Cant reset MyCloud to Factory Default

I had a Freenas server for years. Reconsidered since Freenas is now owned. Ended up just attaching usb 3 hard drives to routers. Seems fine except for the My Cloud mistake.

SATA 3 to usb 3.0 adapter by UNITEK for $20 from Newegg if you need it.

same situationā€¦ no news?

This is the most ridiculous embarrassing screw up for WD Iā€™ve ever encountered. How could they release this product with this kind of hardware killing bug? I mistyped a number in my static IP field, and now my device is totally bricked. I have to send it in for RMA on my dime now, which is unbelievable. Is there any other alternative besides mucking around in UNIX?

Have you read the manual?

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

It tells you have to recover from a forgotten or mistyped static address, no Linux knowledge required.

Of course I have. Have you read the rest of this thread? Everyone on here has done the soft reset and the 40 second hard reset, it doesnā€™t matter. I tried both of these multiple times and changed my ethernet cable twice to verify it isnā€™t a connection issue, it just gives you a flashing yellow light. The software itself is flawed such that once you incorrectly input the static ip, there is no way ot properly reset it despite what the manual says. There are tons of posts here on the forum about this, let alone this thread with multiple users reporting the exact same issue. I have the newest firmware, so itā€™s clearly a bug at a lower system level. Thereā€™s nothing to be done now but to rma a perfectly working device to get a potentially remanufactured unit on my own dime because WD canā€™t write decent software or test their units before release. Iā€™m stuck.

Hi Guys, this issue is currently under investigation by WD.Ā 

Iā€™m not going to try this, but how do you open up the my cloud specifically? Thereā€™s only pictures on this forum of oneā€™s that are already physically open. Where are the tabs to get access to the pcb board?

hold it by the sides with the back of the unit facing you, then karate chop the outer casing til it slides off.