Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

when running “mdadm -A / dev / mdo / dev / sda1 / dev / sda2” returns me an error.

“no recognizable superblock on / dev / sda1”

Help !!! lol

Green Led! Yuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Now i need root passwd from rootfs.img to login using ssh.

Thanksss!

Is it posible in OMV to use dropbox deamon?

yonoesio

• OMV: admin - openmediavault (Or admin - mycloud)
  • SSH: root - mycloud  (Need turn on in WebGui, if you install OMV manually)

Boki99

All software for AMR-hf works good. (I test davfs for box.com sync and Grive for google.drive (From SID or Jessie repo))

2 Likes

Hello !
I’m stuck at upgrading OMV, i cant apt-get install openmediavault beacuse of collectd is not configured ?

I get :

root@MyCloud:~# apt-get install openmediavault
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
openmediavault is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Setting up collectd (5.1.0-3) ...
[FAIL] Restarting statistics collection and monitoring daemon: collectd not restarting, configuration error failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript collectd, action "restart" failed.
dpkg: error processing collectd (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault:
 openmediavault depends on collectd (>= 5.1.0); however:
  Package collectd is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing openmediavault (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 collectd
 openmediavault
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Any thoughts?

Thanks for quick reply.

My suggestion is try to resolve your dependencies and install via aptitude. Different package handlers resolve dependencies differently so try these three.

aptitude update

aptitude install collectd

or stick with apt-get and try using the -f flag and see if that works.

apt-get install collectd

apt-get -f install

You can also try dpkg to resolve the dependencies.

dpkg -P collectd

I don’t know if this will work or not…Google is not all knowing but it is very helpful when you ask the right questions.

Okay guys, I’m working on a clean installer for CleanDebian and/or Cleandebian+OMV. This will still require cracking open the case and using a windows program to write the image. I don’t have a 3tb drive,so, I’ll only be able to provide 2tb and 4tb images. Hopefully I’ll have it completed later this evening.

Basically what I’m doing is taking the mycloud2tb.img that has been floating around, for the 4tb, I write the 2tb image, gparted resize the last partition fo fill the 4tb drive. Place drive back in enclosure, firmwre update, take drive out of enclosure, dd the cleandebian images over, and set everything to english, and perform all reccommended updates. (Install OMV or OMV image). Then take the drive and extract a raw image with Win32diskImage that should be easily  writeable by anyone. If I could figure out a way to netboot or boot the mycloud from usb, we could make this happen without cracking the drive open.

1 Like

Be smart:

Connect to WD via SSH. Extract my images. Run these commands:

mount -o loop -t ext3 rootfs.img /mnt
chmod /mnt

Do what you want as normal system. (Change language, install software etc)

Then, run this:

exit
umount /mnt

Now - you get own rootfs.img :smiley:

No need to create image of full drive. See my instructions for replace HDD here:  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_6OlQ_H0PxVRXF4aFpYS2dzMEE&usp=docslist_api&ddrp=1#

(When recrate partitions - /dev/sda4 is last partition ant takes all free space)

And if you want make installer - Better to do .deb. packgage - for updating via WebGui. (Download original firmware and extract: dpkg -x file.deb /package and dpkg -e file.deb /package/DEBIAN)

Another fix for long-load OMV v.1.0.xx:

nano /usr/share/php/openmediavault/htmlpage.inc

remove 2nd array_unshift function from “scanFiles” function (String #48). Complete example:

for($row = 0; $row < 100 && !feof($fh); ++$row) {
	$content = rtrim(fgets($fh));
	if(preg_match("/\/\/\s+require\(\"([^\s]+)\"\)/", $content,
		$matches)) {
		$this->scanFiles($matches[1], $incList);
	}
}

Now - load time drops from ~160s to ~70s

1 Like
nano /etc/hosts

append to this file on the 2nd line

127.0.1.1 MyCloud

in the end the file should look like below

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 MyCloud
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

press [Ctrl]+ and then [y], then [Enter] to save it 

after that just use 

apt-get -f install

and it should pass that error and configure everything.

What is interesting is that the 1st time when I installed it everything went smooth, but I managed to break it and I had to start again from scratch.

LE: If you made this change right after you deploying the image on the hard drive everything should run smoothly, with no errors.

When copying a file (4GB) from WDmyCloud to a hard drive connected to USB, the transfer rate is very slow (4.0 M / s)
Can be improved?

Thank you!

Hmmm… I connect my USB Stik to WD. Mount to folder inside network share and start copy large file from hem…

12-15MBps - Like on PC.

Same speed when copy inside MyCloud (Using rsync and cp commands).

What software you install and what image you use? (Clean debian, OMV v0.6 or OMV v1.0.xx… Official FW?)

@Fox_exe

First I would like to thank you for your work!

I was wondering if we can use dd + netcat to install the files that you provide to us to wd mycloud  without opening the case over the network.

I have read that this method is used for cloning an operating system  to multiple hosts http://www.softpanorama.org/Tools/DD/dd_and_netcat.shtml

Thank you in advance

keep on  the good job!

I’m looking into netcat as well to help out, as well as making a “firmware” update package you can simply install from the WebGui.

Stay tuned for further developments…

There is a typo in Fox_exe’s instructions in order to create (customize) your own image.

mount -o loop -t ext3 rootfs.img /mnt
chmod chroot /mnt

As always, you should create first a copy of the rootfs image in case something gets damaged.

Yeah, sorry. My mistake.

And one more thing: loop device not present in WD’s kernel. But you can use normal PC, just add qemu library to mounted rootfs:

apt-get install qemu-user-static
cp /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /mnt/usr/bin/

Now - you can use chroot at normal PC.

Ps: My “fix” for long-load webgui added to OMV v1.0.19. No need to tuning/fixing.

I have clean debian + omv 1.0.xx. Also transmission-daemon using wdmycloud disk for download. Usb disk is only for data storage and samba share. Connecting usb disk to a pc and copying files using samba the speed is 20-30 Mb/s.

EDIT

hdparm -t /dev/sdb1

/dev/sdb1:
Timing buffered disk reads: 78 MB in 3.06 seconds = 25.48 MB/sec

But when i try to move data form wdmycloud to usb, using windows7 and cifs the speed is 4 MB/sec (1GB ethernet). With Official Firm i have not problems… Transfer speed was 20/25 MB…

@Fox_exe

installed Clean Debian and OMV, everything is working except the upgrade from Samba3 to Samba4.

I followed your guide but the upgrade killed samba. No access anymore and i must reflash clean debian.

Is there anything else i have to configure?

Is it possilble to configure a Standby mode like in the original fimware?

Thanks for your work

Schinschin

schinschin

For samba work - just reconfigure smb.conf and replace binaries.

But my bin’s compiled from WD’s sources and crashes sometime… (Unstable)

For configure suspend/sleep/standby modes - you can use any of manuals for Debian or Ubuntu.

But now - just increase save time for RamLog and Fake HW Clock utilities… And stop Transmission (or disable scrape for stopped torrents)

is it possible to install Plex Nas Server on Debian?

PEYMAN wrote:

is it possible to install Plex Nas Server on Debian?

I can’t enable Plex Media Server repository on the OMV, so I think it’s not possible. 

I tried also to install it manually, but there is no package available.

1 Like