Can't create safepoint

Hi,

I’m having trouble creating a safepoint. 

I have a seagate 2tb desktop USB drive directly connected to my My Cloud. 

The my cloud software recognizing the seagate, but then I click on the seagate to creat the safepoint, I get a quick message that says “Retrieving Partitions” that flashes and then disappears.  

The seagate won’t drop down to be selected and therefore the “next” button never appears.  

I just bought the seagate and have NO data on it.  I plugged it into my PC (Windows 7) today and installed seagate software, but didn’t format the drive.  

Any suggestions? Thanks!

If the drive has anything more than 1 partition MyCloud has issues (at least mine did). Try formatting the drive with just one partition.

So I just formatted drive with one partition and still no dice. 

Also, when connected to the My Cloud, the Seagate LED does not light up (HD is definitely on and spinning). 

I formatted drive again. It has a single partition. 

My computer recognizes drive, but now when plugged into My Cloud, no LED on seagate HD and my Cloud doesn’t even recognize seagate drive at all.

Well its possible the USB port on the Mycloud is broken. There are reports of certain drives that do not work on the Mycloud. I wish WD would provide a list of supported drives.

Thanks for the help.

Is there anyway to troubleshoot to determine if the USB port is bad vs. the Seagate just isn’t compatible.

The only other HD I have is only 200 gb.  I plugged this is too and still no recognition, but since it’s less than the Cloud’s 2 Tb I don’t think this is a valid test.

Should I send back the Cloud or the Seagate or both!!??

uclamutt wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Is there anyway to troubleshoot to determine if the USB port is bad vs. the Seagate just isn’t compatible.

The only other HD I have is only 200 gb.  I plugged this is too and still no recognition, but since it’s less than the Cloud’s 2 Tb I don’t think this is a valid test.

Should I send back the Cloud or the Seagate or both!!??

Even if the external USB drive is not the same size for backup it should still be recognized.

Try this, plug the external hd into your computer, do a disk scan if possible, then make sure you do a “Safe Eject” on your computer. After that, plug it into the My Cloud.