Cant see folders on EX4 from Windows Explorer/Network from workgroup computers

Cant see folders on EX4 from Windows Explorer/Network from workgroup computers Windows 10 workgroup with 4 WIN 10 computers. All computers connected via 8 port gig switch. All the computers can see the shares and what is shared between them. But no computer can see EX 4 shares. This used to work but just noticed it no longer works. I can get to EX4 from dashboard and open. Twonky works fine as well.

Hello,

Have you tried to access the devices with its IP address?

What devices are you referring to? Let me try this again. On any of the four Windows 10 computers if you use Windows Explorer and click on network you can see other windows 10 computers under network. However you can not see the EX4 shares. The only thing you see on network using Windows Explorer is the twonky server on EX4. On the Windows 10 computers I also have network discovery on. So I’m not sure what you are referring to when you say can I get to devices via ip address. If you are referring to Windows 10 computers as devices that is irrelevant. The issue is the EX4 not broadcasting or showing its shares.

»I have the same problem !

I’m glad that it’s not just me, I was beginning to thing I was imaging things or the drive had failed or something.

I had avoided upgrading the firmware for as long as possible because it was saying “be sure to back everything up” and I hadn’t. I have it set up to create a back up of itself with 4 4TB drives (can’t remember if they are Red or Black, I’d have to pull one out and look). Turns out the firmware updated while I wasn’t looking and ever since then, I have not been able to see the EX4 under “Network” on my PC. It shows up under “Media Devices” but double clicking that takes me to some Twonky server thing that I have zero interest in using. I can’t map it as a Network Drive or anything.

I’ve gone through many posts today trying to get my network functionality back and nothing has worked. I’ve rebooted the drive, turned off the power on my router and restarted that while the EX4 was also off. I’ve tried changing the settings in the Dashboard. Nothing. I have a PC, Win7 64bit pro. The Ex4 was working fine up until that firmware update, it’s maddening.

Strangely enough, I can access it from my Mac, but that’s annoying as I use it for backing up finished work and sometimes I have to retrieve old projects for whatever reason. Hard to search for a key word from the WD My Cloud software access panel, which is the only access I have. It’s driving me nuts to have to copy over the entire folder, it comes as a zip, that has to get extracted, the zip gets deleted and then I get to search for what I’m trying to find. If I had all kinds of money, I would replace this thing.

I think I might have solved it…

I was trying different things a few days ago in Settings and under Network, there is a section called Windows Services.

“Max SMB Protocol” was set to SMB 3 and when I moused over the info icon, it said “Enable SMB2 to support Windows File History in Windows 8”

So, I thought that if it was set on 3, 2 was for Windows 8, then maybe 1 was for Windows 7. I switched it, rebooted and now I can see it on my network again. I will admit that I switched around a few things and I can’t remember them all, so there might have been some other setting that I also enabled/disabled that helped.