Cant access Public share on XBMC through NFS

Basically I have my WD MyCloud with a static IP and when I go to add a source on XBMC to a folder inside the Public share I go Browse > NFS > 192.168.2.18 > nfs  and then nothing… there’s no Public share there. On my MyBookLive which is setup exactly the same I can access it without a problem.

Hello, I don’t have a lot of experience with XBMC, have you tried accessing the public share from another device?

Hi hlarcher,

You have to do this in the display bar, where it says, Videos and/or Music and then add  a source and then you can do it several different ways. You can choose UPNP, NFS, SMB. SMB will likely going to work for you in seeing the shares of the My Cloud. Good luck.

1 Like

hlarcher wrote:

Basically I have my WD MyCloud with a static IP and when I go to add a source on XBMC to a folder inside the Public share I go Browse > NFS > 192.168.2.18 > nfs  and then nothing… there’s no Public share there. On my MyBookLive which is setup exactly the same I can access it without a problem.

I have found exactly the same thing! 

I have a 2TB MyBook and a 4TB MyCloud. Both are seen fine through SMB shares. Both are mounted fine in Ubuntu/Linux/Windows. XBMC can see both drives via an SMB share, however XBMC can only see the MyBook via an NFS share.

I run XBMC on various flavours of Ubuntu PCs, Android phones and tablets, and OpenElec on RaspberryPis. I see my MyCloud listed in XBMC however no shares are listed on the drive.

XBMC reads files fine via NFS on the MyBook drive, but doesn’t on the MyCloudDrive. I’d be happy to be proven wrong, however I am currently thinking it is a problem with the MyCloud drive and not XBMC as the MyBook works fine via NFS.

OK I could and do use SMB shares, however I find them to be a tad less responsive than NFS shares.

Does anyone have any ideas how to see the NFS shares in addition to the SMB shares please?

I don’t know why it’s not working for you via XBMC, but have you tried manually mounting the drive via your Ubuntu shell?

/home/tony> showmount -e 10.0.0.32
Export list for 10.0.0.32:
/nfs *
tony@mars Wed Feb 26 10:47 AM
/home/tony> sudo mount -t nfs 10.0.0.32:/nfs/Public /mounts/test
[sudo] password for tony:
/home/tony> cd /mounts/test
/mounts/test> ls
newfs.md5 new.txt oldfs.md5 omd5.txt rootfs-1292014.img Shared Music Shared Videos updateFile.deb
New Text Document.txt nmd5.txt old.txt Punch Design.pdf rootfs.img Shared Pictures Software Win8.png

As that shows, it’s working fine for me…

Thanks for the reply. As mentioned in my post all the mounts are fine. I can see them under Ubuntu however XBMC cannot see any shares via NFS. If I try smb then everything is fine. This is not a show stopper, more AFN annoyance.

If you can connect via NFS fine from your computers, then it seems NFS is working fine.

If you mount the Cloud to a local mountpoint, can XBMC then see that mountpoint?

Perhaps the File / folder permissions are preventing XBMC from seeing the files.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

If you can connect via NFS fine from your computers, then it seems NFS is working fine.

If you mount the Cloud to a local mountpoint, can XBMC then see that mountpoint?

Perhaps the File / folder permissions are preventing XBMC from seeing the files.

Local mount points work. Hmmmm Perhaps it’s xbmc at fault? In gotham xbmc when I navigate to nfs file system, two IP addresses are displayed.

Selecting the mybook ip address causes all the shares to be displayed.

Selecting the mycloud ip address just displays a blank list.

In fstab I have mounted them in exactly the same way. What could I have missed?

mildenhall wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Local mount points work. Hmmmm Perhaps it’s xbmc at fault? In gotham xbmc when I navigate to nfs file system, two IP addresses are displayed.

Selecting the mybook ip address causes all the shares to be displayed.

Selecting the mycloud ip address just displays a blank list.

In fstab I have mounted them in exactly the same way. What could I have missed?

Don’t know.  Never have used XBMC.

But the terminology you’re using is confusing.

In both the My Cloud and My Book Live, there’s ONLY one share with NFS.   And that share (or "export) is just /nfs.

Everything else is a folder within that export.

One thing I notice is that when mounting the My Book Live, the owner is a different UUID than when I mount the My Cloud.

However, the GROUP is the same (my local user gets mapped to the group), and all the folders have Group Read/Write/Execute.   So no problems there.

Maybe XBMC doesn’t like that, though.

In Ubuntu I mount them using NFS.

In windows I mount them using samba smb.

I have gotham xbmc on…

Raspberry pis using openelec which is a cut down linux with just xbmc installed on it.

Android

Ubuntu 13.10

On all the above hardware Gotham xbmc cannot see the NFS shares on the mycloud, but it can see the shares on the mybook. Xbmc can however see the smb shares on both mycloud and mybook.

Anyway I’ll see what the xbmc folk suggest.

I had the same problem with XBMC only seeing the empty /NFS folder.  To solve this you need to SSH to the MyCloud and update the /etc/exports file to point to the share you want to access via NFS.   Here is what I modified my exports file to:

/nfs/Media 192.168.0.0/24(rw,subtree_check,secure)

192.168.0.0\24 allows my entire home network to access the share, but you can lock this down to sepcific IP addresses.

After modifying the file, you must reboot the mycloud device.

@ Mildenhall,

Is XBMC Gotham not in Beta1 stage ?

I still use 12.3 and I have no problems with accessing the My Cloud, it even shows an ICON WD My Cloud under UPNP, NFS or Windows SMB and if I click on it I can access it. Whether videos or pictures.

WhatTheDeuce wrote:

I had the same problem with XBMC only seeing the empty /NFS folder.  To solve this you need to SSH to the MyCloud and update the /etc/exports file to point to the share you want to access via NFS.   Here is what I modified my exports file to:

/nfs/Media 192.168.0.0/24(rw,subtree_check,secure)

192.168.0.0\24 allows my entire home network to access the share, but you can lock this down to sepcific IP addresses.

After modifying the file, you must reboot the mycloud device.

Brill - thanks - this cured it!:smileyvery-happy:

Hello,

This did not work for me :cry:

OPENELEC3.2.4

WDMYCLOUD 3TB Firmware v03.04.01-230

I updated the /etc/exports file with /nfs/Media 192.168.0.0/24(rw,subtree_check,secure) and restarted MyCloud but did not work.

Is anyone having the problem still?

Please help - Thanks

It work fine for me. Have you rebooted your mycloud?

Hello,

Yes I just rebooted it again. My etc/exports file looks like this:

Use nobody user (uid 65534) for nfs guest. This is restricted from private

shares by ACLs.

/nfs *(rw,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check,insecure,crossmnt,anonuid=65534,anongid=1000)
/nfs/Public 192.168.0.0/24(rw,subtree_check,secure)

I’m I missing something?

Thanks

I have…

Use nobody user (uid 65534) for nfs guest. This is restricted from private# shares by ACLs.

/nfs *(rw,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check,insecure,crossmnt,anonuid=65534,anongid=1000)

It’s working!!!

I just did copy paste again, rebooted mycloud, restarted openelec (xbmc) as well, and it listed all sub folders in nfs/public!

Thanks for your help

What did you use to modify the file.

Nano