Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

elylv wrote:

Sorry, just saw the notes from fox at the bottom of your post.  Did you have any luck with this?  I’m not up to speed on what and where all the repos are, so if anyone has the correct lines to add to the sources, I would appreciate it!

No, sorry – as yet I’ve done nothing else about this; miniDLNA is only a peripheral interest/objective for me. I have now installed Plex from the OMV settings and will test that as a media server. My main interest is getting MyCloud to work efficently as NAS - I was fed up with the WD software and flacky connections. Thus far, OMV seems more robust and reliable

Thanks for the info, but TFTP method never worked for me, I used the disasembly method again :stuck_out_tongue: Now I’m ready to try new stuff! :smiley: I’m more than curious to try DSM5. Keep up your good work!

Thanks!

OMV and Plex seem to be working well now but …

Is there any way to get the MyCloud to sleep/standby mode and the awake again. If I put the drive into standby mode, either from OMV gui or terminal it closes down, the LED goes blue (from green) but then I can’t get it to wake again.

I have tried various WOL protocols but the drive never spins up again.

Without going into sleep/standby mode MyCloud HDD seems to be always spinning, which is not ideal in terms of power and extending life of the drive.

Have I bricked the MyCloud?

OMV crashed while I was playing with WOL problem and now I only get a white LED on powerup, fan is running HDD platter sounds as though it’s spinning but no green LED just solid white :cry:

UPDATE -

LED did go solid green after 20-30 minutes but still no visibility on LAN, SSH terminal or via GUI

Hi. Thanks Fox_exe for all the effort you have put to this.

But I have one problem with your clean debian.

When I run “apt-get install libevent-dev” I get the following error

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libp11-kit0 : Depends: libc6 (< 2.14) but 2.19-18 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Can this be fixed?

Your libc6 from Jessie, but you try install package from Wheezy. (Version’s conflicts)

Rollback libc6 or use Jessie as default repo and install latest software (Need upgrade kernel - see in g.drive and hold udev package (dont upgrade or you get brick))

How can I rollback to wheezy?

mushroom_daddy wrote:

Have I bricked the MyCloud?

OMV crashed while I was playing with WOL problem and now I only get a white LED on powerup, fan is running HDD platter sounds as though it’s spinning but no green LED just solid white :cry:

UPDATE -

LED did go solid green after 20-30 minutes but still no visibility on LAN, SSH terminal or via GUI

Sorry Guys, I have given up with this project! :confounded:

I managed to ‘brick’ MyCloud unit and have decided to pull the drive and use it as a more conventional HDD on my WiFi network. I enjoyed playing with OMV; it is so much better than the shabby, unreliable WD software. Fox_exe deserves to be highly commended for his work getting Debian FW revisions and OMV installations working for the WD-MyCloud. However, IMHO none of this should be necessary on a commercial product – it really should work straight out of the box!

I cracked open the case of MyCloud and the 3TB drive is now sitting in my old PowerMac while I try to make the data accessible via OSX.

Does anybody know how to make linux ext partitions RW on OSX?

I can mount them using OSX Fuse - but they are read only, and I don’t seem to be able to copy the data to a reformatted HFS+ partition.

I sincerely wish the MyCloud community ‘good luck’ and especially to those using revised FW & OMV builds - I hope that your strength & perseverance is stronger than mine :wink:

Yeah, my “Firmwares” - only for test / fun / teach_something / etc…

And possible make it better (Force samba’s speed, add more functionality like auto-restore via Reset button etc.). But i dont need it anymore (I buy nettop and make all-in-one server based on ProxMox)

About ext4 in MacOS:  http://osxdaily.com/2014/03/20/mount-ext-linux-file-system-mac/ (Read from “Write support”)

Or this:  https://github.com/gerard/ext4fuse

1 Like

Hi @ all

I restored my 4tb wdmycloud with Fox_exe’s guide on the first page. First it showed in the web UI 0 space left, so I made a quick system restore. But now it shows only 1.8 tb. Can someone help me with that?

Thanks Fox_exe for your great work!

(parted) print
Model: ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68W (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 4001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name     Flags
 3      15.7MB  528MB   513MB   linux-swap(v1)  primary
 1      528MB   2576MB  2048MB  ext3            primary  raid
 2      2576MB  4624MB  2048MB  ext3            primary  raid
 5      4624MB  4724MB  99.6MB                  primary
 6      4724MB  4824MB  101MB                   primary
 7      4824MB  4826MB  1049kB                  primary
 8      4826MB  4828MB  2097kB                  primary
 4      4828MB  1802GB  1797GB  ext4            primary

WDMyCloud:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sda2[1] sda1[0]
      1999808 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices:

Recreate Data partition.

Missing “mkpart primary 4828M -1M” ? (from my instruction)

Also try “Full reset”.

DSM 5.2 Almost done! Its boots up. Samba/FTP/DLNA work too. Almost all webgui functions works.

But now i have troubles to with bootscript (idk how to build this). And need recreate partitions on HDD (Hardcoded HDD layout in system files).

So - cant autoboot. Only “By hand” from UART now…

All files and some info available on G.Drive if someone want try it.

Found the problem!

I used my old usb to sata adapter. But it can not handle large HDDs properly, so it recognized it as a 1.5-2tb hdd.

So I used the internal sata connector in my PC and everythink is ok now.

WOW! DSM on the wdmycloud, can’t wait to test it … great work!

Is there any way to enable Ip filtering in this Debian image?  I’ve installed fail2ban as I’m getting multiple login attempts to the SSH, but it looks like it’s unable to block the IPs because IP filtering is not available:

~# iptables -n -L
iptables v1.4.14: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

The repeated login attempts seem to be causing high CPU load for the sshd process, otherwise I wouldn’t be too worried.  Would like to autoban all of these hacking attempts.

Oh hey, while I’m at it, I had to do a TFTP recovery on this device sooo many times.  Eventually, I worked out the RAID partition was messed up and managed to fix it with mdadm.

But, during all of those TFTP fixes, I always had to wait about an hour for the new kernel to be transferred via TFTP.  But I found out you can speed this up to about 3 mins by tweaking the tftp commands listed in your recovery guide:

tftp -g -r -b 65536 rootfs.img 192.168.0.1
tftp -g -r -b 65536 kernel.img 192.168.0.1
tftp -g -r -b 65536 config.img 192.168.0.1

That changes the block size to 64k and makes it much quicker.  Might want to add this to your guide and save people some pain when recovering.

1 Like

It would seem that DenyHosts works, whereas Fail2Ban does not on this image, which is fine by me.  Would suggest everyone installs it!  If some botnet discovers your port 22 open, they’ll do a dictionary attack on it at their leisure.

elylv wrote:

Is there any way to enable Ip filtering in this Debian image?  I’ve installed fail2ban as I’m getting multiple login attempts to the SSH, but it looks like it’s unable to block the IPs because IP filtering is not available:

~# iptables -n -L
iptables v1.4.14: can’t initialize iptables table `filter’: Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

The repeated login attempts seem to be causing high CPU load for the sshd process, otherwise I wouldn’t be too worried.  Would like to autoban all of these hacking attempts.

I also have this problem with “iptables”, are there any solutions to this?

Update kernel (See in G.Drive)

Or compile your own (Its easy. Google will help)

Hello, I’ve tried this even without checking if is supported on firmware V4.x.x and the drive is now half dead.

What i mean about half dead is that I locked myself out from SSH and the U/I is not working whatsoever. 

I am able to access the information on the drive and is faster than it used to be, but the only thing that I’m able to do is use it as a regular NAS.

Any ideas besides taking the drive out and unbrick that way?

Try the TFTP recovery instructions on the Google Drive on the first post.

@Fox_exe I was wondering if there is any progress on the DSM port or if you’ve discontinued working on it. Thanks for your hard work