Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

… please, dont touch raid section…

Should I have had 2 drives showing, with raid degraded there?  It doesn’t seem right.

Any idea why it keeps giving me issues shortly after I load OMV on it?  After I change hostname or timezone in the GUI, it refuses to boot each time.  Also, when I go in to share some folders, there is no drive to select, so I can’t share anything.

craw169 wrote:

I am going to try a clean debian install and will try to post instructions if it works for me.

Did you have any success with this? It would be good if you could share your experiences.

Like you, I really want to ditch the WD firmware, as I’m now fed up with it’s slow, unstable behaviour.

This is what I’d like to do …
Install a clean version of Debian and establish a network storage area that my Mac desktops can reliably & easily connect to via WiFi, allowing various backup software to regularly write to. Ideally, I’d like to to install GUI and VNC packages so that I can communicate via a screen share - but that might be pure fantasy!
Using the drive as a media server is a secondary objective for me, I’d be happy to get OMV working - but only after I have a reliable backup drive with stable connection.
I’m less interested in remote access of the drive, it would be icing on the cake but is probably my tertiary objective.

My problem? I’m really not familiar with linux and suspect that I will not have the knowledge to complete the process

I initially went with OpenMediaVault but couldn’t get the drive to sleep so switched to Fox’s clean debian and couldn’t be happier with the setup.

Its running SickRage, NZBGet and MySQL perfectly now.

To get the drive to sleep I did have to remove exim4 as it was writing out logs too often but I didn’t want a mail server anyway.

I also had to add vm.swappiness=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf so it only use the swap partition only when neccassary as well - Not surprising with those three apps running.

I’d barely used linux prior to this so thank you Fox for all your hard work.

After I flashed OMV v1.17 (from Stock-WD-Firmware), the file transfer-process became much worser.

Instead of 80-90 MB/s in reading I get 0-40MB/s now. The whole process pauses every minute for a few seconds. (SMB)

@ Fox_exe any progress on DSM port?

alinescoo wrote:

@ Fox_exe any progress on DSM port?

For now - i try to transfer some Synology features to our kernel. (Possible fix samba and file explorer).

Next step - prepare new bootimage (some fixes and patches)

Hi,

I tried updating samba based on the instructions given in the first page of your thread.

I did run the following command: 

apt-get install samba
service samba stop
tar xvfz samba4_binary.tar.gz -C /usr/sbin/
service samba start

Then went to the file /etc/samba/smb.conf to add the settings you highlighted. However, I wasnt able to access the smb shares. 

security = user
lanman auth = no
main protocol = NT1
encrypt passwords = true
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
write cache size = 2097152
use sendfile = true
getwd cache = yes

I had a backup of the conf file without your settings so I restored it (available in dropbox link below) but still I cant access my shares. I use windows and android, server is not accessbile.

I have the users in OMV setup with the shares and access rights, pics available in dropbox link. I have download the omv system info in text file (available in dropbox link below).

I tried running few commands to troubleshoot, if this may help. Appreciate your kind support.

Last login: Sun Jun 14 02:27:12 2015 from 192.168.2.30
root@MyCloud:~# smbstatus

Samba version 3.6.6
PID Username Group Machine

Service pid machine Connected at

/var/run/samba/locking.tdb not initialised
This is normal if an SMB client has never connected to your server.

root@MyCloud:~# smbpasswd –a win7test
Segmentation fault
root@MyCloud:~#

Files available in:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kw8snt6wi6lqofl/AABSzqAV8NgZZAWeswPmxArea?dl=0

omvcleandebian sysinto export
smb.conf
Pics of OMV configurations

I am still in the process of setting it all up. It isn’t hard, I just need to find the time

• I had originally bricked my cloud because I did apt get update with v 4 firmware before reading that it wasn’t possible with newest firmware.
  • I kind of felt OMV install would be a bit restrictive so I went with clean Debian install
  • it took me a couple of tries but I got clean Debian installed and it is stable
  • I used own cloud and remote access of files works reliably and is FAST. Files show up on other devices as soon as I add them and don’t disappear like they did with wd firmware.Finally my cloud is usable for what I bought it
  • I have plex installed but still need to do some tweaks. Seems to work ok so far with small test library and transcoding off
  • cups works fine and I can now AirPrint from all my iOS devices and couldn’t before
  • I am very glad I did this and big thank yous to fox and everyone who contributed tips

My biggest issue is that I am not sure if my cloud ever spins down the drive (even after power off). I used to know Linux quite well but I have been away from it for years and I am rusty and not sure what power management options there are with arm Linux…will update when I know for sure.

Sleep mode supported (When system not active), Spindown HDD also active, but work only if HDD not used.

For do that - install ramlog (Already installed in some of my firmwares) and move all other folders to ram (Those files and folders to which programs often address).

Also you can use this manual as start point:  http://info4admins.com/tips-to-spindown-your-hard-disk-in-debian-or-ubuntu/

Hi,

does anyone know how I can use MyCloud to use a scanner over a LAN? I’ve a multifunctional Samsung SCX-3400.

thanks!

ottomauri wrote:

does anyone know how I can use MyCloud to use a scanner over a LAN? I’ve a multifunctional Samsung SCX-3400.

thanks!

http://www.gaggl.com/2012/04/installing-samsung-multifunction-printer-ubuntu-11-10/

Same for debian. Use search (google, bing etc.) sometime…

Has anyone had any success installing  openmediavault-minidlna ?

I get the error:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 openmediavault-minidlna : Depends: minidlna (>= 1.0.24) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So I have installed OMV on my 3TB MyCloud using Fox_exe packages and as outlined in the OMV community forums (see linked thread). I had previously downgraded the firmware sq-030401-230-20140415.deb and I did not do anything else with Debian (i.e. did not do a clean install).

I have also experienced problems with miniDNLA:

root@MyCloud:~# apt-get install minidlna
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
minidlna : Depends: libavformat54 (>= 6:9.1-1) but it is not installable
Depends: libavutil52 (>= 6:9.1-1) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
root@MyCloud:~#

Fox_exe provided the following advice:

About Minidlna - Omvextras.org have new version of minidlna, but not all dependencies for hem.
Fix 1: Temporary add Jessie repo
Fix 2: Disable omvextras repo, install old minidlna (from wheezy), then add omvextras repo again and install plugin.
FIx 3: Report about this issue to omv-extras.org and wait fix.

Yes, I get the same errors when I try to install minidlna (the error in my last mail is when I try to install openmediavault-minidlna).  I’m guessing we’re missing some repository where the dlna stuff is stored on?

EDIT: Sorry, just saw the notes from fox at the bottom of your post.  Did you have any luck with this?  I’m not up to speed on what and where all the repos are, so if anyone has the correct lines to add to the sources, I would appreciate it!

Hi!

I’ve installed the 64k version of Debian on my WDMC, but after some testing I’d like to use the standard clean debian image (4k). But unfotunately, the install.sh script is unable to install the new image because the package mdadm is missing. Also it’s not available in the default 64k repository.

I tried adding 4k repositories to install it, but can’t be configured (probably because it’s not compatible… i know my way through debian with the help of google, but i’m defininately not an expert…). I successfully managed to build 64k packages (htop to test) with the latest v4 WDMC GPL source code on a Debian virtual machine from the following tutorial :

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/GUIDE-Building-packages-for-the-new-firmware-someone-tried-it/m-p/770653#M18650

But i found out that building mdadm is a pain because of too many missing dependencies, and i would need to build and install each one of them prior to build mdadm…

Has anyone successfully managed to install the other images provided by Fox_exe from Debian 64k with its installation method?

I already bricked my WDMC once because I messed with install.sh by changing md0/md1 partition, had to unbrick with the SystemRescue method, to finally realise that the missing mdadm package generated the error when installing a new image. I would prefer not to unbrick again to install debian 4k because I still have SSH access to WDMC.

Thanks for your help, I really like the fact that we can finally use the full power of WDMC without the original firmware!!

w/o mdadm you can’t change md partitions, so cant switch images (firmwares).

But you can upload image (rootfs, kernel, config) to any folder (DataVolume) and use this method for reflash firmware:  Recovery image (tftp method)

elylv wrote:

Sorry, just saw the notes from fox at the bottom of your post.  Did you have any luck with this?  I’m not up to speed on what and where all the repos are, so if anyone has the correct lines to add to the sources, I would appreciate it!

No, sorry – as yet I’ve done nothing else about this; miniDLNA is only a peripheral interest/objective for me. I have now installed Plex from the OMV settings and will test that as a media server. My main interest is getting MyCloud to work efficently as NAS - I was fed up with the WD software and flacky connections. Thus far, OMV seems more robust and reliable

Thanks for the info, but TFTP method never worked for me, I used the disasembly method again :stuck_out_tongue: Now I’m ready to try new stuff! :smiley: I’m more than curious to try DSM5. Keep up your good work!

Thanks!

OMV and Plex seem to be working well now but …

Is there any way to get the MyCloud to sleep/standby mode and the awake again. If I put the drive into standby mode, either from OMV gui or terminal it closes down, the LED goes blue (from green) but then I can’t get it to wake again.

I have tried various WOL protocols but the drive never spins up again.

Without going into sleep/standby mode MyCloud HDD seems to be always spinning, which is not ideal in terms of power and extending life of the drive.