Cant reset MyCloud to Factory Default

Tried setting up Port Forwarding to see my NAS outside local network.

Kept getting errors - eventually status LED started to flash yellow indicating a connection problem.

Did all the usual things like check cat5 cable , reset button, reboot, etc.

Unit is still booting but always flashes yellow - any ideas on how to save this unit?

Thanks

Flashing yellow means its not getting a network connnection.Ā  Double check ethernet cables or swap it out if you can.

Similar error issue here. Made a mistake in entering static network information and now just get a flashing yellow light when plugged in.

NAS wonā€™t obtain IP address from router running DHCP nor with a direct connection to MBP via ethernet. Wireshark shows some initial DHCP request traffic when starting up, but never has IP address assigned.Ā 

Rest button doesnā€™t work. 4 seconds, 40 seconds while plugging back in, nothing works. Network settings on the Mycloud just wonā€™t reset.Ā 

Already went through ā€œtech supportā€ which consisited of unplugging it, tapping reset button, etc. Some ā€œtech supportā€ā€¦ they just read the stupid user manual. Have already tried all the basics for connecting / resetting.Ā 

1 Like

Same problem for me. Bought 2 days ago. Yesterday I wrote a wrong IP gateway changing IP in static mode. Now Mycloud donā€™t want to connect the network. Always booting with the yellow led flashing.Ā 

Reset button with no effetc.Ā 

Does anybody know how to fix that?

AFAIK and (suffer) it seems there is a soft bug in the firmware:

Reset or quick factory restore trought reset point doesnā€™t Ā seems to restore factory default to dhcp ip access if you change to static ip and set dns so we canā€™t access the device anymore after saving wrong data in this setting fields!

I solved mine under my responsability:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-WD-My-Cloud/m-p/632129#M2347

Hy, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunatly I think Iā€™m not able to follow all steps without making some mistakes and the cloud has only 3 days of life. At the same time I can send my cloud back to the buyer obtaining the rembursement of my money. The problem is that all my personal data, photo and documents are loaded into the hard disk and I donā€™t want this data to be see by third parties, eventually Ā I would like to destroy all files but I donā€™t know how without losing warranty.

In alternative Iā€™m thinking to buy a professional NASsuch as synology ds112j in a way that I can reutilise hard disk from mycloud installing it to the nas. Is this possible?Can I see the data in the hard dik in this way?

alibabau wrote:

Hy, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunatly I think Iā€™m not able to follow all steps without making some mistakes and the cloud has only 3 days of life. At the same time I can send my cloud back to the buyer obtaining the rembursement of my money. The problem is that all my personal data, photo and documents are loaded into the hard disk and I donā€™t want this data to be see by third parties, eventually  I would like to destroy all files but I donā€™t know how without losing warranty.

In alternative Iā€™m thinking to buy a professional NASsuch as synology ds112j in a way that I can reutilise hard disk from mycloud installing it to the nas. Is this possible?Can I see the data in the hard dik in this way?

You are walking in circlesā€¦:confounded:

You want to destroy (erase)?

Recover?

Move disk to other NAS device?

One or the other without losing warranty?

If you open the device to destroy data; you loose warranty.

If you open the device to recover data; you loose warranty.

If you open the device to extract disk to move it to other device: you loose warranty.

P.S. : I can imagine at least one option to destroy data without open the device but i donā€™t think is a good idea to post it on support forumsā€¦:wink:

youā€™re right. Iā€™m very confused by myself, sorry! to loose warranty or not to loose, this is the problem!

At least i would like to buy a single bay NAS and move wd hard disk into this new nas. Do you think itā€™s a good idea? The new Nas will able to recognise the hard disk without problem.

thanks again

alibabau wrote:

youā€™re right. Iā€™m very confused by myself, sorry! to loose warranty or not to loose, this is the problem!

At least i would like to buy a single bay NAS and move wd hard disk into this new nas. Do you think itā€™s a good idea? The new Nas will able to recognise the hard disk without problem.

thanks again

:confounded:

If you are going to loose your warranty moving disk around, try to recover your data and try to recover the system in the hard disk like i did before buying another piece of hardware to do what you want now from MyCloud! 

Ok thanks. I realize that it is better if I try recovering mycloud before moving the hard disk to another hardware. At this point just few questions:

• since I have a laptop and not a destop, can I perform the process using a usb external hard disk adaptor instead of connecting to the sata port?

• where can Ā I find the latest firmware you detail into your review?

:flushed:

Yes Ā you can use an external usb sata adapter with power supply but if you have a lot of files in the data partition remember that an usb 2 adapter could take MANY hours to transfer all of them.

There are a couple of threads on top of this forum section discussing the last firmwareā€¦

Take a look at the photos I posted in my skydrive link in the other thread and be patient when opening the box, itā€™s not a matter of strength.Ā 

Remember that after taking off the 3 screws from the mini board it moves to the side to separate it from the disk with the sata connection.Ā 

Be Ā patient and gentle.Ā 

Well, I arrived to the point when I have to write the rootfs.img on the 2 root partitions. Please, could you explain better this step? Since Iā€™m not an ubuntu hard user, in which way I can perform this step? I found an app called Disk Utility but I donā€™t think it is the same app you describe.

thanks.

WOW! I DID IT!!!

I solved my problem. Blue light!!! Thanks SAMMARBELLA!!!

Good for you!

ā€œDiskā€ was so easy in ubuntu likes that i canā€™t explain it more clearly maybe some photos.

Donā€™t make mistakes again in dhcp/static and enjoy MyCloud!

disk was different because i was using an old ubuntu version (11.1) I downloaded some years ago. Thatā€™s the reason!Ā :laughing:

Now Iā€™m facing another problem I have already noticed before the yellow led. Transferring data is relly slow. Maximum speed I can reach is 5 mb/sec. Yes I donā€™t have giga ethernet, I know that, but I expect something more, at least 20 mb/sec. I tried different cables and direct connection to the pc, but always the same transferring rate.Ā :cry:

What do you think about?Ā 

Where is the bottleneck?Ā 

If is the PC I use a usb 3 (usb 2comp.) Ā to gigabit adapter for my old laptop or raspberry pi.Ā 

Anker-USB-3-0-Gigabit-Ethernet-LAN

I use Ā it under windows and linux( kernel has chipset driver built-in), Ā for it says it works but I donā€™t have macā€¦Ā 

For more lan bottlenecks get a cheap giga switch if yor router is only 100 mb.Ā 

I am having the exact same problem with my 3T mycloud device.

It was working fine for a week or too.Ā  Then I decided to make the IP address static.Ā  That apparently bricked the device.

Now I perpetually see continuous blinking yellowā€¦

No form of reset seems to work.

ā€”Do I want to get it replaced or do I want a refund so I can buy a different device from a different maker?

It appears that attempting to set a static IP address causes this type of a failure.Ā  I had that happen to me too.

The paper clip style reset does not work.

Pretty hard to believe that we all killed the network hardware from software!Ā Ā 

Yes pretty hard to believe that a resetā€¦doesnā€™t reset!

Short clip reset (and long reset) should restore MyCloud to his default values including any value set on static ip to dhcp but it`s not doing it.

You only have 3 solutions: RMA paying the mail (and receive probably a refurbished HD inside) a refund paying the mail also (and buy another new one?) or void warranty and recovering by yourself.

Yea. It works sometimes and a power cycle works sometimes. Reset doesnā€™t work. iā€™d send it back but I have to figure a way to wipe the data first. No point in getting a replacement; this is the wat it ā€˜worksā€™. I can return it since I got it from Amazon but Iā€™ll keep working on the disk wipe thing. Too bad I canā€™t bill them time and material use (my LAN).