How to unbrick a totally dead WD My Cloud

Well i wil try to do a long story short, after this thread:

Guide to direct backup, unbrick , disassemble process (video) like MBL ones?

If you do the following AFAIK you are voiding the warranty!

I opened the “box” and connected it directly to a linux system via sata (could be USB-SATA or ESATA also).

I ran gparted and the disk partitions layout was the following:

I saw the disk has 8 partitions and the layout seems correct so i did it the easy and safest way i thought.

I closed gparted and from the file manager i browse to the ext4 partition labeled “data” from  the folder “shares” , i was lucky to recover all of them to a different disk!

I ran the util “Disk” from lubuntu other distros have similar tools.

I selected the WD 3 TB disk and just in case of even worst disaster i made an image copy (.img) of both raid partitions the ext3 1.9 GB ones.

Finally i write over each raid partition the rootfs.img image i extracted from the last firmware for My Cloud using 7zip.

From  WDMyCloud-030104-139-20131028.zip i unzipped  sq-030104-139-20131028.deb and unzipped  data.tar  and unzipped the folder CacheVolume inside it there is the folder Upgrade and inside it the partition image rootfs.img with 1.9 GB in size.

I shutdown the PC and connect My Cloud with only the mini board network cable and power supply to my router.

After a few moments i saw the BLUE LED :).

From the browser i navigate to 192.168.1.50 and setup my My Cloud after doing a Utilities-System Factory Restore-Quick restore to be in the safe side ( didn’t touch the other 6 partitions on the disk).

This is just my case but for me a least it works again.

Since i don´t trust this piece of hardware anymore i do daily file sync to it from the 3 TB disk i bought to save the data from his soft brick.

I made several pics of the disassemble and i will post them if anyone ask for them.

6 Likes