Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Hello,

Thank you, DSM works fine.
Is there a way to change the MAC address in order to simulate a good match between MAC and serial number ?

Thx

https://blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/2013/01/11/how-to-change-the-mac-address-of-an-ethernet-interface/

Thx

I tried with this method

http://xpenology.me/how-to-generate-synology-mac-and-serial-valid-pair/

But it does not work I cannot create the quick connect

Hi !
I’m back !
I’ve finally install DSM correctly without any mistakes and no problem ! :slight_smile:

But i’ve only one question, why I can’t connect via FTP ?
FTP Logs:
Commande : USER admin
Réponse : 331 Password required for admin.
Commande : PASS ********
Réponse : 451 Error in server: Cannot chroot.
Erreur : Impossible d’établir une connexion au serveur

What’s i have to do with Chroot ?

Thank you so much @Fox_exe for your work !

Hi @Fox_exe and @Killians, i’ve tried OVM but didn’t works, maybe it’s me! hehehhe

I installed DSM, seems to be all right, but when but i got WHITE led, is it ok?

What’s the address to access DSM Webgui?

Thanks in advance.

In DSM no led control. Led always white.
DSM boots ~2 min. WebGui available on default IP/port (automatically redirects to port 5000).

Hello boys,

Is there a way to use Synology Quickconnect ?

@pifouille have you already created MyDS Account?

I (finnaly) got DSM to work!!! It’s very cool and a great UI, i like a lot!!!

I think it’s the best choose for common users!

@Fox_exe, excelleeeeeent work!!! Congratulations!!!

Doubt: @Fox_exe is there a way to update to version 6 direct from the UI? Or you are already working on it?

Yes I did with a fake SN

Sorry, no. I sell my box and can’t test new builds.

Clean Jessie can be installed on wd firmware v.4 (64K)?
I installed CleanJessie on wd v.3 firmware + omv Erasmus 3.0.13 and even optimizing samba, the speed is very average.

@Fox_exe, if i want to change DSM to OMV, how can i do it? DSM seems to work great, but start freezing…

The File to CleanDebianJessie is only ClenDebian-Jessie.tgz ?

EDIT (18/04/2016): after reboot, it become stable, great FW (DSM5)! Thanks @Fox_exe !!!

Yes, unrar and run with “Autoinstall.zip” and follow this tutorial for omv :

http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/OpenMediaVault/Install%20latests%20OMV%20in%20Wheezy.txt

In the line :

echo “deb Index of /public kralizec main” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list

Replace erasmus if you want testing OMV 3.xxx.

@Tony_Le_moine, thanks!

Quiz (for who already tested):

Which FW do you prefer: DSM5 or OMV ?

Hey @Fox_exe, I am having similar problem to @norbalino but their fix did not work for me. For a few weeks I have put up with the extreme slowness and frequent crashes and they’ve only gotten worse over time. I want to also move to OMV erasmus (the latest version, not sure why kralizec is still recommended in the install instructions). Can I use the autoinstall.sh or is that only for going from stock? If not, do I have to change back to the stock partition layout?

EDIT: I figured it out, I did not use install.sh but used the replace HDD Instructions (other than my data partition, in order to avoid erasing it) but with clean debian firmware instead of stock. Working great, OMV erasmus is installing now. Also much more customizable than other firmwares. (important to me as a self-described linux hacker)

No way to insert the serial number into DSM on My Cloud. From what I gather, Fox didn’t implement any of the Synology support for the serial number or QuickConnect stuff.

So I ended up having to wipe my OMV (clean debian + erasmus) due to running out of space on the root partition and breaking things due to installing too many plugins. Also had to wipe data partition unfortunately (nothing irreplaceable though). I got it working once, but now omv-initsystem kills my ssh but does not enable OMV. I’ve tried it and wiped it three times now.

EDIT: Fixed it myself once again. The reason I was able to get it working once is that it update from 3.0.13 to 3.0.15 in the meantime and I didn’t realize it. It just so happens that 3.0.15 is completely broken.

That means no way to get the quickconnect working?

@Sun_Kasiin, i suggest you to forget the Quickconnect and configure a DDNS and the Port Fowarding on your Router (firewall), so you will be able to connect from anywhere!

P.s.: it’s reccomended configure two-factor authentication for a better security and disable TELNET (reccomended by DSM Security Consultant).

DSM (5.2) is 12 days online and pretty stable!

@Fox_exe, you are the one!

Hi guys. Hopefully someone here could help me solve a problem I’ve been struggling with for the past couple of days. I’m currently trying to configure my DSM 5.2 install on WDMyCloud 4TB single drive variant, to auto-mount folders and nfs shares (as client) during boot.

I did some research and found out that the only way to do that on DSM was by editing/creating rc.local in the /etc folder(might be the wrong folder? But it would be the likeliest folder). Editing “/etc/fstab” doesn’t work as it is overwritten to back to default at boot (doesn’t stick). Don’t know why but it might be Synology’s doing.

First thing I should mention is that my install (don’t know if anyone elses did) didn’t come with a rc.local already installed. So I had to create one and chown to root user (for safe measure) and chmod +x it to copy the permissions of the other rc.* files. I’ve added the #!/bin/sh as the first line and the commands after it. I also test ran it through ssh with the command “/etc/rc.local” and it worked without any issues.

However, the problem I’m facing is that when I reboot the NAS, it doesn’t mount the folders and it seems as though it doesn’t run the rc.local commands. I’ve checked the rc parent file located at “/etc/rc” and it does have rc.local include in it. Does anyone have an idea on what is going on or what I am doing wrong?

@Fox_exe Thanks again for the work you’ve done.

Lastly, is it possible to upgrade the Samba on DSM to v4 using @Fox_exe’s binaries? If so, could someone please write a HowTo on it?