PHY comcerto-0:00 not found)
But this shows me, that there is hope and that it’s definitely doable…

Thanks for answering that quick…
You made my day :smile:

No problems :smiley:
Next step - compile your own kernel: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Developing/src_linux-3.2.68-wd.tgz

@lenisko I’m sorry to disturb you, but it seems that you and I have encountered the same problem. After flashing bin file I have waited few minutes but could’t get an IP. So what is your final solution to this problem? Can you elaborate on it? Thank you very much.

Hi! I have met exact the same problem with you, and I was wondering how you finally fix this. Thx a lot!

Thanks for your great work!

I followed your instructions in summer 2017. I do it all to my WDMC Gen2 and all works fine.
In summer 2018 i updatet to debian 9 and all works fine :wink:
About 2 weeks ago I ran the updates again via omv. The updates went through without errors, but afterwards I had aborts with all copying processes!!!
.I had updated to debian 10 and omv 4, but unfortunately found no solution on the www.I kept getting smb error messages and every copy process was canceled after a few MB and the memory was full.

Our Workaround:
Create a File

/etc/sysctl.d/99-vm.conf

with the following content

vm.min_free_kbytes=8192

After that, the memory of the WDMC Gen2 was no longer full, even after a restart, and all write and copy processes ran without errors !!

Hth

Hi,
New here and this is a BIG thread. I want to install debian on My Cloud EX2 and I found some instructions about installing .bin files but when I download these files:
CleanDebian-Jessie.tgz
CleanDebian-Wheezy-en_US.7z
I dont see any .bin files. Can someone please link to the setup instructions for these?

Hi,Can anybody please tell me instructions to install DSM on my cloud gen 1 when HDD is connected to pc having linux.TIA.

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror/

Ex2= MIrror there the same/

I would go with DSM Personally. I have a EX2 and Run DSM its smooth and very very nice… The interface is golden tons of apps… ETC…